Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

iAnimate.net Winter 2013 Member Showcase

I didn't see anyone post this here yet, so here is the iAnimate.net Winter 2013 Member Showcase. Congratulations to all involved.

direct link: https://vimeo.com/57058903

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Holy crap that opening anim is the best I have seen.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Larry_g1s
Sinner Saved by Grace

portfolio
Larry Vasquez
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Holy crap that opening anim is the best I have seen.
Totally agree! Cesc Font is a star.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Grgeon
Castrobi Kenobi

portfolio
George Castro
Senior Cinematic Artist, Filmmaker
Escondido(San Diego), USA

Top notch work coming out of ianimate. You're stuff is looking awesome too Larry! Keep up the great work!

-George

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Great work all round....but...that opening shot is a masterpiece!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Pandusen
PRO
Martin Hinrichsen
Copenhagen, Denmark

masterpiece? It is perfectly alright, but i really think you guys are judging with your ears.. to me it is the voice performance that sells the piece, which is most likely taken from some movie.
never the less, a good idea and it works, but try watching it without sound, it is no better then the rest, which are quite good

Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxLupi
masterpiece? It is perfectly alright, but i really think you guys are judging with your ears.. to me it is the voice performance that sells the piece, which is most likely taken from some movie.
never the less, a good idea and it works, but try watching it without sound, it is no better then the rest, which are quite good

I think maybe you need to watch it several more times. You say the voice performance sells the piece. For me, the way the animator has captured the voice performance sells the piece. The subtle, emotional nuances. The great use of the principle of secondary action. I think your detraction of this piece is, perhaps, harsh.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
grrinc
Expert

Yes - the opening animation is amazing. I'm not even an expert but that whole piece was a joy to watch over and over again - and I don't know why. In fact, and I hate to say it, it makes the others look below par in comparison.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Pandusen
PRO
Martin Hinrichsen
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
I think your detraction of this piece is, perhaps, harsh.

Maybe, however I never intended to sound like I thought it was bad in anyway.
Just thought that "Masterpiece" and "the best thing I have ever seen" was abit over the top.

To me, it is on par with the others. Saying that the voice performance sells the piece, was a stupid statement! I agree.

However i think, the the realism in the voice performance is what makes it so convincing(along side with the nice animation) It always seams to impact people when there is a good realistic VP behind the animation, which is why using interviews as VP for a short, works a treat!(as i have always recommended for my students) And as a package, the first animation is the most entertaining of them all.

And no, I don't need to watch it again. I know what to look for, and I wouldn't state this if I hadn't already studied the picture. actually i think the facial expressions are a bit dull and they are quite repetitive.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Baq
Veteran
portfolio
Ralph Michael
FX Artist
XXX, XXX

very good animations, congratulation to everyone involved; BUT I wonder how all you people from Ianimate wanna get a job? I mean - currently market has really so big demand for character animators ??? Enlighten me

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
og_reborn
full uh beans

Adam Singer
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baq
very good animations, congratulation to everyone involved; BUT I wonder how all you people from Ianimate wanna get a job? I mean - currently market has really so big demand for character animators ??? Enlighten me

Dreamworks is not currently looking for a huge group of new animators. That does not mean there is no market.

EDIT:
and btw, I saw the showcase the other day and that opening shot hooked me as well. Amazing.
imo the handheld camera (that actually feels real and doesn't distract from the shot) and the overall dynamics and variety of the shot make it really stand out.
Just the planning for this might have taken ages. They go from being in two different rooms, to face-to-face conflict, back to two different rooms (that are different than the previous two) all in one seamless flow. Two characters, multiple rooms, several emotional changes. The characters naturally transition from independent activities to direct confrontation and back again. Then on top of all THAT, the animation is great and sincere, not cliche. There's actual acting

Last edited by og_reborn : 02-20-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread