Sony Previews PlayStation 4: More Power, More Immersive Games Planned

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Solothores: AI in games hasn't even found the sophistication that places them beyond something as basic as pathfinding issues, the plague of the age of dune and c&c.

What would you like from AI in next-gen games?

02 February 2013
I wasn't that impressed. The GUI design for "Deep Down" doesn't even seem half-practical or believeable to be gameplay... No reticules? How did he aim the bow? And then just this cryptic left-right scrolling "item symbols" thing?

Why does the inventory menu appear both left and right sides of the screen? Is it a two player game? Did they show anybody playing?

After the Killzone 2 stunt Sony pulled? I find it hard to believe any early demos.

But I do like the PSVita.

Also:

Originally Posted by David Cage: “We’ve reached a point with the PS4 where you can see subtle emotions in a character’s face and look into his eyes and see his soul,” said Cage. “Game creators can forget about technology limitations and focus on game experiences that will take you to places you’ve never been before, and feel emotions you’ve never felt before [in a game]. We are now only limited by our own imagination."

What is he talking about? Even if the PS4 were the equivalent of an entire Hollywood pipeline, doesn't he realize how much hard work goes into getting the eyes of characters to "work" in films like AVATAR? It doesn't make it easier! It just means you have the means now to spend hours upon hours of your life just getting that glint in the eyes to work and the right amount of eye movement to stick.

It's not like what it was in the N64 days when you pasted a photo-projection texture map of the face (including the eyes!) and just called it done.... It's a totally different disparity to working.

Unless he means the PS4 now comes with a built-in game engine that has pre-sets and you can make all your characters like Create-A-Wrestlers... then I don't know how the PS4 is going to allow you to "make games without a care in the world" as David implies.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 11:55 PM.

02 February 2013
I really liked the mo-cap puppeteering bit with the move controller. It's like animating live.

The tech demos all impressed me a lot. I had no interest in gaming when I was younger, but as it gets ever closer to theatrical-quality CG work, I find myself paying more attention. Some of the visuals are just staggering.

I do think the diminishing returns thing might kick in. I definitely notice the difference and still see room for improvement. But it may be like the difference between dvd and blu-ray to the average consumer. We can make absolutely things better, but will people think it's worth paying for? Will the economics support it?

02 February 2013
eration of consoles especially with the quality that Sony has presented. At the same time, I can't say I am too excited for the PS4 mainly because my PS3 just sits around as a blu-ray player. Once the new Xbox is announced, I will decide which one I am going with for the next generation

Did they mention bluray?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I wasn't that impressed. The GUI design for "Deep Down" doesn't even seem half-practical or believeable to be gameplay... No reticules? How did he aim the bow? And then just this cryptic left-right scrolling "item symbols" thing?

Why does the inventory menu appear both left and right sides of the screen? Is it a two player game? Did they show anybody playing?

After the Killzone 2 stunt Sony pulled? I find it hard to believe any early demos.

I didn't think Deep Down showed any gameplay. It was just an example of the kind complexity you can render in-engine. I would've liked to see something like the WiiU Zelda demo where there's some interactivity to show it's not pre-rendered.

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: What is he talking about? Even if the PS4 were the equivalent of an entire Hollywood pipeline, doesn't he realize how much hard work goes into getting the eyes of characters to "work" in films like AVATAR? It doesn't make it easier! It just means you have the means now to spend hours upon hours of your life just getting that glint in the eyes to work and the right amount of eye movement to stick.

It's not like what it was in the N64 days when you pasted a photo-projection texture map of the face (including the eyes!) and just called it done.... It's a totally different disparity to working.

Unless he means the PS4 now comes with a built-in game engine that has pre-sets and you can make all your characters like Create-A-Wrestlers... then I don't know how the PS4 is going to allow you to "make games without a care in the world" as David implies.

Nowhere did he say that it would be easier, just that the technological limitations would have less relevance on restricting what you could do. The technology isn't the limitation, time and money for damn sure is.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: As an FX guy - the thing that I always remain skeptical of with the use of pre-rendered demos is when they show obvious fluid sims (fire trails, soldiers on fire). Because the 'game-KZ2' replaced those FX with *obvious* particles (the game's fire trail at least). Particles for fire and smoke always looks like 'particles' to me... Those types of effects have not hit 'hollywood-movie-levels-in-games' as far as *I* am concerned!

Deep Down is suggesting beaucoup amounts of fluids with those fire FX! I don't doubt game-fluids are coming some day. And I can't wait to try the tool-set (demo videos & white papers don't count). But thats the gauntlet
I'm throwing down for any game platform: Show me fluids in a game engine!

And 'no' turbulence particles ain't the same thing.

Again. Show me the tech. What they 'say' and whats *true* are different things. Looking forward to being proven wrong...someday.

Exactly. Another pretty demo playing from some mysterious, behind-the-curtain hardware. Sure, they can say what it's running on, but companies have fudged this time and again over the years. And even if it is ultimately shipping with whatever config they used, it's just another pretty demo showing off a couple of overly-detailed characters. Get back to me when you have a player-controlled scenario with a dozen characters and who-knows-how-many npc's onscreen.

And seriously, with the state of game devs these days, very few companies are going to have the time and/or budgets to produce a respectable slate of games that come anywhere close to looking like this.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Michael5188: People kept talking about diminishing returns in graphics, and how you won't really see any huge improvements in game's visuals anymore.

I never understood that belief. I look at current gen and I can definitely see room for improvement, stretched textures, funky shadows everywhere, odd faces, etc. Deep Down is just proof of how much further game's graphics can go.

Sure, we will see a diminishing return in time, but i don't think we're near that point yet. In fact with us leaving such a long console generation, I think next gen visuals are really going to blow the socks off people. We don't realize how dated the games we're playing right now actually are, and they look good to us.

There's certainly still plenty of room for improvement, and stuff for PS4 certainly looks better than PS3, but the difference between PS4 and PS3 seems a lot smaller than PS2 to PS3.

02 February 2013
Quote: I have to say the most impressive game for me was Watch Dogs once again. What an incredible looking game. Hats off to Ubisoft.

saw the video for watch dogs last year and was really amazed at how good the game looks. the demo that was shown at the ps4 event was running off a pc with specs of the ps4

02 February 2013
Quote: You should play crysis 3 (on PC), best smoke/fire/explosions I have seen in a game yet.

Damn, didn't even know it existed yet. Is it more like Crysis 1 or 2? Crysis 1 was so cool but the 2 was really boring (no more freedom).

Not sure my GTX 285 is will be up to it...

02 February 2013
PS3 wasn't very exciting for a non-shooter gamer like me :( So my interest in new console had been pretty low.

02 February 2013
Immersive gameplay my arse! How long have we been hearing that old chestnut? Yes, the visuals get better as expected, but the vast percentage of modern games are dull, boring affairs with linear, repetitive gameplay.

Take Assasin's Creed, Fallout 3, and the latest Skyrim as examples of games that promised 'immersive gameplay the likes of which we'd never seen before' when they were released.....the reality was very different. All 3 titles were practically identical in terms of gameplay dynamics. Run about, start the main quest. Run about, start a few sub-quests on the way. Over and over. The same repetitive formula again and again. Poorly conceived puzzle elements. Frustratingly drawn-out cutscenes. I'll still take Zelda on the SNES any day.
Granted, Skyrim was a visual joy to play on my PC(at times) but after about 30 hours of gameplay I found it so tedious. The dragon battles AI the exact same every time(and there are a lot of dragon battles)

Then there's the woeful Call of Duty Modern Warfare games on Xbox. The original and best in the genre, Medal of Honour on the PC, still miles ahead in terms of gameplay.(and not too far behind graphically!!)

And I won't even start on 'L.A Noire'....L.A bore more like.

Back to basics I say. Gameplay first, visuals second.

02 February 2013
Quote: Take Assasin's Creed, Fallout 3, and the latest Skyrim as examples of games that promised 'immersive gameplay the likes of which we'd never seen before' when they were released.....the reality was very different. All 3 titles were practically identical in terms of gameplay dynamics. Run about, start the main quest. Run about, start a few sub-quests on the way. Over and over. The same repetitive formula again and again.

I really enjoyed the first episodes of A Creed. I still haven't completed the new one and have been doing more hunting than real missions. I find going through the forest a lot more fun.

I guess when e3 comes around we will hear more about the price, and if the ps4 will have 4k support.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 02 February 2013 at 03:26 AM.

02 February 2013
There is 4k support for video. Sony already confirmed.

Originally Posted by earwax69: Damn, didn't even know it existed yet. Is it more like Crysis 1 or 2? Crysis 1 was so cool but the 2 was really boring (no more freedom).

Not sure my GTX 285 is will be up to it...

It is somewhere between crysis 1 and 2 I would say. Definitely bigger environments than crysis 2.

It looks so ridiculously gorgeous every cg artist should play it for visuals alone. Cryengine 3 is a marvel.

02 February 2013
Quote: There is 4k support for video. Sony already confirmed.

It is somewhere between crysis 1 and 2 I would say. Definitely bigger environments than crysis 2.
It looks so ridiculously gorgeous every cg artist should play it for visuals alone. Cryengine 3 is a marvel.

ok, i didn't see any info on it. i watched a quick look gameplay of far cry 3 and it looks damn good.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/qui...is-3/2300-7059/

here is some more info on whats inside the ps4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/...hardware-inside

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 02 February 2013 at 04:26 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou: Nowhere did he say that it would be easier, just that the technological limitations would have less relevance on restricting what you could do. The technology isn't the limitation, time and money for damn sure is.

Yeah, I guess.. I just thought at first the statement was directed at game makers. I still remember how the first of the video game dev closures began in the PS3 era and some were saying that the move into High Definition (and the PS3's difficult hardware config) made life harder... because you had to expend more resources to make the pretty images.

Again.. in exaggerated contrast to working on say, a DS game or a Wii game, you just flit through the assets quickly.

I just heard echoes of that in David Cage's statements... and it sounded like.. if I was a game artist.. It sounded intimidating because your pipeline just got ever closer to those Hollywood things that you know are very difficult to maintain.

Thread Closed share thread