Sony Previews PlayStation 4: More Power, More Immersive Games Planned

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Sony Previews PlayStation 4: More Power, More Immersive Games Planned

Quote:
"Sony held an event Wednesday at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City to unveil its PlayStation 4 -- and while it declined to reveal a specific launch date, price point, or even images of what the new console will look like, its gaming partners promised the powerful new console would provide immersive hands-free gaming experiences that rival Hollywood blockbusters."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...n-4-more-422934
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
it was pretty exciting when blizzard decided to put diablo 3 on both the ps3 and 4
i hope they do the same for the microsoft conference.

specs
  • 8-core x86 CPU
  • 2 Teraflops GPU integrated on same die.
  • 8GB GDDR5 RAM (shared)
  • Stereo Camera on the controller with a light bar, like the Wii, to judge distance to TV.
  • Also touch sensor in the controller.
  • (Update/correction: At least a ...) Spindle-based Hard Drive

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...-Specs-Revealed

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...APU-or-Discrete

i think the biggest feature which makes developers happy is how much easier it will be for them to make games.

i thought this was an amazing representation of whats to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAa...eature=youtu.be

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 02 February 2013 at 05:20 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: it was pretty exciting when blizzard decided to put diablo 3 on both the ps3 and 4
i hope they do the same for the microsoft conference.

specs
  • 8-core x86 CPU
  • 2 Teraflops GPU integrated on same die.
  • 8GB GDDR5 RAM (shared)
  • Stereo Camera on the controller with a light bar, like the Wii, to judge distance to TV.
  • Also touch sensor in the controller.
  • (Update/correction: At least a ...) Spindle-based Hard Drive

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...-Specs-Revealed

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...APU-or-Discrete

i think the biggest feature which makes developers happy is how much easier it will be for them to make games.

i thought this was an amazing representation of whats to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAa...eature=youtu.be

My jaw dropped when I saw Deep Down.

02 February 2013
Looks pretty impressive so far, I was surprised by what was shown. However Diablo III coming to a console which was predicted long before is kind of a slap to the face to us true diablo fans. The game was already dumbed down, and now it only confirms why.

02 February 2013
Deep Down certainly looked stunning, but it just reminded me too much of the Killzone 2 target in-engine render that was played back on the PS 3 launch and sourced a lot of hype that quickly died down once the first games got released. If they manage to keep that shown quality at release in all of its aspects, great - but I remain doubtful.

Consider me impressed though with Sony, they certainly are trying to show a shift in attitude, nice to see that the PS 4 got the bump to 8GB GDDR5 after initial rumours indicating 4GB. Wonder if this was planned all along or bumped in order to counter the Durango rumours. Epic and Crytek should be happy. Their wish of 8GB finally came true.

Also, no excuses anymore for bad PC-ports, with the released specs, cross-platform should really be the norm. Also the Gaika part is bad news for WII U and it's former unique selling point (aside of their franchises), I don't know what's happening in Tokyo at Nintendo, but I expect Iwata to go through with his resignation and end the age of some major mismanagement in his older days. Hopefully they hand over to someone young, that is going to shift that company back to what made it great back in their older days. I would be surprised if they manage a comeback with the WII U, it looks like it's going to be a "dying"platform to me, sooner or later.

The social gaming aspect by Sony on the other hand leaves me cold but I can see how it has grown into a big feature.

Wonder why they didn't co-operate the sharing element with Youtube, seeing that so much gameplay footage in walkthroughs and let's play end's up being consumed over there, people enjoy being spectators, but Youtube nurtures the content provides by allowing them to earn an income which feels to me being one of the main reason there's so many channels around putting content online.

Exciting days, PS4, "Durango/Xbox" and Oculus Rift. There's quite a horizon to look forward to.

NB:
The only painful part to me was Square. Showing a demo that has been shown already on one of the major events this year and then announcing a final fantasy... wow, wasted opportunity.

