Adobe giving away free copies of Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign CS2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #46
Originally Posted by artisanfx: but adobe give your the keys and that makes the difference

I could give you the keys to my apartment, that does not entitle you to steal whats in there, ask your local police.

That's part of the problem, people today think that if someone posts on the internet serial numbers, that ownership & copyright vanish, they don't.

Look I'm all for Adobe giving it away free, see my first post.

But you know, it's up to them.

And as many others have pointed out GIMP does a good job, it's getting better and will continue to do so. So even if Adobe say no, it's not like there aren't great alternatives out there. Really go look, you'll be amazed at what you find.

Old 01 January 2013   #47
Originally Posted by cojam: I could give you the keys to my apartment, that does not entitle you to steal whats in there, ask your local police.

That's part of the problem, people today think that if someone posts on the internet serial numbers, that ownership & copyright vanish, they don't.

And as many others have pointed out GIMP does a good job, it's getting better and will continue to do so. So even if Adobe say no, it's not like there aren't great alternatives out there. Really go look, you'll be amazed at what you find.

I think it's more complicated than a simple black and white and using analogies or examples. Arguments have been going on since man discovered the Internet. The immediate solution for Adobe is to post a clear, definitive policy regarding the download on their website where the links are. The long term solution is to produce a more solid upgrade CS7 so that CS2 will actually be outdated.

Old 01 January 2013   #48
If this "CS2 Goof" creates 50,000 - 100,000 new, loyal, paying Adobe users, that's a huge leap for this kind of DCC software!

And it would kill demand for Paint.NET, Gimp and many other photo editors on the Windows platform.

Why use those inferior image editors if you can use a full blown Photoshop CS2?

I believe that that is just what may happen here...

Also, there's many, many pirate copies of the CS apps being used across the world.

In a way, what Adobe is doing here is a welcome "Amnesty" for those pirates, no?

Instead of having to feel guilty about having/using pirated software, they can now use Adobe's CS2 products free without having to feel guilt about it.

And if Adobe offers a good upgrade path to CS6/CS7 ? Then the deal gets "sweeter" still...

My 2 Cents...

Old 01 January 2013   #49
Quote: And it would kill demand for Paint.NET, Gimp and many other photo editors on the Windows platform.

Why use those inferior image editors if you can use a full blown Photoshop CS2?

just curious, what features make Photoshop CS2 superior to the GIMP 2.8?

Old 01 January 2013   #50
Originally Posted by Samo: just curious, what features make Photoshop CS2 superior to the GIMP 2.8?

Adjustment layers, macro recording, thousands of community-supplied brushes, plugins, advanced blending and fill features, out of the box camera raw, to name a few.

Old 01 January 2013   #51
Afaik photoshop brushes can be loaded in gimp, the same can be said about macros and scritps, the only significative difference I see is raw support, layers management and advanced blending. Raw support is planned to be added in the next release of GIMP. And you are stuck with a 8 years old software and man that's a lot of time.

Old 01 January 2013   #52
Originally Posted by rock: I think it's more complicated than a simple black and white and using analogies or examples.

No it isn't, you might want it to be, but that's not reality, and the existence of internet does not change the law. Unless you have a registered copy of cs2 premium under you or your companies name, it's a pirate version. (even Adobe have now said that). No company who's audited would ever install this, because they don't have a license for it, neither does anyone else.

Originally Posted by rock: The immediate solution for Adobe is to post a clear, definitive policy regarding the download on their website where the links are.

Now that I do agree with, and to extend it, Adobe have taken far too long over putting out a clear and definitive statement regarding if they are willing to away free licenses for this specific version (ie Premium, not Master) of CS2.

It's time for Adobe to put an end to this debacle once and for all.

Old 01 January 2013   #53
I think Adobe is clear on this when they mentioned that it was it was done because the are retiring the CS2 registration server, and "it look like we are giving away but we are doing it for our users".

In the end of the day, you can say what ever you want, but there is no license agreement or receipt or anything, or any text that says it's free (except from other sources but NOT adobe). Hence, if you get audited, you are in hot soup.

Just because its there, it doesn't mean you can steal it. In Malaysia, there are a lot of public places that you have to take your shoe off. While there are guards, there are time this is not enough (Friday prayer for example) and shoe always get stolen. Just because a shot is at a public place, off someone feet, it doesn't mean people can just take it.

I really wish that it was just like Carrara or DXStudio or any other "download this old app and upgrade for 25% off" or something deal, but it's not.

Talking about Carrara, at least Daz make it clear enough that Daz Studio and Hexagon and some other world generator is free now, except Carrara. And so is World Weaver (There is a version of DxStudio that is free).

But Adobe didn't say any of that, except for what I bold above. So if we are not CS2 users, I think by now it can be said that the software is NOT for us. Not until Adobe says they are following these DAZ or World Weaver footstep and says that is free.

Old 01 January 2013   #54
I don't know how you get stealing out of that, if they put the software on their website freely available to anyone then it's not in any way stealing, it's not like they don't have a way to contact just CS2 users if they wanted to.

Old 01 January 2013   #55
Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't know how you get stealing out of that, if they put the software on their website freely available to anyone then it's not in any way stealing, it's not like they don't have a way to contact just CS2 users if they wanted to.

It hard to say because we are talking about reseller, 2nd hand copy (was it possible?), and many other thing with 7 year old software. Maybe they think that it was not worth the effort, hence this was more cost effective (which is why they kept it up even after all these bru ha ha).

in the end of they day, they DID mention it was for legal CS2 user, therefore if you don't have a license to one (like a legal box with receipt and what not, emails, etc) then its not for you.

On something related, a few minutes ago, i received an email saying that IClone 4 Pro is free with the latest 3D World mag. (Current version is 5). Its good to know that 3D World still kept this tradition. I thought the move to digital download and not cover disk will make it unlike old days. There are more tutorials than before, thank to no disk size limitation, but its been awhile since free old commercial version. Keep it up 3D World mag!

I already have IClone 5 Pro, but I love the gesture.

Old 01 January 2013   #56
Originally Posted by fablefox: It hard to say because we are talking about reseller, 2nd hand copy (was it possible?), and many other thing with 7 year old software. Maybe they think that it was not worth the effort, hence this was more cost effective (which is why they kept it up even after all these bru ha ha).

in the end of they day, they DID mention it was for legal CS2 user, therefore if you don't have a license to one (like a legal box with receipt and what not, emails, etc) then its not for you.

On something related, a few minutes ago, i received an email saying that IClone 4 Pro is free with the latest 3D World mag. (Current version is 5). Its good to know that 3D World still kept this tradition. I thought the move to digital download and not cover disk will make it unlike old days. There are more tutorials than before, thank to no disk size limitation, but its been awhile since free old commercial version. Keep it up 3D World mag!

I already have IClone 5 Pro, but I love the gesture.

!
But what if you lose your receipt and throw the box away, you are now the same as the non-legit users since all serials are now the same.

Old 01 January 2013   #57
Originally Posted by rock: !
But what if you lose your receipt and throw the box away

And that happens to most people. It was only last month that I finally got rid of my old invoices for just about every C4D version going as far back as 2001's v7.0. Then you've got people like my mom. She bought CS3 Design Premium back in mid-2008. Her receipt vanished from the face of the Earth probably a week later. People like me, who keep everything, are a rarity.

You count on companies like Adobe to keep track of your registration and purchase information. At the end of product's life cycle, that can be a tough thing to come to grips with.

With the release of CS3 in 2007, Adobe discontinued the CS2 products. There hasn't been a single update for them, afaik, for at least 5 years. You can't even upgrade from CS2 products anymore, especially since Adobe shortened the upgrade path. The termination of the activation servers is just their latest, and probably final, effort in putting an old product out of its misery. Effectively, by releasing these activation-free installers and serials, Adobe is telling CS2 users, "We no longer care about you. Fly away, little birdie."

With this final gasp of air for CS2, Adobe isn't quite saying, "FREE!!!" No. If anything, people on the Adobe forums are eerily silent on this issue now. They will tell you how to download it, acknowledging full well that anybody can. They will even tell you how to install it, all while claiming it won't work on current OSes. The one question nobody will answer: "Is it free now?" Ask that question and you might as well be trying to get a politician to cough up his tax records. Mum's the word.

