Pulldownit 2.0 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02 February 2013   #16
So we bough a floating license, but we're encountering several problems.

1)First of all the license is not really floating..
You're floating licenses are tied to an OS, so I can't float one license with multiple computers on a network if they have different OS's. In out case we have linux, OSX and windows maya machines on our network.
All other software (maya, renderman, etc...) have a license server application that manages licenses across a network. This is pretty standard.
The fact that you're advertising it as such is very strange.

2)You need to have an internet connection always active for the plugin license to float?
Again, very non standard procedure.

3)I would post this in the official forums, but it won't let me start new threads and sometimes it locks me out...

4) Most of this information is not disclosed upfront, but in the official docs after purchase.

Right now we have an OSX floating license which is worthless to us, because we need to use this license on a windows and linux machine on different work shifts.
We just purchased the OSX floating license thinking it was a license server like any other license out there, but it's not, it's essentially a node locked license that shifts computers through an internet connection.

The software looks great, but this is not the transaction I expected. Pretty disappointing.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 02 February 2013   #17
Hi Leif,

Pdi floating licenses are diferent for diferent systems becouse developing for windows, macos or linux involves diferent computers, tools and people. We think this is pretty clear in our shop as being diferent products per system and honestly is first time someone complaints about it.

In fact Autodesk licenses Maya as a diferent product for windows, mac and linux, maybe you use the same license for all of them but the license for all systems is for sure more expensive than the license for just one.

So you purchased a pdi floating license for macos and this is what you got, I understand your issue and you can solve it very easilly, just purchasing additional licenses for linux and windows

Please contact thinkinetic by email, we are glad to help you to solve this issue, but this is not the right place

regards,
 
Old 02 February 2013   #18
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Hi Leif,

Pdi floating licenses are diferent for diferent systems becouse developing for windows, macos or linux involves diferent computers, tools and people. We think this is pretty clear in our shop as being diferent products per system and honestly is first time someone complaints about it.

That's why you offer node locked licenses for different operating systems, and that's why you are charging significantly more for a floating license which should float across a network, not tie it down to a OS.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: In fact Autodesk licenses Maya as a diferent product for windows, mac and linux,

No, you're wrong. Maya is sold independent of OS.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: maybe you use the same license for all of them but the license for all systems is for sure more expensive than the license for just one.

No, you're wrong, it's the same price.
The only license that's more expensive is the floating license, which is also OS independent.

A Maya license is available for all three major OS with any purchase. It's never tied down.
When you buy a floating license you install a license server application that manages any number of licenses across a network of maya installs independent of OS. This has been this way forever.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: So you purchased a pdi floating license for macos and this is what you got, I understand your issue and you can solve it very easilly, just purchasing additional licenses for linux and windows

I purchased a floating license for MacOS thinking it followed any other floating license standard, like that of maya or renderman for example where you have a license server.
In the shop it clearly says the license can be used with any machine, it never specifies that it is tied to that OS.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Please contact thinkinetic by email, we are glad to help you to solve this issue, but this is not the right place

regards,

Like I said, I was going to post on the forums but I can't start new threads with my account for some reason.

The main point here is that you guys seem to be oblivious (thinking positively here...) of standard floating license practices for maya.
The way you have it now, if a network has 3 computers with 3 different OS's I have to buy 3 different floating licenses...what's the point then, might as well buy 3 node locked licenses.

It's strange no one else has had this problem really.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 02 February 2013   #19
Well, looking at Autodesk store,

http://store.autodesk.com

aparently maya is sold as diferent products per OS, this happens with all software I know, specially many of the tools we have to license for our own products and marketing charges diferent per OS, and of course we have to license each OS itself.

Floating licenses arent listed in autodesk store, but Im quite sure they charge you more for being system independent.

Thinkinetic products are diferent per platform and OS, single licenses are node locked, floating licenses can be installed in any machine with same OS and platform. Im sure they dont try to cheat anybody about it, this is clearly said in the shop, you say you purchased pulldownit floating for macos and this is what you can read in the shop:

"Pulldownit Pro FLT MAC - Maya MACOS Floating

Pulldownit Pro for Maya 2013,2012, 2011 MAC OS X floating license. Official users guide included.
One floating license can be used in any machine with as much as one user at the same time, you need and active internet connection while using the plugin. Contact marketing@pulldownit.com if you need more info."

can you read it works in windows anywhere? sure not.


I think you got it wrong for some reason and the product you purchased is not enough for your needs, you have to contact thinkinetic by email or using the contact form in the web, sure they will try to find the best solution for you

Last edited by DynamicBoy : 02 February 2013 at 02:27 PM.
 
Old 02 February 2013   #20
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Well, looking at Autodesk store,

http://store.autodesk.com

aparently maya is sold as diferent products per OS, this happens with all software I know, specially many of the tools we have to license for our own products and marketing charges diferent per OS, and of course we have to license each OS itself.

Are you joking? Maya is not sold dependent of OS. It never has...
What you're seeing in the store is just a drop down to give you the proper download link after the purchase, but you can go to your account and download any OS version.
In fact, Maya comes with a license transfer utility as part of the software which allows you to change the license to any computer with any OS at any time without limits.
Do you even own any copy of an autodesk product? because if you would, you would be clearly acquainted with the proper licensing terms.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Floating licenses arent listed in autodesk store, but Im quite sure they charge you more for being system independent.

You're incredible. Of course it's not on their site, you have to contact a reseller.
I can't believe you have such primitive knowledge of autodesk licensing while providing autodesk products.
A maya floating license is completely OS free, it's installed on a license server which deals licenses to maya computers independent of OS.
The fact that you're so oblivious of this is downright insulting.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: Thinkinetic products are diferent per platform and OS, single licenses are node locked, floating licenses can be installed in any machine with same OS and platform. Im sure they dont try to cheat anybody about it, this is clearly said in the shop, you say you purchased pulldownit floating for macos and this is what you can read in the shop:

"Pulldownit Pro FLT MAC - Maya MACOS Floating

Pulldownit Pro for Maya 2013,2012, 2011 MAC OS X floating license. Official users guide included.
One floating license can be used in any machine with as much as one user at the same time, you need and active internet connection while using the plugin. Contact marketing@pulldownit.com if you need more info."

can you read it works in windows anywhere? sure not.

You people are unbelievable. A floating license doesn't work that way.
I've already contacted my reseller and he will take care of this problem, because apparently this is way too hard for you people.
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy: I think you got it wrong for some reason and the product you purchased is not enough for your needs, you have to contact thinkinetic by email or using the contact form in the web, sure they will try to find the best solution for you

The problem here is that the advertising is either misleading or apparently made up by a bunch of people that are ignorant of standard practices in licensing for the last decade.
Either way it's unacceptable.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 02 February 2013   #21
This is my personal account Leif, as I work at thinkinetic I tell you what I know, but I do not represent Thinkinetic in this forum just myself, you have to contact them directly, hope you solve the issue, cheers
 
Old 02 February 2013   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.