Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Here is a link to the video in case anyone missed it. They were pulling them from youtube very quickly so a friend put it on Vimeo.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #32
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrolm
Here is a link to the video in case anyone missed it. They were pulling them from youtube very quickly so a friend put it on Vimeo.

ya, i didn't even know what to think about that...

i was bit surprised that for a film, that was mostly VFX... the director of PI could have atleast said thanks to R&H... maybe he did and i missed it.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3dguy
or they got told not to make a joke and robert didn't get the message.

it looked like robert was getting a little pissed off by it all... he seems like he understands the hardship.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #34
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks for posting that video as I didn't get a chance to see it.

That was cringeworthy to watch, can't believe they actually cut his mike.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Oscars 2013: 'Life of Pi' Effects Winner Concerned for Rhythm & Hues' Future
http://www.thewrap.com/awards/colum...es-future-79081

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013...test-life-of-pi
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 02-25-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #36
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

My Oscar ramblings

A bit on the long side, but not a bad show tonight.

I only wish that the audience and news media would lighten up on McFarlane though. It really was a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. Seth is known for his tasteless and "too soon" jokes. He's reaped the benefits to the tune of $100M, thus far. It's a tad naive for Oscar attendees to and viewers to expect him to not do what he does best, crack wise in the most crude and tactless way possible.

Next time, Academy, if you want Billy Crystal then just get Billy Crystal. Otherwise, suck it up. The uneven and disappointing "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" was more insulting than Seth's joke, which (btw) nobody would've taken offense at had it come from the mouth of one of his cartoon characters.

As far as the R&H situation, it's a shame that the comment was cut short by the "Jaws" music, but I think that the "go away" music was pretty much unforgiving. Only the key awardees such as Tarantino seemed to be exempt.

What I found interesting was the comment Seth made about the industry crying poverty, yet raking in huge financials. So true, yet also so sad. Way too much to say on the way Hollywood handles its finances and reinvests (or fails to) in its own future. That's a whole other topic.

Not much to say about the awards themselves. Nice to see that they were spread out a little more evenly and no one movie hogged all of the trophies. However, the actual list of nominees was as safe as ever. I wish that the Oscars would recognize other movie genres and maybe stop being so stodgy.

Once again, to echo McFarlane's remark, it's typically contradictory that a flick like "Avengers" would make $1.5B, yet only get nominated for one award. Not saying that it was better than "Silver Linings Playbook", which only made 10% what "Avengers" did, but there's something that seems off here. There are just too many awesome movies that get ignored just because they aren't "Oscar movies"; the same applies for the Emmy awards too.

Kudos to Pixar for its "Brave" win, even if I think that Pixar mostly wins for being Pixar these days. (Poor "Wreck-It Ralph".)

BTW: Anybody else feel happy that "Argo" won Best Picture? I was so sure that Obama's presence telegraphed a big win for "Lincoln". Good to know that my gut was wrong.

Anyway, that's my spiel.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #37
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

actually the whole Obama awarding thing disgusted me... might as well let an animated character give out awards... OH WAIT!.. nevermind.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #38
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Oscars 2013: 'Life of Pi' Effects Winner Concerned for Rhythm & Hues' Future

This quote says it all:

Quote:
"We're not technicians ... we're artists, and if we don't do something to change the business model, we might lose some of the artistry," Westenhofer said.

In this day and age, where CG is such a huge part of the process, the artists behind the scenes are becoming as important as the actors on screen. More so sometimes.

To those people who think that artists are as replaceable as something like a hammer... It's not true. Every artist brings something of himself to the table. Any studio could've made something like "Toy Story", but only one studio could've made the actual "Toy Story". To suggest otherwise would be like saying that Clint Eastwood could be swapped out for Tommy Lee Jones because one old white guy is the same as the next.

IMO, there may be other studios to fill that R&H gap, but there's only one R&H.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #39
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
might as well let an animated character give out awards... OH WAIT!.. nevermind.

Not unprecedented though. The animated characters on a live telecast thing has been done to death. The Obama thing reeks of them [Oscar] trying to remain "of the people" and "hip", as if we're supposed to forget that she's the wife of a millionaire bureaucrat. That's kinda like my dad wearing his hat backwards and saying "OMG". I get what Obama was trying to do, join the celebration, but it came off as pandering. Though not president herself, I'm sure that even FLOTUS had something better and more important in this world to do last night.

Last edited by cookepuss : 02-25-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #40
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
That Jaws stunt is going to backfire on the academy:

The Oscars Get Bitten By ‘Jaws’

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013...bitten-by-jaws/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #41
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

I can see what they're saying, but I don't think that either the "Jaws" music or the cutaway were meant to be disrespectful. It's just an issue of time management. It doesn't matter who you are. One year it's Sally Field. The next, it's some 85 year old life time award recipient. This year it was the VFX guys. People always get cut off every year. It never fails. Even then, like this year, the show usually ends up running 30 minutes too long.

As much as I liked Seth's performance, a nip & tuck to his opener could've easily left more time for the acceptance speeches. They really rushed through those last 3 award presentations. It was just bad planning, imo. I mean, they didn't even plan for live renditions of all of the nominated songs, which they do every year.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #42
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
That Jaws stunt is going to backfire on the academy:

The Oscars Get Bitten By ‘Jaws’

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013...bitten-by-jaws/

Why should it though? Honestly, some people just drone on forever. Jesus christ, I don't need to know every single person that ever helped that person get to where they are, that is what interviews, and autobiographies are for.

There is a reason the English language has all inclusive verbiage.

"Thank you for the award, and thanks to everyone that made it possible."

Done.

As for the winners ... well, the only two I cared about were both a sham. Best CG movie, Brave?! Ugh, hardly. You could literally throw a dart at the list of nominees and get a better result than Brave. To echo a few here though, Paranorman, Pirates or Wreck-It should have taken the award.

And Argo, lord, don't get me started. I am a Canadian so I am sure anyone with an ounce of historic education will know why I detest that movie.

But, let's be honest, who really pays any heed to the Oscar winners anymore? The last movie I watched simply because it won an Oscar was Hurt Locker, and I really wish I hadn't.

Last edited by Geta-Ve : 02-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #43
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
I can see what they're saying, but I don't think that either the "Jaws" music or the cutaway were meant to be disrespectful. It's just an issue of time management. It doesn't matter who you are. One year it's Sally Field. The next, it's some 85 year old life time award recipient. This year it was the VFX guys. People always get cut off every year. It never fails. Even then, like this year, the show usually ends up running 30 minutes too long.
I don't think people would be bringing as much attention to it if it wasn't for a few other components such as the lead in with RDJ and Sam Jackson or with the amount of time it took for the music to come up. David S. Cohen of Variety reported that they brought the music up after 44.5 seconds yet Claudio Miranda, who won after them, spoke for about a minute without the music coming up.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
Intervain

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Magdalena Dadela
Senior Character Artist
Ubisoft Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
actually the whole Obama awarding thing disgusted me... might as well let an animated character give out awards... OH WAIT!.. nevermind.

EXACTLY... it was ridiculous bringing in a president's wife...

Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intervain
EXACTLY... it was ridiculous bringing in a president's wife...

Because ... ?

Thread Closed share thread