The truth of the matter is, claim as they might, Adobe doesn't care. They can't afford to care. They've still got CS6 and Creative Cloud to care for. They've got CS7 on the horizon, probably. They're still keeping CS5 on life support. Going back three full generations further is too much time and effort.

Did Adobe intend on releasing CS2 to the masses? I'm not so sure. Maybe not. Do they care that it's gone viral like it has? It's free publicity. It's free exposure. All for a product which they no longer sell, update, or support. If somehow people forgot the Adobe name before, it's definitely on the tips of everybody's tongues now. Cost to them? Bandwidth. Loss to them? Debatable.

Adobe is in a bind. It's never easy for corporations to admit fault. Nobody wants the blame. Nobody wants the consequences. At the same time, this is not something which can simply be avoided. Think about the numbers for a moment.

Suppose Adobe services 15 countries. I don't know the number, but let's go with 15. Now, let's further suppose that 100 people from each one of those countries downloaded CS2 each hour. It was obviously more than that. Their site got hammered. In a 72 hour period alone, you're looking at 108k downloads worldwide, conservatively. And now that Adobe has removed the requirement of having an AdobeID account, those numbers will continue to rise.

Adobe may not be screaming "free", but they definitely aren't doing anything to keep people from thinking it. It's still online and Adobe is certainly aware that non-registered users are flocking to it in droves. Unintended though it may have been, Adobe might just have scored a huge win here. You can't buy viral marketing like this.

And before anybody thinks that this is just CS2, Adobe has serials up for all of the old Macromedia MX 2004 products. So, if you have the old trials for those, now you're registered. CS2 has managed to hog the spotlight, but here's another suite that has been flying under the radar - assuming you have the trial version installers, which are still pretty easy to find.

What Adobe says in their one and only official statement is a stark contrast to what they're actually doing. It's like, "You cannot eat my free cookies!!! Mind holding the box?"

Last edited by cookepuss : 01 January 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #58
Originally Posted by cojam: I could give you the keys to my apartment, that does not entitle you to steal whats in there, ask your local police.

let say i have a car and i say to you >

hey cojam
do you see my car do you like it ?
here get the key and you can drive it

so is it mean, i steal you car ? NO you gived it to me to use you car so i am free to use it

My WORK

Old 01 January 2013   #59
But Adobe isn't saying that you can just borrow the car for a quick spin. No. That would suggest that they can ask for the keys back. What they're doing reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode about the car with the body odor. In the end, unable to sell it, he just left the car in a bad neighborhood with the keys in it for somebody (anybody) to take. That's kinda what's going on here. Adobe just abandoned their car in a bad neighborhood called "internet" and left the keys in for anybody to drive away with it.

Incidentally, it's funny how Gizmodo is sticking to their guns and still promoting this move as a "free copy of a 10-year-old Adobe Photoshop release". For those still squeamish or on the fence, they do provide you a list of alternatives.

Last edited by cookepuss : 01 January 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #60
A web designer friend has discribed this as a "wink and a nod". Adobe isn't giving you anything, but if you're going to get it anyway, you might as well get it from them.

In my opinion without an actual license there is no legal difference between using this or doing something that's forbidden to talk about here on CGTalk. I suppose they would rather people download this than steal, so there is that benifit, but its more for Adobe than anything. (its a honey pot - encurages people to get hooked on Adobe, but draws them away from damaging sales on new releases)

Originally Posted by darthviper107: I don't know how you get stealing out of that, if they put the software on their website freely available to anyone then it's not in any way stealing, it's not like they don't have a way to contact just CS2 users if they wanted to.

Think of it this way - you wouldn't install this at work.

I think the best thing for Adobe to do is get out of this gray area by modifying the EULA. They can do to this what Unity Technologies does to the free version of their game engine. Say it's legal to use this software provided you or your entity doesn't make more than $x a year. You want the new features or you're a well established company, buy Unity Pro - or in this case, Photoshop CS6.

Last edited by trancerobot : 01 January 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Closed share thread