Rhythm & Hues- Master Thread:(At Least Four Buyers Reportedly Interested)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: People will need to find smaller shops and in less glamorous industry to continue to make a living.


Personally I've never really understood the notion that working in VFX is glamorous, because it isn't. But what I've always loved about it and why it's always been my career is because the work is almost always consistently challenging (it's very rarely boring), with a high degree of satisfaction at the end.

I know people always say look into medical illustration, etc but you know what? No. I don't want to do that because I'm not even remotely interested in it. It doesn't inspire me, and I know that I wouldn't feel satisfied working in it. If other people enjoy it - good for them. But it's not for everyone. I like beavering away on something and then seeing it in an awesome shot. That's why I like VFX. If I'm going to spend eight hours a day doing something, then I want to be working on something I personally enjoy.

And that's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle here. Because I want to keep doing the job I've been doing for the last 12 years - I do it because I love it. It isn't glamorous but it's sure as hell fun and sure as hell satisfying creatively.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: This stupid SELFISHNESS we share, this lack of a sence of community, is killing ALL OF US


I don't know what you're on about.

Here in Soho in London, there's a great sense of community. Everyone knows everyone else, and we largely look out for each other. And when there are mass layoffs, as we've seen over the last few weeks, then people pull even closer together.

The problem is not with the artists.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
Red face London artists are lucky. I'm not sure we have that here in Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by leigh: I don't know what you're on about.

Here in Soho in London, there's a great sense of community. Everyone knows everyone else, and we largely look out for each other. And when there are mass layoffs, as we've seen over the last few weeks, then people pull even closer together.

The problem is not with the artists.


London artists are lucky. Here in Los Angeles the VFX artists pull together for beer, parties, gaming sessions, cookouts and baby showers. Sometimes we split rent and share living costs. When three artists I know lost everything in a forest fire, we set up a PayPal account to help.

However, we have not formally formed our own union or joined the Local 839. Los Angeles VFX artists maintain deep friendships, but we don't have each other's backs.
__________________
Python is my smashing board.
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Celshader: London artists are lucky. Here in Los Angeles the VFX artists pull together for beer, parties, gaming sessions, cookouts and baby showers. Sometimes we split rent and share living costs. When three artists I know lost everything in a forest fire, we set up a PayPal account to help.

However, we have not formally formed our own union or joined the Local 839. Los Angeles VFX artists maintain deep friendships, but we don't have each other's backs.


We don't have unions here either, but when there are mass layoffs, then everyone lets everyone else know where the jobs are. Loads of my friends and I are out of work right now, but there's a daily stream of Facebook messages and text messages being sent around with the latest info about who is hiring and how to get in touch with the right people. I think it might have to do with the fact that in London, probably half the workforce, if not more, are not British, and the whole "everyone is from somewhere else" phenomenon has somehow facilitated a commaraderie.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Your endless, and frankly clueless software evangelism is really getting a bit tiresome.

And you're wrong. The tools have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the problems the VFX industry is currently facing. Stop imagining that Maya is inefficient just so you can push your opensource/Blender agenda here - it's becoming ridiculous.


Don't count out Blender, GIMP, and Linux. The Blender foundation has made some great animations with those tools. I'm a complete outsider here, but I would gander that the decreasing price of hardware and software does have something to do with the wage and price decreases.

On the original topic, its really sad to hear about RnH. I got to do the tour in El Segundo a few years ago, and it looked like a great place to work. I loved how they let people take their dogs to work!

-AJ
__________________
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Don't count out Blender, GIMP, and Linux. The Blender foundation has made some great animations with those tools. I'm a complete outsider here, but I would gander that the decreasing price of hardware and software does have something to do with the wage and price decreases.


"Software efficiency" has absolutely nothing to do with R+H's problems. DePaint tries this tactic constantly and it's getting irritating.

I'm tired of people who've never worked a single day in VFX coming along and dictating their solutions as facts. It's almost infuriating.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
Perhaps we need to make the public aware of what we are doing. There is very little understanding of our business amongst non fx people.

I'm secretly hoping that if RH goes belly up and still wins an Oscar for their fx work the current issues will get a little more exposure.
__________________
Homo Effectus
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: "Software efficiency" has absolutely nothing to do with R+H's problems. DePaint tries this tactic constantly and it's getting irritating.

I'm tired of people who've never worked a single day in VFX coming along and dictating their solutions as facts. It's almost infuriating.


Well I agree that DePaint can come off as a bit crass, I don't think he was making a direct link to software efficiency and RH financial woes. I'm pretty sure English is not his first language, so maybe give him a break.

Once again, I'm not defending the guy, I'm just saying don't be so hard on the poor guy...

I know RH has proprietary software, and they've won several Oscars for technical achievement. Once again, I'm a complete outsider here, but I bet they tout their technical advantage over their competitors during a bid process. I'm sure all the fancy software that they've developed over the past 25 years is a very valuable part of their business.

-AJ
__________________

Last edited by AJ1 : 02 February 2013 at 03:33 AM.
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I don't know what you're on about.

Here in Soho in London, there's a great sense of community. Everyone knows everyone else, and we largely look out for each other. And when there are mass layoffs, as we've seen over the last few weeks, then people pull even closer together.

The problem is not with the artists.



Leigh to be fair, I am thinking in more broader terms ( as in studios) . I belong to multiple art organizations, and I have meet some incredible artists. Hell some ofthe most talented people I know in the DC are are some the most talented people I have seen.
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Well I agree that DePaint can come off as a bit crass, I don't think he was making a direct link to software efficiency and RH financial woes. I'm pretty sure English is not his first language, so maybe give him a break.


There's absolutely nothing wrong with his English. In fact, he speaks just as well as many native English speakers. DePaint has a history of pushing Blender as a competitor to Maya, and it's extremely irritating to have someone who has clearly never ever worked in VFX constantly posing as an expert on the topic. I'm being hard on him because I'm tired of it.

If he didn't want to make a link between the two, he shouldn't have posted a big allcaps statement about software efficiency, following it up with a claim that his point was "the truth".
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: "Software efficiency" has absolutely nothing to do with R+H's problems. .


Agreed. To be honest. for the life of me I have no idea how this mess can be fixed.
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Agreed. To be honest. for the life of me I have no idea how this mess can be fixed.


Well there's pretty much nothing that we as artists can do, because we don't control the financial side of the industry.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  02 February 2013
The crazy thing about financials is that movies are costing more and more to make and they have inflated in price over the years.

But what I don't get is this.
1. Software and hardward costs less.
2. More competition globally.
3. Great FX companies going out of business.
4. INflation hasn't been at the same level as movie cost inflation.

The math doesn't add up.

So why? I think someone is stuffing their pockets and it ain't going to the FX companies.
I thnk it is some of that good old fashioned Hollywood Accounting.

You know how they have a movie make a billion dollars and still show that they owe money so they don't have to pay the people they said they would profit share with.

All I'm saying it something is a miss here and ain't adding up.
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: On the original topic, its really sad to hear about RnH. I got to do the tour in El Segundo a few years ago, and it looked like a great place to work. I loved how they let people take their dogs to work!

-AJ
Indeed. Out of all the tours that I have gone on through my school, RnH was definitely at the top. Randomly seeing dogs as we walked through the halls was rather odd at first.
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: The crazy thing about financials is that movies are costing more and more to make and they have inflated in price over the years.

But what I don't get is this.
1. Software and hardward costs less.
2. More competition globally.
3. Great FX companies going out of business.
4. INflation hasn't been at the same level as movie cost inflation.

The math doesn't add up.

So why? I think someone is stuffing their pockets and it ain't going to the FX companies.
I thnk it is some of that good old fashioned Hollywood Accounting.

You know how they have a movie make a billion dollars and still show that they owe money so they don't have to pay the people they said they would profit share with.

All I'm saying it something is a miss here and ain't adding up.


Most of the big 6 movie studios have been enjoying record profits year after year. There really is no mystery to it. So why are the major studios running the industry that is integral to their cash cow (aka. VFX blockbusters) out of business?

You can thank Wall St, the City and the entire financial industry for pressuring the publicly traded studios to show increasing profits and shareholder returns year after year or suffer the dreaded downgrade. This is an issue with all sectors of our economy, not just the movie biz, and it's a global issue. All publicly traded companies are under this pressure from the financial industry.

I don't want to get too off topic here but I just wanted to point out just how powerful these forces are and help explain why studios seem intent on killing the very thing that is making them rich. They're not doing this on purpose, they have quarterly earning estimates to exceed (it's not good enough to merely meet them any more), and no one is thinking longer term than that.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.