Autodesk: Another subscription price hike coming ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Autodesk: Another subscription price hike coming ?

Just learned about this page:

http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/serv...ktvar002=533705

Not very informative, except that there is a increase in subscription prices coming
I thought Autodesk might become more careful now with such things after they learned that their last couple of quarters were not that rosy on their numbers ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

02 February 2013
(quote from link)

The cost of renewing an existing seat on Subscription will increase marginally to align with last year’s new seat Subscription price changes*.

*) All statements on prices, pricing, price change, price increase, cost of Subscription and similar statements refer to Autodesk’s suggested retail prices only. Your final purchase price and Subscription costs will depend on the resale price which is freely determined by your Autodesk reseller.

Typical bullshit business speak. They say a marginal increase yet the caveat being that the increase is at the reseller's behest. Just like the European Central Bank bumping the mortgage interest rates and the National banks marking up whatever they feel like with no cap.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by musashidan: (quote from link)

The cost of renewing an existing seat on Subscription will increase marginally to align with last year’s new seat Subscription price changes*.

*) All statements on prices, pricing, price change, price increase, cost of Subscription and similar statements refer to Autodesk’s suggested retail prices only. Your final purchase price and Subscription costs will depend on the resale price which is freely determined by your Autodesk reseller.

Typical bullshit business speak. They say a marginal increase yet the caveat being that the increase is at the reseller's behest. Just like the European Central Bank bumping the mortgage interest rates and the National banks marking up whatever they feel like with no cap.

What's your problem? All the resellers I've ever dealt with have sold at SRP or less.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mattwood: What's your problem? All the resellers I've ever dealt with have sold at SRP or less.

My problem is not with the resellers but rather AD. My problem is also with the fact that AD have made an absolute arse of restructuring their sale of products. I won't go into it here as there are already about a dozen threads dating back over the last year or so.

02 February 2013
Quote: Just like the European Central Bank bumping the mortgage interest rates and the National banks marking up whatever they feel like with no cap.

That requires a teaching lesson about credit bubbles...seems people never learn.

02 February 2013
I hope this helps a bit:

Quote:
"hat are the planned Autodesk Upgrade pricing changes?
Autodesk will simplify its upgrade pricing model as of February 1, 2013. Autodesk currently offers multiple upgrade prices based on which previous release of a product is being upgraded. These upgrade prices will be consolidated into a single "Upgrade from Previous Releases" option, which will be available to customers using products that are one to six releases immediately prior to the current release.

For example, if the current product release is 2013, the simplified Upgrade option will be available to customers with product releases from 2007 to 2012; and at the 2014 product release, the simplified Upgrade option will be available to customers with product releases from 2008 to 2013, following accepted upgrade paths.

The "Upgrade from Previous Releases" option will have an Autodesk SRP of approximately seventy percent (70%) of the current new License Autodesk SRP*, regardless of which of the six previous releases is being upgraded. Autodesk product releases more than six releases prior to the current release will no longer be eligible for upgrade.

Autodesk® Subscription will continue to be available for any upgrade to current release purchase as it is today. Which previous releases are most impacted by this change?
As illustrated by the example below:
  • Customers wishing to upgrade to a 2013 release of a product from releases 2012, 2011 and 2010 will be materially impacted by this change as of February 1, 2013, and could therefore benefit from current prices by upgrading now
  • Customers wishing to upgrade to a 2013 release of a product from releases 2006 or earlier will also be materially impacted by this change as of February 1, 2013, and could therefore benefit from current prices by upgrading now
  • Customers wishing to upgrade to a 2013 release of a product from releases 2009, 2008 or 2007 will experience minimal impact due to this change"
For more and a detailed table on the changes go here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=20673509

"
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
It almost seems like a confession that they only present reasonable value in an upgrade once every few years.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Bullit: That requires a teaching lesson about credit bubbles...seems people never learn.

what people are you referring to here??

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by bobakabob: "Materially impacted"... Ouch.

Reading vague and ambiguous posts never grows tiresome...

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I hope this helps a bit:

"

Don't think so ... your quoted post talks about UPGRADE costs
the page i linked to is about SUBSCRIPTION costs

two distinct beasts ....

It's still possible that it's about the subscription costs going up, which was announced back already in summer 2012 when the upgrade cost hike was announced too
But i'm not clear about that ...

Last edited by spacefrog : 02 February 2013 at 07:04 AM.

02 February 2013
I was actually in an email exchange today with my re-seller about this.

(The following is by understanding and may be full of crap)

This PRICE HIKE is intended to get more people / studios current AND on subscription. How meny of you are still on Maya 2008? (That number is probably a high percentage) This is aimed at YOU. So its kind of a "Hurry give us money so your not sorry later" But If you look at it from the Autodesk / Apple side they think "The more people that are CURRENT version users, the less people are going to COMPLAIN when we make a major change and must say SORRY WE DONT SUPPORT YOUR VERSION ANY MORE." I used to pay around $1200 a year for Maya in the Alise days, so Autodesk HAS saved me money by dropping the subscriptions down. So if I still get a new version and one extension / service pack a year, I think thats a fair deal.

Just dont ask me about ROI from Maya and my other 3d Apps...I become upset thinking about that. Maya is NOT on the winning side.

02 February 2013
If you listen to their last quarterly earnings call this price hike is aimed to do specifically as you state force people into getting onto subscription to help artificially boost their stock price after the beating they have been taking.. Same reason they fired so many staff they are desperately trying to shore up their short term finical performance.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Kabab: If you listen to their last quarterly earnings call this price hike is aimed to do specifically as you state force people into getting onto subscription to help artificially boost their stock price after the beating they have been taking.. Same reason they fired so many staff they are desperately trying to shore up their short term finical performance.

their stock performance has pretty much recovered after the dunk last year
it's currently higher than it ever was back until May 2012
http://www.finanzen.at/chart/Autodesk

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by spacefrog: their stock performance has pretty much recovered after the dunk last year
it's currently higher than it ever was back until May 2012
http://www.finanzen.at/chart/Autodesk

Yeah that would be a reaction to the downsizing and price hikes...

Thread Closed share thread