Veteran

portfolio
Joel Wagner
Graphic Designer
Eyephoria Design
Mills River, USA

Blender 2.66 released

Quote:
The Blender Foundation and online developer community is proud to present Blender 2.66. This release contains long awaited features like rigid body physics simulation, dynamic topology sculpting and matcap display.

Other new features include Cycles hair rendering, support for high pixel density displays, much better handling of premultiplied and straight alpha transparency, a vertex bevel tool, a mesh cache modifier and a new SPH particle fluid dynamics solver.

http://www.blender.org/development/...ontent=FaceBook

Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
DavidFenner
portfolio
David Fenner
Smog
Santiago, Chile

Blender just keeps getting better

fennercg.com

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
AbnRanger
Banned
portfolio
Don
USA

Blender is really impressive these days. At the slow rate of improvements and recent cost increases of Autodesk products, I can see a big shift toward Blender being added to studio pipelines. Especially seeing all these job cuts and bankruptcies at even the largest studios.

Time to send a clear message to Autodesk stockholders...raising prices while studios are going under, left and right, is a horrific business model.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Blender, Modo and Cinema4D now come standart with multimillion brush sculpting power and blender just added dynamic meshes, that's insane!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Edgemaster
Alex Antuna

portfolio
Alex Antuna
3d artist
HKS
Dallas, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgemaster
Very cool. Just this year I've started learning Blender and I'm very happy on how much power this program has and just keeps improving. All these years I've used 3d max and some C4D but Blender has caught my eye and I plan on learning it.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
JSM
portfolio
Jonathan Mielke
Nunn, USA

Found a video of dynamic topology sculpting in use:

http://youtu.be/UQX0LhEPUXM

Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnRanger
Blender is really impressive these days. At the slow rate of improvements and recent cost increases of Autodesk products, I can see a big shift toward Blender being added to studio pipelines. Especially seeing all these job cuts and bankruptcies at even the largest studios.

Time to send a clear message to Autodesk stockholders...raising prices while studios are going under, left and right, is a horrific business model.

I see what you are saying about innovation etc...

But really giving out free software isnt good for the economy. You complain about job cuts and sudios closing doors but this is exacly what wil happen at autodesk and other software companies if everyone jumps ship towards free software and that also isnt good for us in the long run.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

The dynamic topology is indeed awesome: I can smoothly work with more than 24 million polygons while sculpting in Blender, and this allows me to add ridiculous detail to specific areas.

And matcaps for sculpt mode! And integrated viewport bullet! And have you seen the incredibly handy mesh cache modifier, enabling easy mdd import in one modifier: essential for interoperability - very impressive.

Cycles is getting better and better, and has now become a viable renderer.

Great job, BF.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
I see what you are saying about innovation etc...

But really giving out free software isnt good for the economy. You complain about job cuts and sudios closing doors but this is exacly what wil happen at autodesk and other software companies if everyone jumps ship towards free software and that also isnt good for us in the long run.

What about Linux? Lots of studios working witg "free" Linux - has not brought down the industry yet. ;-)
What happens will happen - some jobs are driven to extinction, while other new type of jobs arise out of the ashes. Been like that in the past, will be like that in the future. If most hobbyists, freelancers and semi-pros switch to Blender (which I cannot see happen as it is) other job opportunities are created. Some sort of balance will be maintained.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
DavidFenner
portfolio
David Fenner
Smog
Santiago, Chile

Yeah... let's all buy windows and ditch linux so Bill Gates can hire more people and give them money... as if he didn't get the big part of the cake.

fennercg.com

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
What about Linux? Lots of studios working witg "free" Linux - has not brought down the industry yet. ;-)
What happens will happen - some jobs are driven to extinction, while other new type of jobs arise out of the ashes. Been like that in the past, will be like that in the future. If most hobbyists, freelancers and semi-pros switch to Blender (which I cannot see happen as it is) other job opportunities are created. Some sort of balance will be maintained.

Different story.

The only reason why linux isnt as succesfull as you'd expect is because most apps dont support it (yet). Its getting more and more attention from developpers every day, partly because the consumers demand for it.

Btw, i was just pointing out how contradictive AbnRanger's comment was. It doesnt make much sense if you think about. Ppl want everything for free but then when some commercial company has to close doors and put ppl on the street they complain about that... Its kinda nave.

Everyone can download high end 3D software for free. Which is nice, right? More power to the ppl and more creative awesomeness... But then dont complain that your salary is going down the drain as a result from that, etc... its basic economics.

I know ppl wont agree, just because it doesnt 'sound positive' but its the hard reality.
Not saying i dont like blender and/or linux. Im just saying the complications it brings with it and finding a solution to this isnt easy.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 02-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Edgemaster
Alex Antuna

portfolio
Alex Antuna
3d artist
HKS
Dallas, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgemaster
For me as a max user I hope it would innovate Autodesk to start looking to stand above the free programs and make a stonger product if they feel threatened by programs like Blender.

And what about sculptris and Zbrush? Pixologic gives out sculptris for free too? And looks like Pixologic is doing just fine..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemaster
For me as a max user I hope it would innovate Autodesk to start looking to stand above the free programs and make a stonger product if they feel threatened by programs like Blender.

And what about sculptris and Zbrush? Pixologic gives out sculptris for free too? And looks like Pixologic is doing just fine..

Why you think pixelogic has bough sculptris?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

True enough, and I understand what you are saying. Reality is, we are (unfortunately? Fortunately?) stuck with this so-called "free market" debit fractional banking economy thing, and the populous is manipulated into thinking that these sheets of paper called "money" actually have any real worth based on some kind of physical product (used to be gold). Great for a small number of families/groups of people at the top of the food chain in our world, and stabilizes the overall behaviour of the masses quite nicely to boot.

Ha, just kidding!

We'll see what happens. Only thirty years ago VFX, 3D, game dev did not exist as industries. Probably they'll change so much again in another twenty years, or so.

Things change. Who can say what type of industries will arise in a couple of years down the road?

Quote:
Different story.

The only reason why linux isnt as succesfull as you'd expect is because most apps dont support it (yet). Its getting more and more attention from developpers every day, partly because the consumers demand for it.

Btw, i was just pointing out how contradictive AbnRanger's comment was. It doesnt make much sense if you think about. Ppl want everything for free but then when some commercial company has to close doors and put ppl on the street they complain about that... Its kinda nave.

Everyone can download high end 3D software for free. Which is nice, right? More power to the ppl and more creative awesomeness... But then dont complain that your salary is going down the drain as a result from that, etc... its basic economics.

I know ppl wont agree, just because it doesnt 'sound positive' but its the hard reality.
Not saying i dont like blender and/or linux. Im just saying the complications it brings with it and finding a solution to this isnt easy.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
DataDay
Veteran

portfolio
Jonathan Michael Osment
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:

It is great for the "economy" as its competition. It also means higher levels of accessibility, which in turn creates demand. More users learn 3d, more demand for 3d products. It drives new industries like 3d printers, freelance work, advertising..ect

Honestly I dont give a crap what happens to Autodesk. Look at what they have done to the cg scene over the years and trying to control the professional market. They need to lose some revenue. Last I heard only about a small piece of over all profits from their software actually goes into R&D...with the rest going into the corporate pockets and those that run the corporation. It tells me their priorities are not on improving the software but milking a cow and keeping it milked.

I still use AD products for job reasons, and I actually love a few of them, but I'll be at the forefront encouraging others to drop AD like a bad habit until they start getting their act together. It's time for some change in CG application superiority.

Finally, CG apps are rarely used on their own. Blender makes a great companion application and I dont think it will result in other apps dying. The software foundation that promotes open source software says its not free as in free beer, but free as in freedom and we need a lot more of that in the coming days.

Thread Closed share thread