Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Adobe slashes prices next day after pressure from Australian government

Quote:
US software giant Adobe has bowed to public pressure and slashed the price of some of its products for Australian customers a day after being ordered to front a parliamentary committee hearing in Canberra.

The move will be seen as a partial victory for consumer advocates and the politicians behind the Federal IT Pricing inquiry, which has been investigating allegations that US technology companies price gouge Australian customers.

Link:http://afr.com/p/technology/adobe_c...XRGNIr S1M2fNN

This is coming one day after Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft was subpoenaed by Aussie govt to explain why their prices are so high.

Link: http://delimiter.com.au/2013/02/11/...icrosoft-adobe/

Should Autodesk be next? Should this successful (at least with Adobe) move happen in other countries?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
leo25
Frequenter

portfolio
Leo Cocca
3D artist
Australia

Thumbs up

Nothing looks to have changed.

As stands now Photoshop on the US site is about $680AUS, but on the AUS site its about $1060AUS.
and
Microsoft Office Pro on the US site is about $385AUS, but on the AUS site its about $600AUS.

just more BS if you ask me. Australia will keep on getting F@%ed every way possible. As if Adobe or Microsoft give a crap what our pathetic government think.

Free market, no such thing...

Last edited by leo25 : 02-13-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

It looks like it is only prices for cloud subscription services that have been reduced.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

It will be interesting to hear the software companies' rationale, given the AUS and US$ are basically on a par and have been for some time. If, indeed, they do have a rationale over and above "We Can."

Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
axiomatic
in process

portfolio
wil
happy
Beijing, China

$50/year subscription VPN saved me $50 on my first purchase on Steam by allowing me to buy using USA prices.

I hope the inquiry stirs up a lot more dirt.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo25
Nothing looks to have changed.

As stands now Photoshop on the US site is about $680AUS, but on the AUS site its about $1060AUS.
and
Microsoft Office Pro on the US site is about $385AUS, but on the AUS site its about $600AUS.

just more BS if you ask me. Australia will keep on getting F@%ed every way possible. As if Adobe or Microsoft give a crap what our pathetic government think.

Read the article.
Cloud services are the ones that will be promptly aligned, restock of hardboxed products second once current shelves empty, and then eventually digital sales.

Hard copies and digital sales are a harder and longer deal to adjust as, unlike the cloud services, they involve other parties than Adobe's own network.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Ordibble-Plop
High fiddlety
portfolio
DH
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Read the article.
Cloud services are the ones that will be promptly aligned, restock of hardboxed products second once current shelves empty, and then eventually digital sales.

I can't see any mention in the article about anything other than cloud subscriptions. Am I missing something somewhere about boxed copies?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
CaptainObvious
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Simon Lundberg
London, United Kingdom

Quote:

That just doesn't make sense. A free market means that companies are allowed to sell you their products at whatever price they want. Adobe charging twice as much in Australia as in the US is only possible because there is a (reasonably) free market.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
That just doesn't make sense. A free market means that companies are allowed to sell you their products at whatever price they want. Adobe charging twice as much in Australia as in the US is only possible because there is a (reasonably) free market.

If the market was truly free then Aussies could also buy directly from the USA but Adobe artificially blocks that...

Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordibble-Plop
I can't see any mention in the article about anything other than cloud subscriptions. Am I missing something somewhere about boxed copies?

From the article (bold by me):
Quote:
In a statement seen by The Australian Financial Review, Adobe has pledged to cut the price of its Creative Cloud suite so that local users pay the same price as US consumers. The company is known for its Photoshop image editing suite and other software. Where individual customers previously paid $62.99 per month for an annual subscription to the online version of its full software package, they will now pay $49.99 per month. Access to individual software has also been cut to $19.99 per month.

The shelves part is hearsay, even if from someone usually well clued, and I should have mentioned that, my bad. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 02-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabab
If the market was truly free then Aussies could also buy directly from the USA but Adobe artificially blocks that...

A free-market, economically speaking, is a market where governments don't interfere, or the portion of a regulated market after government intervention (IE: market after removing GST if that's the only overhead).
It's market solely driven by supply and demand as agreed between seller and buyer, with no intervention from governments past preventing things such as exortion and theft.

Adobe prevents cross continent sales, not the Australian, nor the American government.

In a way, had this been more than just a hearing, this price equalisation would have been the OPPOSITE of a free market, unless you are willing to consider jacked up prices "because we can" exortion

People make the mistake of thinking a free market for something fair, or even worse fair to the buyer, it's not.
De-Facto Monopolised offer inside ultracapitalism is almost as FM as it gets

Look up Laissez Faire macroeconomy if you're curious. Well, unless you're a fan of Smith, in which case you could want to argue that Laissez Faire coalesces into monopolies, and therfore becomes unfree, but that's somewhat philosophized and politicized. FM was originally, and is still fundamentally, a market without intervention from parties other than buyer and seller.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 02-13-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
leo25
Frequenter

portfolio
Leo Cocca
3D artist
Australia

Yes a free market allows you to charge what ever price you like, but i question if it gives you the right to put up region restrictions and dictate where you use the software after purchasing it.

Furthermore, if i fly to the US and buy a copy of say Maya and then return to Australia, how is it legal for them to dictate what country I'm allowed to use that software in?

Also it's funny how all these rules seem to only favour America. If say Iran decided that if you live in America you have to pay 100% more for their oil then the rest of the world, I'm sure this would be seen as illegal and within rights to go to war.

I know the region price restriction is a grey area and we can go back and forth a few times. I say free market/trade should allow a product to be sold without region restrictions. Then you can say; but if it's free then the company should be able to restrict where it's sold. Then i could say; but then people should be free to buy it within America and then resell it elsewhere.

So i guess at the end of the day i think we can all agree price discrimination in this area is in poor taste.

Last edited by leo25 : 02-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
leo25
Frequenter

portfolio
Leo Cocca
3D artist
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Adobe prevents cross continent sales, not the Australian, nor the American government.

Correction, Adobe request that their product don't get sold in Australia at a set price, but the government/law enforces it.

Just as the government/law is the back stop of their EULA.

Last edited by leo25 : 02-13-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Yes a free market allows you to charge what ever price you like, but i question if it gives you the right to put up region restrictions and dictate where you use the software after purchasing it.

Furthermore, if i fly to the US and buy a copy of say Maya and then return to Australia, how is it legal for them to dictate what country I'm allowed to use that software in?.........

It seems that "free market" means free for manufacturers to charge whatever they like so they can make more money. Free market probably didn't come about with the customer in mind.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Bullit
Lord of the posts

"It seems that "free market" means free for manufacturers to charge whatever they like so they can make more money. Free market probably didn't come about with the customer in mind."

!? Yes it did. And that is the way to do so. High prices mean that new manufacturers appear.
Btw , Does the costumer has the manufacturers good being in mind? No.
Costumer want the less price possible fro a good service. That is why many firms fail. The selling price don't pay the costs.

Free market just means everyone can sell products, services to eventual costumers.
Price is defined by the level of competition.
While in Mercantilism-Fascism there would be a Monopoly/Cartel by Government regulation.

If there are no effective competitor to Adobe - and if the prices are considered high - then the question should be: why?

I would say that with current patent laws, increasing regulations and laws everywhere it is much more difficult to start a firm in a garage like in the past. It requires much more connections and financial muscle. Education is also mostly against entrepreneurship, likewise the current egalitarian ideology. Building a firm is for start making several things different than everyone else. Different means not Equal. Innovation and Redundancy came from Difference not from being Equal.

That is the question. Why there are no competitors to Adobe?

I think the difference of price between US and Australia is the difference of fear that Adobe have that a competitor appears in US vs Australia.

Thread Closed share thread