The stone had skidded arc'd and bloomed into islands
Kamau Brathwaite

Last edited by Solothores : 02 February 2013 at 07:01 AM.

02 February 2013
fun times ahead indeed

02 February 2013
The actual console control as far as starting up games seems to be greatly improved. You won't have to wait hours for an entire game to download before playing, and if you want you can turn of the console during a game and then when you turn it on it goes right back to where you were without having to reboot everything and get back to the game. Also the added chip for downloads will be nice since it allows for downloading while the console is off. With those types of features it really shows how far behind Wii U is, like just catching up to last generation and it's already behind. Wii U also loses the advantage of the gamepad play since all PS4 games will stream to the Vita.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Solothores: Deep Down certainly looked stunning, but it just reminded me too much of the Killzone 2 target in-engine render that was played back on the PS 3 launch and sourced a lot of hype that quickly died down once the first games got released. If they manage to keep that shown quality at release in all of its aspects, great - but I remain doubtful.

For all KZ's faults graphics was not one of them, the actual release looked better than the PS3 launch renders, the hype definitely did not die down and in fact it was often cited as an example of delivering on a promise despite the original being pre-rendered.

02 February 2013
http://www.1up.com/news/e3-2007-killzone-2-target

Yeah-it really did get it pretty accurate! In some cases, even better.

02 February 2013
I am definitely looking forward to this upcoming generation of consoles especially with the quality that Sony has presented. At the same time, I can't say I am too excited for the PS4 mainly because my PS3 just sits around as a blu-ray player. Once the new Xbox is announced, I will decide which one I am going with for the next generation.

02 February 2013
yeah..Next Gen....PS4 for sure.

My wallet stare at me with her angry face
i say : not @ 2013 babe
wallet : how can i trust u ?
i say : coz..this year i going to get a new cell phone before ps4
wallet : WT...

02 February 2013
I think PS4 looks like an ideal PS3 (how it should be back then).8 gigs is 8 times more than PS3 had (if not 16). I think it should be sufficient to have crisp textures and shadowmaps finally, something PS3 was so much lucking... (poor developers). I can only imagine how the next Gran Turismo will look with that capacity.
The new controller looks very good.
The announced graphics didn't impress me, and I think it's because it's harder to impress today than 7 years ago. I still mis contact shadows in some demos, characters seem floating.
Square indeed looked strange with their announcement, but they mean they can deliver this kind of graphics on PS4 I guess.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: My jaw dropped when I saw Deep Down.

You know the maniacal laughing that people do when they are truly amazed by something. This is what happened after I watched that trailer. Utterly insane and totally exceeding my expectations for this next console generation. Not just the incredible LOD with the displacement but the particles are tears of joy inducingly superb.

Wow. Also thought the Killzone trailer was superb but the movement too fast to really drink in the clearly beautiful level of detail. Hope they have a tourist mode for those of us who don't feel like shooting stuff all the time and just want to explore the marvelous world they've created.

The extra effort to make the controllers Move capable makes me think it will feature VR as an option built in. They can't not see what John Carmack is doing. I reckon it'll be that or something similar to what MS are doing with the Kinect working in conjunction with a projector to make your furniture and lounge "disappear" like a window into another world. Just so cool.

02 February 2013
People kept talking about diminishing returns in graphics, and how you won't really see any huge improvements in game's visuals anymore.

I never understood that belief. I look at current gen and I can definitely see room for improvement, stretched textures, funky shadows everywhere, odd faces, etc. Deep Down is just proof of how much further game's graphics can go.

Sure, we will see a diminishing return in time, but i don't think we're near that point yet. In fact with us leaving such a long console generation, I think next gen visuals are really going to blow the socks off people. We don't realize how dated the games we're playing right now actually are, and they look good to us.

www.MichaelSime.com

02 February 2013
I might be wrong but doesn't the current gen ps3 & xbox use only 512mb of Ram. 8Gb is monstrous. On the flip side, game development is going to be more lengthy/expensive/risky if one were to take advantage of it all right?

Thread Closed share thread