CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

The serial IS the same for everyone. Even if it weren't, it'd be a bit unethical to sell something that would have otherwise been freely available, supposedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Community Admin
Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.

Adobe is playing a little spin game right now. We KNOW that CS2 runs fine on modern OSes. My father is happily using Photoshop CS2 on his Win8 machine. Runs beautifully. The only CS2 app with any real problems on Win 7/8 machines is Premiere. However, Adobe is now suggesting that all of these apps don't run on modern OSes to probably to deter from (more) people downloading something that they accidentally let slip.

Adobe simply won't (apparently) admit fault here or even try to put a positive spin on it. This could've been a major PR gain for Adobe, but it's looking more like an issue of plausible deniability. It's a Jedi mind trick. "This the not the app you're looking for. It won't run on your system. Move along." Anything, IMO, to keep from pushing Photoshop or their other apps into more competitive territory.

ATM, their products are looking more like EA games, mostly cosmetic when it comes to updates. They could be pushing Photoshop into bold, new territory and get it to do what apps like Mari do so well, but they're happier with incremental updates that add one or two big features each release. By being the de facto standard, they've got people where they want them. I mean, really, what are your alternatives? Photoshop has become synonymous with image editing and they know it. That's why they can keep it moving along at a casual pace.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Wish their response to the incident was a little less corporate. This could've been an exciting move for Adobe.

Last edited by cookepuss : 01-08-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
Lars3D
Frequenter
portfolio
Lars Oomen
3D Technical Artist
Calgary, Canada

I saw this go Viral this morning, and was very skeptical of this as I have never seen anything like it. All I know is that Adobe will have a PR clean up, and hopefully give CS2 for free as a response Just about most tech site and such were posting about this in the morning.

This was Adobe's response by the way "On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated...Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!"

Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

There is no UNDO button on life.

Adobe hasn't taken the page down yet. It's still online - serials and all. If Adobe were intent on rectifying the situation, it would've all been yanked 12+ hours ago. Adobe can't scream "piracy" here. They themselves released it. No secured pages. No checking user verification. Not even the slightest blurb about how it was meant for registered users only. Not even attempt to DMCA the sites linking to it. Just "take me".

I can't believe that this is a legitimate error on their part. Something smells wrong about this.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
luceric
Frequenter
No longer user this account
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
Adobe is playing a little spin game right now. We KNOW that CS2 runs fine on modern OSes. My father is happily using Photoshop CS2 on his Win8 machine. Runs beautifully. The only CS2 app with any real problems on Win 7/8 machines is Premiere. However, Adobe is now suggesting that all of these apps don't run on modern OSes to probably to deter from (more) people downloading something that they accidentally let slip.

there are tons of graphical glitches on Vista and up with the apps, the activation doesn't work without work arounds, and some apps like Acrobat Pro do not run. But more importantly, none of the apps work on modern Macs at all, because they are the PowerPC only. it's a tech support guy that posted that comment, not marketing spin.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
there are tons of graphical glitches on Vista and up with the apps,

Vista? I believe that. And up? Not so sure. Photoshop CS2 works just fine on Win8 and Win7. My father bought CS2 years ago. He still has it. It runs great. No glitches or anything. Perfect. He doesn't even have to resort to compatibility mode. My even older copy Photoshop v7 still works great too. OSes haven't evolved that much yet. The suggestion that CS2 so old that it's unusable on modern OSes seems a little silly.

I can understand Win16 apps not working. That standard is long dead. However, CS2 is a Win32 app and stands as good a chance of running as anything else from that era.

Quote:
the activation doesn't work without work arounds,

Activation? Adobe released these versions to specifically combat the disabling of the CS2 activation servers. At least in Photoshop, activation will still appear on the Help menu, but the option has been grayed out. It's an obsolete option for CS2. That's the whole point of the new installers and serials.

Quote:
some apps like Acrobat Pro do not run.

Wow! I totally do not believe that. My mother bought the CS3 Design Suite some years ago. It came with both Acrobat Pro 8 and the v9 upgrade. Her copy of v8 works just fine. It never had any problems on either Win7 or Win8. I should know. I installed and tested it myself. Maybe you've had some bad luck, but it's been nothing but smooth sailing for me.

Quote:
But more importantly, none of the apps work on modern Macs at all, because they are the PowerPC only.

More importantly if you're an Apple follower. Not everybody is.

Quote:
it's a tech support guy that posted that comment, not marketing spin.

I didn't say marketing spin. I just said spin. It's double talk and damage control. Do you honestly expect them to say, "Sorry. We f***ed up."? No. When all is said and done, I'm sure that their intentions were as they claim - attempting to better serve their customers. Their execution sucked. Forum post or not, the stuff is still up for grabs in the same exact manner as it was before the viral explosion. They've all but given up without actually conceding defeat. This is Adobe we're talking about here. It'd already be gone or restricted if they really wanted it to be.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #21
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

The way I see it, whats the downside if they do give it away free?

I dont see any company saying "oh wow, lets instantly downgrade, to save cash."
I dont see anyone who was going to buy it, saying yes, I love the compatibility of 8 year old software.
I dont see anyone saying where's "After effects?"

I do see that it will keep Adobe more of a monopoly, which is what any CEO wants.
I do see that people would (from the way it's been posted everywhere) use old software than pirate. (and this could be a way to stop it)
I do see that if someone / somewhere at Adobe sees this there is a lot of positive traction to be had.
I do see that if anyone upgrades at any future time, it'll be to their software.

In summary I can see a lot of positive for doing this, and it's an illusion to think that professionals will suddenly abandon wholesale the lastest version. Whereas tomorrow's professionals will have been weaned on this. As for hobbyists, again positive as if they migrate into professional, they too will upgrade. Developers will also again, more plugins sold, more exposure, as people migrate up.

In fact I think a lot more software companies should do this, Autodesk for instance, why not give away max 2008, maya 9, softimage 7.5.

As yourself, and those companies really should do the same, "what exactly do we have to lose?".

And if they or you think money, i'll point out that it's not that hard to download the lastest from all over the web. That gains them nothing, not even a future sale. This does, even if its just great pr.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
In fact I think a lot more software companies should do this, Autodesk for instance, why not give away max 2008, maya 9, softimage 7.5.

Does anybody think that it hurts sales when magazines like 3D World or 3D Artist put old versions of popular software on their DVDs? It doesn't. If anything, when bundled with a coupon code, it increases sales of their current version. Lots of companies have done it before. Anybody remember the excitement here when Cinema4D r6 was briefly released for free? How many users did that convert. A fair amount, I'd wager. Creative marketing. Give something to get something.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
PKosow

portfolio
Patryk Kosow
Merrillville, USA

Quote:
Does anybody think that it hurts sales when magazines like 3D World or 3D Artist put old versions of popular software on their DVDs? It doesn't. If anything, when bundled with a coupon code, it increases sales of their current version. Lots of companies have done it before. Anybody remember the excitement here when Cinema4D r6 was briefly released for free? How many users did that convert. A fair amount, I'd wager. Creative marketing. Give something to get something.

I still have that copy and use it once in a while. I might have never used that program if it wasn't used in this creative strategy, who really knows though.

There is nothing wrong with doing this and I don't see how companies can lose money. This also may help out smaller companies that can't afford to upgrade from even earlier versions of the program by helping them in reducing costs in time. Seeing the new features in action for the companies, cost benefits, more productive employees, might entice them enough to upgrade to the current version to reap in the benefits of even more features.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
mattwood
Frequenter

Quote:
The serial IS the same for everyone. Even if it weren't, it'd be a bit unethical to sell something that would have otherwise been freely available, supposedly.

CS2 doesn't run on OSX 10.8 and up and never will. It also doesn't run on Windows RT

Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
artisanfx
dreammotion.com

portfolio
Olcay Birgun
CG Artist
its just Me
Istanbul, Turkey

the download page is online back after a while so it seems that adobe agree to the free offer
because all the cs2 products and serial are public

My WORK

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
trancecaster
Veteran
P.P.
Finland

So, where itīs going with this? Pretty much controversial information about this "free offer" around the internetet...legal, not legal, what? DL:d & installed Illustrator, and happy with that, better than Inkscape.

I think that Adobe should take this as cheap PR...very much similar to SideFXs or NextLimits PLEs - cheap and easy promotion.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanfx
the download page is online back after a while so it seems that adobe agree to the free offer

So are the paintings in the Louvre, but that don't mean you can take them home mate.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
mattwood
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanfx

Seems to me to be a pretty interesting experiment on what happens when you offer expensive software without any DRM:

A bunch of people help themselves, just because they can, and then get so upset at even having to doubt their own ethics on the matter that they go on the offensive and attack the publisher that put them into that situation. The net is rife with it today. People are funny.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood
CS2 doesn't run on OSX 10.8 and up and never will. It also doesn't run on Windows RT

Aren't we funny? Just saying that, from my experience, Photoshop CS2, for example, runs perfectly fine on a modern OS such as Windows 7/8 and is not locked exclusively to its original target OS, Windows XP specifically. That is not to say that CS2 is future-proof. It's not. However, like lots of software, just because the date on the package says that it's old doesn't mean that it's unusable. In fact, there's a whole community dedicated to this "abandonware" notion. As long as the standards and core technology upon which this software is based, namely Win32 and x86, continues to exist, it won't ever fully be dead. Even then, somebody will find a way to get it to run if they really want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancecaster
So, where itīs going with this? Pretty much controversial information about this "free offer" around the internetet...legal, not legal, what? DL:d & installed Illustrator, and happy with that, better than Inkscape.

There has been no further official word beyond that brief statement, which remains buried in less than prominent locations such as their forum and blog.

The chatter coming from the users on the Adobe community is along the following lines:

1. Adobe is screwed because of their own license, which is vague enough to suggest that anybody who downloads it (from Adobe) can use it.

2. The language in yesterday's statement is far too vague and would likely suggest, to an average person, that Adobe is throwing in the towel on this issue, but not admitting fault.

3. Leaving the download page up as-is without further disclaimer, posted terms, or revised access procedures would imply that they've given in to the "for free" miscommunication, but without directly admitting error.

4. Adobe is leaving this situation intentionally vague enough as to possibly discourage people from capitalizing on their error.

Again, this is what's coming out of the users on Adobe's site. It is NOT coming from Adobe themselves. As of 10am New York time, there is still no further clarification from Adobe itself. They have not (yet) said that these users are wrong or done anything else to solidify their position that this is not free.

All we know, from an Adobe forum staffer, is that it is unlikely that Adobe would pursue those who have downloaded it. Really, at this point, you'd have to think that thousands of people have already downloaded it. Adobe can either go with the flow or make these thousands of people unintentional pirates. Not sure they'd want to go that latter route. It's just bad, bad PR.

Adobe has to make this 100% clear in order to deter future downloaders. They need to shut this "for free" notion down out in no uncertain terms. However, for people who've already downloaded it prior to corporate intervention, Adobe may be out of luck. Adobe can't, imo, roll the clock back and rewrite the rules for people who've already obtained it. They may have to suck it up and just prevent future abuse of their mistake. Their intent may have been to service only current license holders, but their actions didn't exactly suggest that. What they actually did will carry more (legal) weight than what they intended to do.

Last edited by cookepuss : 01-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
trancecaster
Veteran
P.P.
Finland

Quote:
Adobe may be out of luck. Adobe can't, imo, roll the clock back and rewrite the rules for people who've already obtained it. .

So I think too. If I understood all this right, these CS2s even won't work well on newer Macs, or Win7-8s.Whatever Adobe says, I think this was very succesful campaign....surely will go on with newer versions of Illustrator at work.

Thread Closed share thread