Blender 2.66 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Originally Posted by DataDay: Honestly I dont give a crap what happens to Autodesk.

Right, but its not only autodesk thats getting hurt this way...

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Originally Posted by DataDay: It is great for the "economy" as its competition. It also means higher levels of accessibility, which in turn creates demand. More users learn 3d, more demand for 3d products. It drives new industries like 3d printers, freelance work, advertising..ect

Honestly I dont give a crap what happens to Autodesk. Look at what they have done to the cg scene over the years and trying to control the professional market. They need to lose some revenue. Last I heard only about a small piece of over all profits from their software actually goes into R&D...with the rest going into the corporate pockets and those that run the corporation. It tells me their priorities are not on improving the software but milking a cow and keeping it milked.

I still use AD products for job reasons, and I actually love a few of them, but I'll be at the forefront encouraging others to drop AD like a bad habit until they start getting their act together. It's time for some change in CG application superiority.

Finally, CG apps are rarely used on their own. Blender makes a great companion application and I dont think it will result in other apps dying. The software foundation that promotes open source software says its not free as in free beer, but free as in freedom and we need a lot more of that in the coming days.
Exactly. Autodesk has been giving less and less, while asking for more....in a really crappy economy. It blows my mind that some yahoo in their corporate offices thought it a good idea to stick it to the studios, while many are going under. Software is a HUGE part of their expenditures, and if it takes an Open Source app kicking their tail to restore some common sense, then so be it.

That's what I'm talking about....balance....not swinging to the other extreme, as Critter has assumed. AD losing money several quarters in a row will make them take a sobering look at their business model and perhaps realize that they've squeezed too hard, in a rotten economy. Their subscription and upgrade policies are very coercive. If you stay on subscription, you get lousy updates, like Max 2013 (more like 2012.5), and if you skip a version or two, they stick it up your yang. They have tried to create a monopoly, and it's time for that practice to end.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
I wouldn't compare Linux and blender just because both are open source. You see linux in studios being the main os, but blender is not the main app of those studios (yet). And there are reasons for that.

Without free and competitive choices like linux, blender and gimp etc, software giants like MS, ADSK and Adobe wouldn't feel threatened at all and they wouldn't feel like they have to hire better developers in the first place. They'd rather hire better marketing people and lawyers.

Look at how intel hasn't improved much on core count and power for their cpus. All because AMD doesn't deliver lately. Everybody needs competition and the biggest competitors for software vendors are open source alternatives.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
Originally Posted by mustique: I wouldn't compare Linux and blender just because both are open source. You see linux in studios being the main os, but blender is not the main app of those studios (yet). And there are reasons for that.

Without free and competitive choices like linux, blender and gimp etc, software giants like MS, ADSK and Adobe wouldn't feel threatened at all and they wouldn't feel like they have to hire better developers in the first place. They'd rather hire better marketing people and lawyers.

Look at how intel hasn't improved much on core count and power for their cpus. All because AMD doesn't deliver lately. Everybody needs competition and the biggest competitors for software vendors are open source alternatives.
Great point. Intel is the perfect example of Corporate greed and sloth, in the absence of competition. When AMD stated publicly that they were dropping out of the CPU arms race, that should be the signal for every single CG software developer to get on board the GPU bandwagon.

The GPU arms race is alive and well....and VRAM capacity is becoming less and less of an issue. I personally think AD thought/thinks they have a stranglehold on the 3D marketplace. Time for a reality check.

Old 02 February 2013   #20
Originally Posted by AbnRanger: Exactly. Autodesk has been giving less and less, while asking for more....in a really crappy economy. It blows my mind that some yahoo in their corporate offices thought it a good idea to stick it to the studios, while many are going under. Software is a HUGE part of their expenditures, and if it takes an Open Source app kicking their tail to restore some common sense, then so be it.

Software is not a huge expenditure. Wages / Rent / Electricity for heat light and power are. The software can be hired and bought at a bulk discount and is entirely tax deductible and can be written off after 3 years as a depreciating asset.
In the FX depatemnt we use Houdini as the support is awesome and worth every penny you may think software is expensive but I would rather pay the best rates of pay to the people developing it rather than having some ad hoc people working for free and waiting for ever to get a fix

b

Old 02 February 2013   #21
Blender 2.66 Overview

Originally Posted by mr Bob: In the FX depatemnt we use Houdini as the support is awesome and worth every penny you may think software is expensive but I would rather pay the best rates of pay to the people developing it rather than having some ad hoc people working for free and waiting for ever to get a fix

b

I hear great things about Houdini support, but I should also add that the speed at which most bugs get fixed in many Open Source packages, including Blender, is incredibly quick. It's not uncommon for me to submit a bug report and have it fixed in under a day. On several occasions I've had bugs fixed in under an hour.

Blender 2.66 Overview
I've just finished off my overview of new features and improvements in Blender 2.66. You can check it out on Blender Cookie: http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-ser...ew-blender-266/

Studio Portfolio

Last edited by shadowdragon : 02 February 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added my Overview of Blender 2.66

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Originally Posted by mr Bob: Software is not a huge expenditure. Wages / Rent / Electricity for heat light and power are. The software can be hired and bought at a bulk discount and is entirely tax deductible and can be written off after 3 years as a depreciating asset.
In the FX depatemnt we use Houdini as the support is awesome and worth every penny you may think software is expensive but I would rather pay the best rates of pay to the people developing it rather than having some ad hoc people working for free and waiting for ever to get a fix

b

It really depends on the circumstances of the work being done - sure if you are largish studio with regular employees wages are going to eclipse everything else (I think in our studio a Max license is maybe a month worth of wages).

For a lot of the small game studios trying to get by on the smell of an oily rag in the local area (on the hope that they make something that sells well). Software is a significant cost.

Old 02 February 2013   #23
Wink

To cut long story short:

- Competition is good. Lack of competition is bad for everyone.
- Free software wont hurt commercial software. Linux doesn't hurt Microsoft. Open Office / Libre Office didn't hurt Microsoft Office.
- Microsoft is still alive despite all those flavor of Linux. Oracle still alive (and one of the largest company too) despite the popularity of MySQL, and other flavor of open source database system.

And Blender hasn't been on the MySQL / Linux level yet.

Competition is important. If not someone might end up paying USD 3000 for renewal license just for a single new tool.

Old 02 February 2013   #24
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I see what you are saying about innovation etc...

But really giving out free software isnt good for the economy. You complain about job cuts and sudios closing doors but this is exacly what wil happen at autodesk and other software companies if everyone jumps ship towards free software and that also isnt good for us in the long run.

And your point is?

Why should people shell out money for a company that continues to raise its prices and does less and less innovating? Answer, you shouldn't. Actually, I don't think that software prices are the big problem in the VFX industry, it's globalization and subsidies - but that's already another thread here. And considering the three main CG apps that Autodesk develops aren't anywhere close to their main cash cows, I don't think it would be a great problem. Yes, people will lose jobs, but then people are losing jobs at these VFX houses and perhaps they will lower their prices are start innovating again. I say jump to Blender and light a fire under the as$es on the AD boardroom. They obviously need something to get them to see that THEY are the ones killing their software, not the users.

Old 02 February 2013   #25
Originally Posted by KayosIII: ... (I think in our studio a Max license is maybe a month worth of wages).
For a lot of the small game studios trying to get by on the smell of an oily rag in the local area (on the hope that they make something that sells well). Software is a significant cost.

i don't know, maybe you are underestimating the cost of labor, because 1 seat of 3dsmax probably just covers for one artist and one secretary, one month. so for a small shop with 5 artists, 1 producer, 1 assistant, 1 admin, it comes to around 40K (euro in my case)? let alone office, power, server tech, whatever.... its about 300euro a year for one subscription... so you got software with 1500.- versus ~500.000.- for wages a year.

well, and additionally i would rather pay for "on-the-edge" tools than trailing behind in most feature/workflow areas.... at least thats what the making of of sintel looked like... struggling with (sometimes) extremly basic stuff which is standard in most/if not all commercial packages... so yes, investing 1500.- in the productivity of your team is a good investment.

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 02 February 2013   #26
Originally Posted by derOesi: i don't know, maybe you are underestimating the cost of labor, because 1 seat of 3dsmax probably just covers for one artist and one secretary, one month. so for a small shop with 5 artists, 1 producer, 1 assistant, 1 admin, it comes to around 40K (euro in my case)? let alone office, power, server tech, whatever.... its about 300euro a year for one subscription... so you got software with 1500.- versus ~500.000.- for wages a year.

Sorry, I meant one artist for one month not the whole wages for the studio. (it might be closer to two months for some of our artists) - But we are in Australia and get to pay extra for our software. Software licensing isn't the largest cost but it isn't insignificant - especially this year.

Quote: well, and additionally i would rather pay for "on-the-edge" tools than trailing behind in most feature/workflow areas.... at least thats what the making of of sintel looked like... struggling with (sometimes) extremly basic stuff which is standard in most/if not all commercial packages... so yes, investing 1500.- in the productivity of your team is a good investment.

It depends on what you need to do. For low poly game asset modelling I would probably take Blender over Maya if the money were coming out of my own pocket. If I were doing film production it might be a different story, in this case I think I would feel that the productivity difference was worth the purchase.

It also depends on how often you need to do it. For instance I need to do 2D stuff (mostly UI element design) once every couple of weeks. I might save a bit of time by using Adobe Creative suit but it doesn't add up to enough to justify the expense. My bosses appreciate the fact that I don't lump this cost onto them.

Also it's worth pointing out that you can get a Maya + Blender license for exactly the same amount as a Maya license. Which is helpful if you find a particular task can be done faster in the later.

also 1500 is a lot less per seat than the nearly 5000 we are paying for a new seat of 3DStudio Max

Last edited by KayosIII : 02 February 2013 at 04:47 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #27
Congrats. Seems a very solid release.

Old 02 February 2013   #28
Well, this isn't a Blender thing, but on the point of "cutting edge" tech from AD or some other major CG software maker, I found 3D Coat saved me tons of time doing stuff that used to take hours and days. Now, it takes minutes and hours.

It's one of many tools I use, including AD software, but I have to say for the time it's taking me to make hard surface and organic, animation-friendly and/or game-ready (low-poly, high fidelity) assets, I'll gladly throw $350 at 3D Coat over pretty much any AD software. Don't get me wrong. 3D Coat has it's own problems, but with Blender, Cheetah3D, Silo, ZBrush, etc. there really is no reason to spend $1k + on stuff that doesn't show much progression.

In fact, you can get Blender, Cheetah3D, Silo, ZBrush, 3D Coat, Topogun, Inkscape, Pixelmator, ArtRage, and more for less than $1k. That leaves a lot of room for hardware and employee payroll and gives you tons of capabilities that generally work really well with both UDK and Unity.

Keep in mind that I can't speak to the VFX side of this, as it's not my area of expertise. I'm looking at this from the perspective of animation and game modeling. Maya is great for animation, but I've seen animation that others have done using Blender that is just as effective.

Last edited by ralvord : 02 February 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #29
another solid feature update form Blender, congrats to all the Development team around the world.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02 February 2013   #30
Originally Posted by derOesi: well, and additionally i would rather pay for "on-the-edge" tools than trailing behind in most feature/workflow areas.... at least thats what the making of of sintel looked like... struggling with (sometimes) extremly basic stuff which is standard in most/if not all commercial packages... so yes, investing 1500.- in the productivity of your team is a good investment.

Eh, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about Blenders capabilities from Sintel. Remember that the Blender Foundation movies are first and foremost about driving Blender development and the development goal for Sintel was to get Blender 2.5 (which at the start of production was barely more than alpha software, being as it was a ground up re-write of the core event system and UI) into something useful. The reason why it seemed like basic stuff was missing was simply because it was! I think things have improved a bit in the 3 years since 2.5 was released.

I doubt anyone would ordinarily start a project with alpha software, but in this case that was basically the point.

Anyway, back on topic: Congrats to the devs on another release!

Thread Closed share thread