Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
I'm not a fanboy mate, I use Maya, Max and Lightwave. By the way have you read your signature lately 3DS Max boy

Old 11 November 2012   #17
A bit disappointed in the effects honestly. I'm rewatching the BSG right now and the effects are still great. The effects as shown in these videos look so video-gamey I'm not too excited to watch anymore. Too saturated, glowy and just bad lighting on some of the shots. I'm pretty sure LW was used in the first reincarnation of BSG, so I know it can do it. I'm hoping the finals will be a bit better than what I see here, especially since it's what, 4-6 years later?

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Keep it civil guys.

In this age of Mayor multination organizations owning most of our tools, I donít think they need anyone to fight for their so called honor.

Lightwave is smaller privately owned business.
Let them have their moment at the sun.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 11 November 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Originally Posted by coldside-digital: Instead of focusing on the production itself, every opportunity was taken to insert the name "Lightwave".
32 times in 2 pages to be precise....

Originally Posted by BookMansBlues: If you've ever been a LW artist then you'd know why they need to say things like that in the atmosphere of today's market.
Please do elaborate....cause the LW user in me cringes when I read stuff like that.

Last edited by Veehoy : 11 November 2012 at 05:45 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
Again dial it down.
Last warning guys.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #21
Lightwave is quite capable at this type of work. However, the writer trying to imply that Lightwave has some secret advantage or speed gain to be made is a nonsense. If anything, I have found the opposite to be true.
Its simply down to the user/s and their familiarity with the tools.

Last edited by pooby : 11 November 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
Originally Posted by pooby: Lightwave is quite capable at this type of work. However, the writer trying to imply that Lightwave has some secret advantage or speed gain to be made is a nonsense. If anything, I have found the opposite to be true.

I don't think you'd have to prod Gary to talk up Lightwave. He _loves_ that software. And it's done well for him for a long time. I've never used it for characters, but for animating space battles with hundreds of ships that are being updated constantly it really is quite good.

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Find the first 2 episodes here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Machini...e?feature=watch

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Nice article and great work has been done (in very short time also). congrats to all involved.
ICQ - 7128177
Skype - lewis3d
My LWM Car Modeling Video Tutorial

Old 11 November 2012   #25
1.800 fx shots done in 5 months by ten 3D-artists + a bunch of compositing artists! *phew* That must have been a challenge for sure.

After watching the first two 12 min episodes, I have to say that I am impressed. I wasn't expecting that level of quality from such a squeezed production schedule. There are certanly shots that could use some more work, but there were also shots that looked very good and left very little to be desired. Overall, a huge pile of work done by an extremely small team, in a very short time.

The only thing that I have to say I do not like is the extreme lensflares that is kind of over the top and very distracting. Not in all shots, but many.

I would argue that there is something in LW that makes it faster for these types of insane turnarounds. Most packages out there relies heavily on third party renderengines with various levels of integration to the host software, and as such, there are many unknowns that do happen. You end up spending valuable productiontime finding out what went wrong and fixing it, unless you have exceptional skills in scripting or coding, or, make sure you hire some TDs to take care of it. In a productionschedule and budget like that, I would argue that you do not have time for that sort of thing. LWs renderingengine is not a perfect one either, btw, but, the issues that it has is well documented and known, so a seasoned LW-artist will be prepared; there are very little unknowns or unexpected behaviours.

With that said, I can say that I do understand why they are happy with how LW worked out for this project. There is a certain sense of reliability with it when it comes to rendering that I've got to appriciate over the years. In a production like that, there is very little time to dick around and fix problems.

Old 11 November 2012   #26
pretty good 2 eps, i'll agree on the too much lens flare comment..dial it down..it's not a reboot of star trek ya know!

looking forward to seeing how this develops...we don't get much sci fi these days so i hope this complete's it's season/story arc.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 11 November 2012   #27
Originally Posted by pooby: Lightwave is quite capable at this type of work. However, the writer trying to imply that Lightwave has some secret advantage or speed gain to be made is a nonsense. If anything, I have found the opposite to be true.

Yes, that's what it seemed like. Lightwave is a great program, but in the article it sounds like the advantage was that they already had a team of artists experienced with the same program rather than anything in the program being essential to success. And that type of thing could be said about any 3D program. They definitely wouldn't have gotten stuff done in 5 months if they had to hire a bunch of new people who worked with Maya.

Old 11 November 2012   #28
Just watched the first two episodes tonight and really enjoying it so far. The scope of the project and the number of shots these guys pulled off in such a short time frame is extremely impressive. Given the constraints I think they did an amazing job. Definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Originally Posted by pixelforge: Just watched the first two episodes tonight and really enjoying it so far. The scope of the project and the number of shots these guys pulled off in such a short time frame is extremely impressive. Given the constraints I think they did an amazing job. Definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Agreed!

I'd really like to hear about other shows with similar effects and see what software they used as well as the crew required to get everything done. I do hear every now and then that LW can do things more efficiently, though I do believe things rely heavily on the artist. Perhaps it IS Newtek propaganda, but Lightwave is highly capable - especially in sci-fi landscapes.

So... let's see other shows and the software/crew compliment that they used.

Oh yeah... and I'm REALLY looking forward to this show!

Old 11 November 2012   #30
Originally Posted by japetus: Find the first 2 episodes here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Machini...e?feature=watch

Thanks for the link, Mike!

It's been a while since I last watched the "regular" show, and I've so far only had the time to watch the first 5 minutes of "Blood & Chrome" but on first glance it looks neat. I gotta agree though that the glows etc seem kinda overdone. Maybe to cover up some rendering inefficiencies. Still looks cool though.

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 11 November 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Closed share thread