Rendering Millions of Polygons with fR4 GPU

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10 October 2012   #1
Rendering Millions of Polygons with fR4 GPU

Testing fR4 GPU on a scene with millions of polygons and a lot of materials:

http://www.cebas.org/blog/


Regards,
cebas Team
__________________
-MK-
 
Old 10 October 2012   #2
Is it not worth showing a scene that looks nice to show these features? There's so many GPU renderers flying about now and your features are not showing anything Vray RT hasn't had for a while which is what most of your target market will be using? The scene you are showing looks worse than a computer game so is not really selling it for me to try it out?
__________________
"Don't confuse me with the facts, I've got my mind made up"!

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script
 
Old 10 October 2012   #3
Dear irwit,

thanks for taking the time to comment about the video. We're showing a product in development. Our focus is not on being shiny and nice - the artists using our tools are much better at this. As it is under development, we are the only ones using this it is not finished yet and we concentrate on features for now. We just assumed that any good artists is able to understand that you can make a better grass model or assign a nicer green colour or even use a texture!

You're right there is lots of good GPU renderers out there! iray is free and comes with every 3ds Max you can use this if you want and try a scene like I showed. Regardless of the colours and shiny material you will choose it is not going to work that was my point on the presentation.

I'm sorry if you got the impression that we could only render ugly shiny green grass with floating trees (yes the tree is floating!).

take care
-ed
__________________
cebas the makers of finalRender
 
Old 10 October 2012   #4
Looks great to me, speed-wise. Maybe I missed it, but would you be able to share what hardware you are using?
__________________
www.psvisuals.com - 3D Visualization and Content Creation
 
Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Edwin Braun: Dear irwit,

thanks for taking the time to comment about the video. We're showing a product in development. Our focus is not on being shiny and nice - the artists using our tools are much better at this. As it is under development, we are the only ones using this it is not finished yet and we concentrate on features for now. We just assumed that any good artists is able to understand that you can make a better grass model or assign a nicer green colour or even use a texture!

You're right there is lots of good GPU renderers out there! iray is free and comes with every 3ds Max you can use this if you want and try a scene like I showed. Regardless of the colours and shiny material you will choose it is not going to work that was my point on the presentation.

I'm sorry if you got the impression that we could only render ugly shiny green grass with floating trees (yes the tree is floating!).

take care
-ed


Hey man

My point wasn't saying it can only do uninteresting scenes, it was more trying to show something it can do that something else cant. Personally I like trying new renderers and I used to use FR a few years ago and liked some of the features. So if these videos were showing me something cool or different or even just a comparison speed test vs other renderers, I may be more inclined to try it out.
__________________
"Don't confuse me with the facts, I've got my mind made up"!

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script
 
Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Decency: Looks great to me, speed-wise. Maybe I missed it, but would you be able to share what hardware you are using?


That was done on a 7 year old MAC PRO Intel and a Quadro 5000 nothing too fancy. If you take the latest HW it would fly even more!

Finding the perfect Cards and Hardware is a complete different discussion.

-ed
__________________
cebas the makers of finalRender
 
Old 10 October 2012   #7
Edwin.... I gotta say..keep up the great work,.. it looks amazing, but a few questions.

Is the grass instances? Deferred rendering of a poly object on a server? Vray has proxy's, (which saves an object on a server and loads it at rendertime) and I"m curious if I can instance a boatload of trees like Multiscatter. Or is this what your renderer is doing?

Using Maya these days... .. not Max..

And one more question.. Is PyroCluster now all incorporated in ThinkingParticles? PyroCluster was awesome.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Edwin Braun: thanks for taking the time to comment about the video. We're showing a product in development. Our focus is not on being shiny and nice - the artists using our tools are much better at this. As it is under development, we are the only ones using this it is not finished yet and we concentrate on features for now. We just assumed that any good artists is able to understand that you can make a better grass model or assign a nicer green colour or even use a texture!

But why not running it on a more complex scene, closer to a real one? Because when it runs with such simple objects, you feel like you've been cheated and it's not fast enough. Anything is fast with untextured simple objects, that's the problem.

Last edited by mister3d : 10 October 2012 at 08:29 AM.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #9
Originally Posted by mister3d: But why not running it on a more complex scene, closer to a real one? Because when it runs with such simple objects, you feel like you've been cheated and it's not fast enough. Anything is fast with untextured simple objects, that's the problem.


Maybe the computer being 7 years old had a bearing on how complex a scene they could tackle? A newer computer could possibly have shown much better what fr4 is capable of.
__________________
I like to learn.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by irwit: Is it not worth showing a scene that looks nice to show these features? There's so many GPU renderers flying about now and your features are not showing anything Vray RT hasn't had for a while which is what most of your target market will be using? The scene you are showing looks worse than a computer game so is not really selling it for me to try it out?


it looks like the hidden reason why it looks like that is because they use a ton of instanced geometry and not 28m unique polys. Thats nothing new or special afaik.

I agree that such a 'simple' scene is no good marketting at all.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #11
Hey come on guys.... you know I can not win here. If I use the machine of our developer 24 Thread with a dual Tesla and K5000 you all say HE IS CHEATING no one has such hardware - the results are not normal.
Now I use every day hardware DUAL XEON, Q5000 and you still complain.

About the scenes, it is a bit tricky right now. We are in the middle of adding back the shaders and let me tell you this is hell! 3ds Max is a monster - the amount of options and possibilities are insane! How many of you ever used the "Output rollout" in the texture? SEE!
That's right now the biggest issue, we do not have all of those features working and we are not even in BETA with our product. We (cebas) are the only ones using it. As soon as our official beta starts you will see beautiful stuff from our Beta testers I'm sure about this - they are real artists.

-ed
__________________
cebas the makers of finalRender
 
Old 10 October 2012   #12
Do not engage in dialouge on this level with commons IMO
You get nothing but oppinions in return.
After all you are the creator, not anyone else. stick with that, stick with your plan and be transparent on the noise.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by gkmotu: Do not engage in dialouge on this level with commons IMO
You get nothing but oppinions in return.
After all you are the creator, not anyone else. stick with that, stick with your plan and be transparent on the noise.


So basicly dont listen to customer feedback... great tip dude.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #14
correct, I hope you can see the banality of nitpicking developers videos.
carry on.
 
Old 10 October 2012   #15
Originally Posted by gkmotu: correct, I hope you can see the banality of nitpicking developers videos.
carry on.


It would be nitpicking if it was about small, unimportant details.. but its not.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.