Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Snooba
Master of the Bunnies

portfolio
Alexis Sabatovich
Sendai, Japan

To me the fact that the page is back, says that they have accepted their screw up. I mean really, if they wanted to fix this, they would have pulled the page in a second.

And even if they pulled this, like another user said, the Pandora Box is open, and now everyone has legit keys for this software.

This thing went viral really fast. I got many Skype messages from co-workers telling me the news, etc, and it showed up in a ton of online news sites. Tens of thousands of people may have downloaded this thing already, if not more.

This is a PERFECT opportunity for Adobe to curb piracy, even if just a bit. Most small users will prefer a slightly outdated but legal Photoshop, to a new and illegal one.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully their PR department is smart about it.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
SoulVector
The Duke of Deliciousness

Mikael Amion
Houdnik
Norrköping, Sweden

Send a message via ICQ to SoulVector
Just something that came to my mind and I don't know if it has been mentioned but one of the positive things about this is that for users using Linux will have access to Photoshop and for those using and developing wine will be able to optimize it for windows application stability.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Adobe is probably hoping that of the hundreds of thousands of people who download CS2, 10 - 20 % decide later on to upgrade those downloads to CS6/CS7 (whatever is the latest at the time).

Lets do some math based on, say, a conservative 50,000 people upgrading to CS6 at 300 Dollars a pop

50,000 x 300 Dollars = 15 Million Dollars

That's not bad considering that what they are "giving away" is 7 year old software nobody would actually buy for cash at this point.

Plus, of course, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of new users train themselves in using Adobe products, and who knows how many of those later become "Premium" or "Paying" Adobe software users?

You wanna know what I think? I think Adobe should have done this years ago. This is great for graphics enthusiasts who don't have much money to throw around, but want to use a solid GFX app nevertheless.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
Snooba
Master of the Bunnies

portfolio
Alexis Sabatovich
Sendai, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Adobe is probably hoping that of the hundreds of thousands of people who download CS2, 10 - 20 % decide later on to upgrade those downloads to CS6/CS7 (whatever is the latest at the time).

Lets do some math based on, say, a conservative 50,000 people upgrading to CS6 at 300 Dollars a pop

50,000 x 300 Dollars = 15 Million Dollars

That's not bad considering that what they are "giving away" is 7 year old software nobody would actually buy for cash at this point.

Plus, of course, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of new users train themselves in using Adobe products, and who knows how many of those later become "Premium" or "Paying" Adobe software users?

You wanna know what I think? I think Adobe should have done this years ago. This is great for graphics enthusiasts who don't have much money to throw around, but want to use a solid GFX app nevertheless.

Agreed 100%. More companies should do this.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #35
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I heard about this last night but didn't pursue it as we have a newer version. However now that I see its still up today, what the heck. My kids will probably like to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooba
Agreed 100%. More companies should do this.

Also agree. Look, I like GIMP as much as the next person, it's solid enough, but if you have the option, of course your going to use Photoshop. Adobe just added a huge number of users to their base. Whether intentional or not, this will do well for them.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #36
Samo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alvaro Luna Bautista
Roses, Spain

I smell fish.

Last edited by Samo : 01-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It's a great idea for people who would have never bought photoshop otherwise and could use a good photo editing software.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
Samo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alvaro Luna Bautista
Roses, Spain

Quote:
I like GIMP as much as the next person, it's solid enough, but if you have the option, of course your going to use Photoshop

I have the option and will not download maybe because with GIMP I have enough in the first place. However, in the free world we don't make up stories like this to get downloads. There is hype and overpromising but there is also the truth of free open source. And we don't have marketing depts. too, I doubt the adobe engineers came up with this "badass" idea. But is is just a small difference, don't worry.

BTW 16-32 bits editing in GIMP is round the corner.

Last edited by Samo : 01-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
roofoo
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Wagner
Graphic Designer
Eyephoria Design
Mills River, USA

Well, Adobe let the cat out of the bag and doesn't seem to be restricting this to only previous licensees. They probably don't see much value in going after unlicensed users for an ancient version of software.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #40
roofoo
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Wagner
Graphic Designer
Eyephoria Design
Mills River, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samo
I have the option and will not download maybe because with GIMP I have enough in the first place. However, in the free world we don't make up stories to get downloaded. There is hype and overpromising but there is also the truth of free open source. And we don't have marketing depts. too, I doubth the engineers came up with this "badass" idea. But is is just a small difference, don't worry.

BTW 16-32 bits editing in GIMP is round the corner.

GIMP has never been an option for me, since it has no CMYK or PMS support.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #41
Creed
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Get it while it is hot:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...ads&pid=4485850

Site is getting hammered right now but all you do is register and you get the download links and serials.

Photoshop CS2 is the last version that supported PowerPC Macs. Since Apple has switch to Intel-based Macs,
it will no longer run on the latest OS. In fact, all of those CS2 products listed won't run either.
That might explain why they're doing this.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #42
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Smart move... must'nt been easy to convince some ppl to do this

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #43
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

Downloaded it on Linux (running via Wine,) will probably use it for finishing textures/ images: Layer blending, adding/ editing text, and other small tasks.

This is all over the Internet, and could do a lot of good for Adobe. It seems as if the managers don't really understand how to appeal to potential customers though.

Instead of firing the poor guy who made this public by mistake, they should fire the PR department managers/ managers who are trying to move people away from downloading it.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #44
artisanfx
dreammotion.com

portfolio
Olcay Birgun
CG Artist
its just Me
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojam
So are the paintings in the Louvre, but that don't mean you can take them home mate.

yes but the paintings Louvre are behind doors and you don't have keys for the doors
but adobe give your the keys and that makes the difference
the software is not important.
If you public the keys that make the difference

My WORK

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Well i downloaded it because allover the net it said adobe offered it for free and there is nothing on that adobe page that suggested else.

Thread Closed share thread