Disney buying Lucasfilm/ILM! Star wars EP7 in 2015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Does four billion seem a little low to anyone? I'm totally guessing here, but I would have thought Lucasfilm to be worth significantly more than Marvel.

No, it sounds about right:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54...Lucas_PNOV.html

Old 10 October 2012   #32
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Does four billion seem a little low to anyone? I'm totally guessing here, but I would have thought Lucasfilm to be worth significantly more than Marvel.

It does seem low for everything; it seems they bought everything but THX?

I think part of that figure comes about because lucasfilm was not publicly traded. Pixar was worth 7 billion prior to disney. and compared to Pixar, Lucasfilm has more.

Last edited by h3llbl4z3r : 10 October 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #33
Call me a skeptic, but I don't see anything good coming from this deal.

I don't think that new Star Wars movies created under the aegies of Disney will wind up any better, from an artistic standpoint, than Lucas's own lacklustre Prequels did.

Yeah, there is a new generation of "young souls" in their teens and tweens out there, who may fall for whatever Disney does with Star Wars.

For me, Star Wars is very much "been there, experienced that, had enough of it".

I won't be trekking to the multiplex to see Disney produced Star Wars films...

Old 10 October 2012   #34
This is really great news for the fans. We do want more live action, now it's guaranteed (and please with Joss Whedon directing! : D )

Mmmmm... Whedon Star Wars....

Hard.. to.. focus.. on... work... now...

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Originally Posted by DePaint: For me, Star Wars is very much "been there, experienced that, had enough of it".

I know what you mean man and I always think I'm there. And then something like this comes out and I'm all eeeeeeeeeee!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #36
Originally Posted by h3llbl4z3r: I think part of that figure comes about because lucasfilm was not publicly traded. Pixar was worth 7 billion prior to disney. and compared to Pixar, Lucasfilm has more.

Pixar was a bit of a special case, though, as Pixar had become a part of Disney's core brand. Disney knew they weren't going to directly get back the seven billion dollar investment any time soon, but letting Pixar go would have threatened their position as the leading creator of family films, and by extension, their merchandising empire.

Old 10 October 2012   #37
2015 is around the corner from a movie production standpoint. That already sounds like they're rushing things...

Old 10 October 2012   #38
Wow I'm so curious to see what happens to ILM especially after the downfall of DD. Will it continue given Disney don't seem to be too interested in film at the moment - they have very few live action films through the disney brand in distribution but perhaps with news that there will be more SW films things will go on as usual. God I'm so bored of Star Wars, so overrated.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 10 October 2012   #39
People critical of the Pixar valuation, remember that Cars merchandising is HUGE.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
More updates:
http://www.theforce.net/topstory/st...tion_148648.asp
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2012   #41

Facebook is worth 100 billion. Friends can tell friends which Star Wars characters and films they like and friends of their friends.

Old 10 October 2012   #42
I dont like the sound of it, i think its wrong, very wrong. Buying Lucasfilm? OK. Making more Star Wars? NO. Hell no. I had enough and even the man himself couldn't make it happen again with prequels. Remember all those Disney Sequels with the main brains not on board? Pirates 4?

I really don't think im gonna be heading to the theaters to see this specially starting with Disney logo!

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Another Star Wars? F*ck off.

Old 10 October 2012   #44
This, well um... I, no words.

Old 10 October 2012   #45
From the AICN rundown of the live streamed conference call on the merger:

"ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate."

I'm bored with Lucas' version of Star Wars. Other people's, I could be interested in again.

Everyone was worried about how Disney would handle Marvel and we ended up with Avengers, Phase 2, only going upward. They know better than to mishandle a cash cow like this.

Thread Closed share thread