anxo
portfolio
USA

Smile New Maxscript Tutorial for "None Programmers"

If you do not want to read but DO click here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogWEdS_Qlg4

If you want a little more info about why I made this tutorial:

Hey Guys,

I always knew that maxscript was useful and that I could save a lot of time if I knew how to use it but after giving it a try and looking at the help files I was a little overwhelmed and lost.

If you do not already know some form of programming language, the maxscript documentation is not really made for you and it very hard to grasp what is going on when they just jump into terms likfe "for loop" and "functions" in the documentation.

I thought it was too hard and gave up for a few years but then I started getting into Unity and started to learn how to program with it. When I gave maxscript another try, I realized that maxscript is actually really easy and layback, it was my lack of understanding in the basic principles of programming and a not very beginner friendly maxscript documentation that was the problem.

Now I really enjoy making my life easier by writing tools for repetitive tasks and now I made a tutorial that assumes that you know NOTHING about programming.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogWEdS_Qlg4

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
maxgamer
Frequenter
Paul Goad
Technical Art Director
Next Level Games
Canada

Send a message via MSN to maxgamer
Thx

I downloaded it. Thank you. there are not enough compelling videos teaching non-programmers maxscript.

btw, I feel like I am being taught Maxscript from Christopher Walken.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
anxo
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgamer
I downloaded it. Thank you. there are not enough compelling videos teaching non-programmers maxscript.

btw, I feel like I am being taught Maxscript from Christopher Walken.

lol, I get that a lot. But only from people who can not see me. Thanks for your support, you can check out my youtube channel for some more tutorials. KevinHarper3Dartist.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
steveblake
Frequenter

portfolio
steven blake
Animatorizer
United Kingdom

Thanks for posting - I'm a complete programming n00b so appreciate this type of tutorial.

Interesting that you went via Unity (which I'm looking at myself) Did you try any of the node based visual programming plugins / tools in Unity? (Playmaker or Uscript specifically). I like the idea of plugging in nodes, exposing values and converting the results to a script and have been playing with Blockly just as a way to setup structures & convert to javascript etc as a way to understand syntax.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
steveblake
Frequenter

portfolio
steven blake
Animatorizer
United Kingdom

++ deleted ++

duplicate post

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
anxo
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveblake
Thanks for posting - I'm a complete programming n00b so appreciate this type of tutorial.

Interesting that you went via Unity (which I'm looking at myself) Did you try any of the node based visual programming plugins / tools in Unity? (Playmaker or Uscript specifically). I like the idea of plugging in nodes, exposing values and converting the results to a script and have been playing with Blockly just as a way to setup structures & convert to javascript etc as a way to understand syntax.

I did look a little into it at first but I knew I wanted to be able to read and alter other peoples plugins at some point. For instance, I use NGUI a lot in Unity and sometimes I want to change elements in the scripts that they provide to suit my needs. Me having to learn coding meant that I would be able to do that. I was afraid that if I go the node based way that I would limit myself but I it might be just as good, I have not tried it. If you do, let me know what you think.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread