Lightwave 11.5 Released! (With Video)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #31
Originally Posted by derOesi: i don't want to spoil the party, but softimage|3D 3.51 (1996?) already had this feature.. it was called shrinkwrap (it still is) and was pretty much (exactly?) the same as it is now in Softimage...

Well let's face it, Lightwave is playing catch-up in most ways. For those who ONLY use LW, this is a NEW feature. For me, as much as I like Softimage, I can't stand AD and their subscriptions and how they treat their customers. Not that I'm a fan of NT any longer, at least their upgrade policy is FAR better than AD. The only thing I need form AD (right now) is MotionBuilder, and I don't need to continually upgrade that app - fortunately.

Hopefully modo 701 will have better character animation capabilities as well as particles and easy mocap input. Go Lux!

Old 02 February 2013   #32
Catchup happens with every program. Modo and its volumetric lights is a good example. I had the same power back in Truespace 4.

Old 02 February 2013   #33
a good release.

the flocking and instancing stuff is great.
genoma is cool for fast rigs.
but also the new modeling tools are really nice.

(though yes, some features are missing, mainly CA related)

Old 02 February 2013   #34
I keep throwing my money at the screen, but nothing is happening. Fantastic release. I am overly impressed by the added futures.

Old 02 February 2013   #35
That is a solid update!

is there a training equivalent to digital tutors or gnomon for Lightwave users? The tutorials are nice, but I like the big, project based training.

Old 02 February 2013   #36
unfortunately, project based tutorials are a bit lacking.

check out these though, see if you find something here...
http://tinyurl.com/7832bja

_

Old 02 February 2013   #37
I'm very happy they've gone Dongle-free. That definitely makes my free-lance life a lot easier!

Old 02 February 2013   #38
The tutorials from Rebel Hill are simply top notch and go very in depth into advanced nodes and rigging.

The basics are pretty easy to find (lynda is ok). It's the intermediate stuff that's a little harder to come by. Liberty3d has some good stuff there.

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Originally Posted by astu11: All I know is that Maya doesn't have the heat shrink wrap whatever tool, which is all I meant. Don't know why people are getting hung up on this haha.

Not sure what version of Maya you use, but since Maya 2012 there's the membrane node that just does that.

Old 02 February 2013   #40
My 2 cents:

*Fixing the crappy key frame smoothness at the node is not a new feature.

*Soft body dynamic collisions are probably much better with bullet. Thank you NT.
But can you please add non linear springs? That's an easy update that will eliminate the problem of everything looking like rubber. Also, come up with semi automatic tools to add "thick low res simulation meshes" for soft bodies so everything doesn't appear to be paper thin...i.e. you can't simulate thick soft objects with "hollow meshes".

*Some of the new tools look quite nice, but Lightwave is now an also ran in my mind and needs a big kick to grow it's user base. Maybe throw in 3D coat lite or something to make LW more relevant?

Being negative I know, just not happy with product development speed compared to other products.

Old 02 February 2013   #41
Great release!
I have to say with the release of LW 11 they are right on track to a bright future!

Would love to see Lightwave fix the modeler/layout sync. or merge the two or something...
For example you can not sync modeler and layout if you have multiple layouts and modelers opened...

Old 02 February 2013   #42
More videos:

LightWave 11.5 - Using Motion Capture File With Genoma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpYOZdSJCMg

LightWave 11.5 - Soft Body / Cloth Dynamics (Bullet Dynamics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJzZ00La6Q
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #43
Originally Posted by Mike Pauza: But can you please add non linear springs? That's an easy update that will eliminate the problem of everything looking like rubber. Also, come up with semi automatic tools to add "thick low res simulation meshes" for soft bodies so everything doesn't appear to be paper thin...i.e. you can't simulate thick soft objects with "hollow meshes".

Sorry, but what system do you know of that uses non linear springs?
Beside the two facts that A) deflection is enormously expensive to compute in a large set of connected nodes B) a good spring is as close to linear as possible, a rubbery look doesn't come from the spring model, but usually from the constraints within the network.

It's also hard to impossible to simulate thickness cheaply in classic SBDS, since you would need a very carefully placed topology for the hull, and an additional set of springs connecting the two sides that would transmit force instead of constrain the network.
Again, what system have you seen that elegantly does that with arbitrary topology? I know/have seen a few that can do something with a tetra pass, and some CAE models, but in DCC?

I think you are blaming the model (spring networks) when it's actually perfectly fine, when instead you should look at whether you have or not all the options to configure it properly (angular and length constraints, proper dampening control and so on).

Old 02 February 2013   #44
And, here's some more Lightwave 11.5 videos:

11.5 LightWave Modeler tools - quick demo and tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPIwySOil2s

LightWave 11.5 Genoma: How to use a Rig Preset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlfhOh1Ltk

LightWave 11.5 After Effects Interchange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B...4KRvS2p&index=3

Old 02 February 2013   #45
cool downloading now. i remember when i was stuck years behind in versions.

Thread Closed share thread