Weta digitals tissue system

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Weta digitals tissue system

Haven't seen this posted yet, and it's worth a watch

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fx...-tissue-system/

02 February 2013
Thanks for the information, I enjoyed "An unexpected Journey" a lot!

02 February 2013
I say this last night. I was wondering how weta could get so much high quality stuff out at the same time. While they were working on hobbit they were still working on other shows! Hobbit had some much cg in it. Goes to show how important rigging is, or deformations. With Tissue on one end and Anzovin Rigging Tools(ART) on the other end, rigging has tools getting to the root of the problem finally. Well finally for me. I'm sure ILM and Pixar etc have there tools. Of course Tissue isn't for sale like ART. Both tissue and ART eliminate painting weights for the most part which too me has be the major bottle neck in character puppets. Weta really studied how these human machines we're wearing function down to the fats and Lymphs.

Avatar was it for cg performance and tissue was a big part of that apparently.

02 February 2013
That digital horse looks gorgeous!

02 February 2013
Great find

As someone that's very interested in physically-based character animation I'm delighted to see that Weta is making it happen. I'm sure other studios will follow suit. A movie director hardly has to tell the actor to deepen the furrow on his brow and neither should the artist. And just like the movie director, the time of the artist is best spent choreographing the action.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by graphicsRat: As someone that's very interested in physically-based character animation I'm delighted to see that Weta is making it happen. I'm sure other studios will follow suit. A movie director hardly has to tell the actor to deepen the furrow on his brow and neither should the artist. And just like the movie director, the time of the artist is best spent choreographing the action.

While I agree with that statement 100% there isn't really anything new to that.

I mean, no matter if you set up the face with joints, blendshapes or do a fully simulated, physical approach, the goal is always that the animator raise the brow controler and everything does what it is supposed to.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by doffer: While I agree with that statement 100% there isn't really anything new to that.
I mean, no matter if you set up the face with joints, blendshapes or do a fully simulated, physical approach, the goal is always that the animator raise the brow controler and everything does what it is supposed to.

I meant to say that the rigging process is, IMHO, much too hands on than it needs to be e.g. painting a crease here and a wrinkle there -- time perhaps better spent imbuing a character with the ability to perform those secondary, as well as primary, actions. Of course physically-based character animation systems do not make the rigger obsolete, but instead redefines the requisite skill-set. (Someone's got to bind the tissue system to each character.)

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by graphicsRat: I meant to say that the rigging process is, IMHO, much too hands on than it needs to be e.g. painting a crease here and a wrinkle there -- time perhaps better spent imbuing a character with the ability to perform those secondary, as well as primary, actions. Of course physically-based character animation systems do not make the rigger obsolete, but instead redefines the requisite skill-set. (Someone's got to bind the tissue system to each character.)

Ahh okay. My bad. Tend to see everything from the eye of an animator

I see your point and agree with it

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread