THE OSCARS 2013 main thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02 February 2013   #46
Originally Posted by Intervain: I'm a bit sad too that the guys receiving the award didn't speak up at the very beginning, instead of doing the cliche 'I thank my family' gig.


That's exactly what I thought when I saw it...
__________________
The Lady and the Reaper, Oscar-nominated animated short, here
 
Old 02 February 2013   #47
We should get Michael Moore on the VFX bandwagon.
He's not afraid of the point-blank.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #48
Michael Moore is a double edged sword. He's prone to exagerration to the point of misleading, if vfx could be portrayed as "lying" that would be detrimental.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #49
My feelings on the Oscars after last night: just anger. Working in LA and having contributed to plenty of movies it's extremely sad to see the VFX industry treated like this. Very hard to appreciate the rest of the award ceremony after that.
__________________
--
http://www.tobbeo.net/
 
Old 02 February 2013   #50
Originally Posted by TorbjornO: My feelings on the Oscars after last night: just anger. Working in LA and having contributed to plenty of movies it's extremely sad to see the VFX industry treated like this. Very hard to appreciate the rest of the award ceremony after that.


Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?

There comes a point where you have to draw the line.
__________________
Art Station - Tumblr
 
Old 02 February 2013   #51
I join the bandwagon of the ones who thought Brave winning was a sham. It shouldn't even be nominated with its dumb script and overall blandness. In fact it proves how the whole Oscar concept is nothing more than a marketing auction driven by lobbyists. Also the Michelle Obama thing was kind of ridiculous, its bad enough to get politics involved when debating if a movie is good or not.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #52
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?

There comes a point where you have to draw the line.


Is this a serious post? Not even sure why I made the effort to even acknowledge your reply.
__________________
--
http://www.tobbeo.net/
 
Old 02 February 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?

There comes a point where you have to draw the line.

Do you think that the janitorial staff was directly responsible for 85% of the visuals seen in a movie?
 
Old 02 February 2013   #54
Maybe vfx workers should make a spoof clip of the oscars with jawdropping characters/aliens and compelling dialogs and put it up on youtube for more public awareness. Using connections in the advertising industry one could easily persuade some top notch copywriters to come up with the creativity. (Nope I'm not the best candidate as english is not my native language)
__________________
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex & more violent..." Einstein
 
Old 02 February 2013   #55
Originally Posted by DSW: Do you think that the janitorial staff was directly responsible for 85% of the visuals seen in a movie?


That is opening a can of worms that cannot be really answered. One could also say, as an example, that the unquestionable quality of the LOTR triology compared to the debatable Hobbit is due to the team who made the practical effects, biggatures and real sets instead of all digital. Should they earn more merit than weta digital?

You can then apply the same logic and state that 80% of the blame in failed vfx heavy movies are the fault of the visual fx artists, and therefore that by natural law those same studios should close even if they only did what the director asked no?
 
Old 02 February 2013   #56
Originally Posted by Shesul: That is opening a can of worms that cannot be really answered. One could also say, as an example, that the unquestionable quality of the LOTR triology compared to the debatable Hobbit is due to the team who made the practical effects, biggatures and real sets instead of all digital. Should they earn more merit than weta digital?

You can then apply the same logic and state that 80% of the blame in failed vfx heavy movies are the fault of the visual fx artists, and therefore that by natural law those same studios should close even if they only did what the director asked no?
Oh no, not so fast.

YOU said "Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?"

And I commented. Do you think they are responsible for most of the work seen on the screen? How about answering THAT question?

"Unquestionable quality" concerning LOTR? There have already been people on this forum that question that quality. And some people like the Hobbit while others do not. When we get total Box Office results and the Hobbit makes only $10m, then you can say that. Otherwise the VFX apparently did a great job.

And in those movies that failed, it could VERY easily have been that it wasn't an interesting enough story for people to want to see. I didn't go to see John Carter because - despite the VFX that looked incredible in the trailers - it wasn't a movie that I WANTED to see. Story obviously has a great deal to do with it so no one can discount the draw of the story.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #57
Originally Posted by DSW: YOU said "Should they start giving awards for best janitorial efforts as well?"


Nop, it wasn't me
 
Old 02 February 2013   #58
Even though Geta-Ve is the one who said it. Ignore him. His post is a pointless comment and a distraction from the very real larger issues.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #59
I enjoyed Brave, but I loved Paranorman. I was a little sad that it didn't win.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #60
Originally Posted by Shesul: Nop, it wasn't me
Crap, sorry about that.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.