Zbrush 4R5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Zbrush 4R5

Pixologic pushed another release out before the end and its a free upgrade for registered users as usual.

http://www.pixologic.com/

Polish by Features - A new set of Polish sliders has been added in the Tool >> Deformation sub-palette to improve your surface and make them cleaner, especially for hard surface models and product design objects. It includes Polish by Features, but also Polish by PolyGroups and Polish by Crisp Edges. DynaMesh functionality has been greatly enhanced and can now retain more of your shape in a lower polygon count than ever before, thanks to the new Polish by Features volume preservation characteristic.

Curves by Features - Creates curves based on the model's PolyGroups, creased edges or its outline. These curves can then be used with any of the curve-based sculpting brushes.

Panel Loops - Based on PolyGroups, this feature will transform the selected model into individual panels with thickness. Or it can extrude those panels from the surface with clean borders and bevels, perfect for hard-edge sculpting.

Delete Loops - Allows you to remove unnecessary edge loops. At higher settings it can also drastically change the shape of your model.

Align Loops - An alternative to the Delete Loops feature, this produces the same visual effect but doesn't change the model's topology.

Dynamic Brush Size - Makes it possible for the brush size to dynamically change as the model moves closer or further away from the camera. This becomes extremely helpful when sculpting items such as bolts, alpha pattern, scales, and etc. No matter the distance the model is from the camera the bolt, alpha pattern and scales will remain the same size due to the brush dynamically changing.

PolyGroup Enhancements - Several functions have been added relating to ZBrush's PolyGroup options. You can now group by normals, merge stray groups (useful when groups have been auto-assigned), crease or uncrease by PolyGroup and also a Smart Polish By Feature function to improve your mesh shape without losing volume.

Posterize - Posterization takes a smooth gradient and converts it to fewer steps with abrupt changes between them; a staircase kind of effect. With additions made to the profile curves, Material Mixer, BPR Filters and a new 3D Posterize feature, you can now easily create a cell shaded render.

See-Through Mode - Makes the entire interface transparent so that you can see open windows behind ZBrush. As an example, you can use your browser to find a reference image and sculpt against it without even needing to import it into ZBrush!

Auto Save - ZBrush will now periodically and automatically save your work in a temporary project file. It will also auto-save when ZBrush is idle, such as if you're away from your computer or switch to another application without first closing ZBrush.

ZBrush 4R5 is also loaded with many other enhancements and additions:

• Topology Brush functionality has been greatly improved thanks to the Dynamic brush mode.
  • Toggle between the Selection type brushes by tapping the Ctrl key in order to more easily switch between these brushes.
  • The TransPose line can now be instantly aligned with the canvas, rotating the model to that angle without spinning it.
  • Convert inserted meshes to a separate SubTool via the new SubTool >> Split UnMasked Points feature. For example, IMM brush insertions can be separated from the support mesh.
  • The Size/Scale of the current SubTool can be set in the Tool >> Geometry sub-palette. Unlike with Deformations, these sliders will retain their values and always operate relative to the original scale of the model.
  • MicroMesh has a new option to align vertices, allowing all inserted meshes to face the same direction.
  • Tool >> Geometry >> Delete by Symmetry is the opposite of the Mirror and Weld function. It deletes half of your object, based on the designated axial working planes.
  • Additions have been made to the PolyGroups features. Merge Stray Groups removes isolated PolyGroups composed of few polygons. Groups by Normal can create PolyGroups based on surface angles. You can also crease and uncrease by PolyGroups.
  • Mouse Wheel Support: Assign the mouse wheel to any slider in the same way that you would assign a hot key.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 12 December 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Cool update. There are some really helpful additions.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
It will great if somehow ZBrush and other sculpting tools later support the pressure sensitivity and tilt of our fingers on a touchscreen so that we no longer rely on the Wacom pen except for detail work. If we need to do a more detail work and don't have access to a pen, we can then zoom in and sculpt with our finger or better, with our fingers. By then, we can sculpt on the bus, on the plane, and on the toilet.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Originally Posted by rock: It will great if somehow ZBrush and other sculpting tools later support the pressure sensitivity and tilt of our fingers on a touchscreen so that we no longer rely on the Wacom pen except for detail work. If we need to do a more detail work and don't have access to a pen, we can then zoom in and sculpt with our finger or better, with our fingers. By then, we can sculpt on the bus, on the plane, and on the toilet.

Sculpting software wont support format features that aren't mainstream just yet. Currently there are very very few touch screen devices that can detect pressure there are advanced pens like the jotit but not from the tablet. There are none as far as i know that can detect the tilt of your finger. Some wacom pen have tilt so maybe that is a feature to integrate but apart from that, what you are hoping for is too far away, especially on a portable device small enough to use on the toilet.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Dynamic Brush Size - Makes it possible for the brush size to dynamically change as the model moves closer or further away from the camera. This becomes extremely helpful when sculpting items such as bolts, alpha pattern, scales, and etc. No matter the distance the model is from the camera the bolt, alpha pattern and scales will remain the same size due to the brush dynamically changing.

Yes!! Been waiting for this functionality for a long time. It will make a huge difference to my sculpting workflow!

Thanks for the nice XMas present Pixologic!

Old 12 December 2012   #6
The website is down & auto update isn't working...

Maybe its the Mayan thing?

Oh, no I'm still here..

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Unexpected update with nice little improvements,

Of course I'm holding my breath for ZB5, which allegedly will go 64bit finally.
Hopefully that release will also have better painting features, ptex etc...
An easier to manage subtool palette along with new breakthrough features us mortals can't even imagine.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
I just wish for a more 'normal' UI.

Doubt it's going to happen, but I've never got along with it.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Steve Green: I just wish for a more 'normal' UI.

Doubt it's going to happen, but I've never got along with it.

I never liked it too until I decided to spend 15 minutes binding my keys and customizing that thing to the bone. There are still a few major things it is missing but I am quite satisfied.

The one andOnly thing I am dying to see in there is subtool control. God I wish there could be a folder system in there just like PS.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
I'm updating now. The see-through mode is very interesting.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Anyone know how to make the Lightbox fit up on one row like before? I don't think I like the 3 rows hogging the page.

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Originally Posted by Dillster: Anyone know how to make the Lightbox fit up on one row like before? I don't think I like the 3 rows hogging the page.

Lightbox. Top right corner buttons.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Originally Posted by Dillster: Anyone know how to make the Lightbox fit up on one row like before? I don't think I like the 3 rows hogging the page.

use mousewheel to zoom out maybe, other than that I do not know.

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Lightbox. Top right corner buttons.

That was it, thanks.

Old 12 December 2012   #15
Still looking for a way to take a camera into Zbrush with an object, so you can view your object from a pre-defined view from max/maya.

Thread Closed share thread