Adobe giving away free copies of Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign CS2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Adobe giving away free copies of Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign CS2

Get it while it is hot:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...ads&pid=4485850

Site is getting hammered right now but all you do is register and you get the download links and serials.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
The site's down for me, but why would they be giving away free copies of outdated versions of their programs?

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by MOSS: The site's down for me, but why would they be giving away free copies of outdated versions of their programs?

They want to kill open source / other program. When people learn a software, it is an investment. And time equal money. I don't know why, but maybe due to the availability of other cheap software (good enough for casual user) and open source software such as GIMP, people might invested into learning that software, and then just stick with it.

AFAIK, you need to purchase educational version, unlike Autodesk Software. And educational version (at least ASDK) have rules on how to use it.

Anyway, since the web can't be accessed right now, I think Adobe want to destroy this tiny market that they know they wont make any money from, so decided to release their old software. While these software is old, it probably good enough to be better than cheap or open source software.

Good news for them is that once we are used to their software, we just stick to their software via upgrade.

That is my conspiracy theory

Last edited by fablefox : 01 January 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Its apparently because they've closed the CS2 activation servers and want to provide a hassle free way for CS2 owners to keep using their software.

Regarding conspiracy theories, according to those that have it, the Mac version is PowerPC only, so it won't work in Mountain Lion and therefore won't be killing off the new kids on the block.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Originally Posted by mattwood: Its apparently because they've closed the CS2 activation servers and want to provide a hassle free way for CS2 owners to keep using their software.

Regarding conspiracy theories, according to those that have it, the Mac version is PowerPC only, so it won't work in Mountain Lion and therefore won't be killing off the new kids on the block.

Thanks. I'm yet to download it. I'm not sure if it will work on Win 7 64 bit, but I do have an old desktop. But, we'll see about the upgrade path. There are companies that release their old software to rake up on the upgrade path. Some of them have been releasing it (free old commercial version) on 3D World cover back then. It was one of the reason why I hooked up on 3D World magazine. There are always tutorials on the net, but free commercial software (although a version or two old) is good bonus!

Carrara comes to mind. DXStudio too.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Secondary DL site. Woohoo, free PS for the home laptop.

http://noelchenier.blogspot.ca/2013...2-for-free.html

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 01 January 2013   #7
DELETED IT - just in case. Will just get a used copy or something.

Last edited by cookepuss : 01 January 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
That's actually very very cool, because CS2 is totally capable and rocking.
I wonder where's the catch?

Old 01 January 2013   #9
awesome stuff, downloading now

Old 01 January 2013   #10
EDIT:

Turns out its too good to be true. Will stick with GIMP for now.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 01 January 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
As of right now, Adobe is silent on this, which is odd. This just... appeared? I can't see this being legit for commercial use (unless you were previously licensed). I'm thinking this wasn't what was intended, hence the page being taken down. It just seems too good to be true. It's already out for the world to download/install... it'll be interesting to see how adobe handles this.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Charkins: As of right now, Adobe is silent on this, which is odd. This just... appeared?

Adobe is being anything but silent about this atm: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974775

TLDR? Adobe goofed, at least according to Adobe's Dov Isaacs. Apparently, it would seem, this was never meant to go public. It was only meant as a replacement for those who already purchased CS2, but could no longer activate due to the now defunct CS2 activation servers. Unfortunately, this sucker's gone viral and Adobe accidentally/unintentionally released CS2 for free. No way to stop it either since it doesn't dial home for activation. It's out there and, I would guess, somebody's gonna get fired.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Aww, bummer that's its not legit.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Terri Stone:
Originally Posted by union_bug: Well, that's just great! I don't want to use illegal software, and I'm not going to use it now, BUT...I downloaded what I thought was free software to my work computer. I never installed it, but still. Are there plans to crucify those of us who believed the Lifehacker postings on twitter? or any other of the bazillion sites touting it as a free download?

I don't think you have to worry about Adobe coming after you for this, union_bug.

As soon as our execs have approved an official statement on this issue, I or another Adobe staffer will post it here.

FTR, Terri Stone is listed as an Adobe Staffer, Online Community Manager specifically. I think that the gist of her post is: "Oops!"

Anybody who downloaded it probably won't have to worry. Pandora's box is already open. Everybody from Gizmodo to Forbes to CNet reported on this "generous" (and uncharacteristic) move. Adobe will either have to eat their mistake and play nice for the PR or look like total corporate tools by not owning up to their mistake. Right now, the execs seem to be scrambling. I'd like to think that Adobe will opt for the nicer PR move, especially since too many people already downloaded it.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
I got CS2 serial and downloads, but I am not even sure I can sell it, since I think the serial is the same for everyone. It takes only one guy to post the serial and it could go viral.

Thread Closed share thread