Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
i added modo 601 last year as an alternative...i also have lw10 currently toom i've not upgraded that to 11.5 as i'll see what happens with 3dsmax 2014 and also see what this new auto-rigger for modo will be like once it starts to ship, i have no intention of wholesale dumping 3dsmax, i'll use it for modelling even if i stick with an older version....but there are alternatives out there and i simply LOVE the previewers in both lightwave and modo...they're a HUGE indespensable production asset tool i won't give up.

i see my future with 3dsmax ONLY if they get with the program and deliver tools as good as the cheaper alternatives, i like working in 3dsmax but i'll jump if i have too...it's really not on if they don't pull their socks up.

i have 3 good alternatives, 2 of which i already use to some degree

modo
lightwave
blender

if i had to write an end of term report for 3d software

3dsmax - has become lazy, but has performed well in the past, needs to re capture it's mojo and go on a diet.
modo - very promisiing, not top performer yet but one to keep an eye on
lightwave - has been struggling the last few years but has really knuckled down in the last 2 years and i see a good future for it if it continues to learn/grow.
blender it's very cool exchange student, really bright but just needs to learn our language better to integrate in class more.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 02-09-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer

I'm pretty sure that right now I would be much better off using something like Modo - but it's so hard to predict the future and changing could prove very costly.

I definitely think this is a huge thing for a lot of individuals(not to mention studios) When one has been using a particular software for 10 odd years it can seem like a huge gamble jumping ship, leaving the cosy familiarity of your UI/toolset and investing time, money and self-learning into another piece of software. And although the learning curve wouldn't be too steep the second time round it's the initial clumsy 'but Max does this or that way better' adaption of a somewhat alien interface. I've never used Maya but have been soooo close many times over the years to learn it but never took the plunge.
I have used Modo for one project I did and found it to be extremely robust all-round with just a few workflow niggles regarding Modo's pivot point system. and obviously(at the time of use there was no animation capabilities at all- which looks quite promising now) I really love using Max, warts and all, but it can seem so outdated sometimes when second-gen 3D software like Modo keeps upping the ante. Whilst Modo devs push forward and hang on the end-user feedback, Max devs implement frustrating workflow-impediments like caddies....but I won't go into all that here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerhammer
Maybe the best option would be for Blender to be crowd funded on subscription and managed for the sake of improving rather than profit - but I believe this idealism wouldn't last. At some point down the line someone would decide to sell out or funding will gradually fill the pockets of the few and development will come to a trickle.

I think this would be a bad idea as we all know what can happen when a beautiful paradigm becomes tarnished when the money's on the table!!

And I'm sure Blender will become more and more appealing to Adesk hostages if the pricing plan craziness wields that blade any closer to loyal, long-term customers' throats...

Last edited by musashidan : 02-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
dellis
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dwayne Ellis
Ellis Digital Solutions Inc.
Tecumseh, Canada

Send a message via MSN to dellis
I had an eye on Blender over the years...taking a keen interest for the last 3. It has grown up a lot. I've been devoting time to learning it so that i have another tool to lean on. Hell...in some respects it can do things that MAX can't.

I really love MAX....i just wish they would make it easier to...maintain the relationship!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread