CGTalk > Main Forums > News
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Veehoy
Newtek Doormat

Vidar H
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMYLYNN
that's one reason i've decided against this app. the competition has yet to charge an upgrade fee. that alone is reason for anyone considering this to go with the competitor in my opinion as all the apps that i use have implemented GoZ...

Sorry, but if you are under the impression that Pixologic's upgrade policies represents the norm that other companies aim for ( or should aim for) you' re WAY off. Most companies charge for whole version upgrades (like between 3 and 4, which is the case here).....and considering the development that has been done during the v3 cycle (LiveClay, amongst other things) a $60-$80 upgrade fee is NOT a lot of money....

Last edited by Veehoy : 10-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

Agreed,
If one looks at how much is provided in the multiple point releases to 3D coat, to be honest, $60 for a full level upgrade is not, by any means, unreasonable.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkai
Agreed,
If one looks at how much is provided in the multiple point releases to 3D coat, to be honest, $60 for a full level upgrade is not, by any means, unreasonable.

That's still 60 times more expensive than ZBrush though.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
ultramedia
Know-it-All
Simon Orsborn
Australia

only if you ignore the "slight" difference in cost for the original purchase.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
csutcliffe
Frequenter

portfolio
Colin Sutcliffe
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

I'm zbrush through & through & 3dcoat just didn't feel right. Having said that I don't think you can question the price which would be good value for just the retopology tools by themselves!

What's the voxel sculpting performance like nowadays on a non cuda card - it was pretty lousy last time I checked but that was a couple of versions ago.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #21
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutcliffe
I'm zbrush through & through & 3dcoat just didn't feel right. Having said that I don't think you can question the price which would be good value for just the retopology tools by themselves!

What's the voxel sculpting performance like nowadays on a non cuda card - it was pretty lousy last time I checked but that was a couple of versions ago.

I'd say it's pretty good, especially considering all of the LiveClay tools that automatically keep the poly count low as you work. If you like you can even work entirely in Surface mode and work at a fairly low res all the time, only adding more polys where needed and using tools like the Decimation brush can keep it low as well. Of course stuff like that is only for extreme situations like working on an older laptop.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Last edited by philnolan3d : 10-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
Buexe
Expert

portfolio
Jan Berger
Germany

I have ha 3d coat since version 1 and paid for upgrades twice, so the total I spent on this is about 240 $ and I have been using it for years on different machines and they never bothered me with any license file crap. BTW, I tried the retoplogly tool in zbrush the other day and it just doesnt compare to 3d coat ( yet ).

Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
DavidFenner
portfolio
David Fenner
Smog
Santiago, Chile

I find new versions of 3d-coat to be really satisfying, specially for design and concepts. It's simply the program that allows the most flexibility when sculpting, and it's very very forgiving, you can always go back, erase geometry, add more, without the subdivision limitations (like in zbrush that you can't add a mesh after it has subdiv levels). Zbrush is better for fine surface control (specially hard surface), and the deformation tools are amazing, but on pure designing, i prefer 3d-coat just because of how forgiving and flexible it is, then I export to zbrush only if I need to refine my sculpt.

fennercg.com

Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
TIMMYLYNN
Veteran
TIMMYLYNN preecher
Nashville, US

the competition is much better for approx 200 more

i realize most people posting on this thread are Avid supporters of 3dc and i am only posting my opinion after MUCH research into both apps. 3dc is only a couple hundred cheaper and the person who develops this really pushes that as a plus!!! but i've watched demo videos and actually used both apps to do morphs and the competitor is way more responsive to morphing and sculpting than this one. i even viewed a video where one the guy was 'attempting' to do a poser morph and it was 'not good' and he became obviously frustrated and ended the tutorial rather abruptly with 'well there you have it'...i was less than impressed to be nice about it. my post is for people like me who are thinking on both apps and trying to decide which to get as they, this developer and his disciples, tout this to be as good or better than the other app while there are others who say each has its strengths and weaknesses. i am posting this for people who are trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. the OTHER is definitely the best deal and all my OTHER APPS are incorporating GOZ. this says tons to me. now this developer and his disciples, of course claim this app to be just as good for way cheaper which is malarky and they claim the other guys are just good marketers. i have to agree with the majority that the other app is best when comparing the 2 and trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. again i realize and respect that 3dc may have an awesome retopology tool but so does SILO and how old is that???

so in conclusion for anyone thinking of buying 3dc or z and can't decide...based on my research and my opinion you'd be much better off paying 'a little extra' and getting the pro tools. thanks for reading my opinion and i hope it helps someone else make the 'right' decision, especially in these hard economic times we are in. and saying that more apps are going free...to bring this up hexagon is free and i never heard it mentioned as a sculpting tool but there are actually sculpting tools in hexagon and it is completely 'FREE' as of now at Daz3d.com. if you google you can find a video of this guy comparing z to hex with sculpting tools which totally blew me away. the hex morphs looked about like the 3dc morphs. so if you want to 'give' this guy your money do it but if you want morphs as good just go on over to daz3d and download hexagon 2.5 for FREE and use their sculpting tools.

have a great weekend...

Last edited by TIMMYLYNN : 10-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

I'd just suggest that anyone interested download the free trials of softwares and try them out for themselves.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
DavidFenner
portfolio
David Fenner
Smog
Santiago, Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMYLYNN
i realize most people posting on this thread are Avid supporters of 3dc and i am only posting my opinion after MUCH research into both apps. 3dc is only a couple hundred cheaper and the person who develops this really pushes that as a plus!!! but i've watched demo videos and actually used both apps to do morphs and the competitor is way more responsive to morphing and sculpting than this one. i even viewed a video where one the guy was 'attempting' to do a poser morph and it was 'not good' and he became obviously frustrated and ended the tutorial rather abruptly with 'well there you have it'...i was less than impressed to be nice about it. my post is for people like me who are thinking on both apps and trying to decide which to get as they, this developer and his disciples, tout this to be as good or better than the other app while there are others who say each has its strengths and weaknesses. i am posting this for people who are trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. the OTHER is definitely the best deal and all my OTHER APPS are incorporating GOZ. this says tons to me. now this developer and his disciples, of course claim this app to be just as good for way cheaper which is malarky and they claim the other guys are just good marketers. i have to agree with the majority that the other app is best when comparing the 2 and trying to decide on ONE OR THE OTHER. again i realize and respect that 3dc may have an awesome retopology tool but so does SILO and how old is that???

so in conclusion for anyone thinking of buying 3dc or z and can't decide...based on my research and my opinion you'd be much better off paying 'a little extra' and getting the pro tools. thanks for reading my opinion and i hope it helps someone else make the 'right' decision, especially in these hard economic times we are in. and saying that more apps are going free...to bring this up hexagon is free and i never heard it mentioned as a sculpting tool but there are actually sculpting tools in hexagon and it is completely 'FREE' as of now at Daz3d.com. if you google you can find a video of this guy comparing z to hex with sculpting tools which totally blew me away. the hex morphs looked about like the 3dc morphs. so if you want to 'give' this guy your money do it but if you want morphs as good just go on over to daz3d and download hexagon 2.5 for FREE and use their sculpting tools.

have a great weekend...

Hmm... You seem to be comparing apps based on Morphs :S . I also believe Zbrush is the app that you "can do everything in", while 3d-coat lacks a few things here and there. For me, Zbrush is better for a production environment and only in sculpting. 3d-coat has better and more features for painting, and for doodling and concepting characters is also faster and more flexible than zbrush. This based on personal experiencie with both programs. Not even mudbox has the same painting feature set than 3d-coat. Why I say it's faster for doodling and concepting? because it is a permanent dynamesh with no limitation of suvdivision levels. You can erase, reconstruct, paste, reduce or add geometry locally even if you are in the highest level of detail, no need to "erase subdivision levels" like in zbrush if suddenly you want to add an ear to your high poly sculpt, for example. You can get to amazing details with fewer polygons also, thanks to "liveclay" which is similar to sculptris, and it's the only program that you can keep working after heavy decimation, since liveclay doesn't care about geometry stretching or triangles. In zbrush you would have to do a dynamesh or retopo to keep adding detail after decimation, since subdividing a decimated mesh to add more detail would be impossible. 3d-coat is similar to sculptris but also with voxels and some amazing surface cleaning tools, which gives freedom when designing, in zbrush you eventually will need to make the descision to start adding subdiv levels and by doing so losing some sculpting features (like adding meshes), which for me is a limitation. This freedom 3d-coat has plus a complete retopology-painting pipeline makes it a very good software and totally worth it's price.
I defend 3d-coat in this case (even though I use zbrush a lot), because your comparison seems unfare. I've seen the development process in 3d-coat and it makes me sad that some people don't try it, honestly, because its a really useful program and has an aproach to sculpting that zbrush does not, which is more direct and quick.
Of course I'm not saying it's better than zbrush... zbrush alone with it's noisemakers and its trim brushes make it worth its price... All I'm saying is that both programs are worth their price and that 3d-coat is greatly under used. It's like Zbrush is extremely powerful, more than 3d-coat, but has that thing that you have to plan well what you are doing in a certain point cause there is a workflow disconnection (subdiv levels), which makes the "design" or real clay sculpting feeling away a little. What I always do is design in 3d coat, retopology, and then in zbrush I finish my mesh, specially if it is hardsurface, cause zbrush brushes are still waaay better in this.

fennercg.com

Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

It's been a while since I looked at the others, especially mudbox since it doesn't work on my system for some reason. Can either of them paint color/normal/spec/emissive on low/med poly models, such as game models?

Last edited by philnolan3d : 10-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
TrexGreg
Know-it-All

portfolio
Greg
Senior Generalist
Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnolan3d
It's been a while since I looked at the others, especially mudbox since it doesn't work on my system for some reason. Can either of them paint color/normal/spec/emissive on low/med poly models, such as game models?

Mudbox can paint color, specular, bump, normal, displacement, luminance and transparency textures on any geometry; low or high...

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #29
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

OK so in that respect MB and 3DC are about the same.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Phrenzy84
phunky Buddha

portfolio
Andrew Browne
Modeler
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnolan3d
OK so in that respect MB and 3DC are about the same.

Can it do it across multiple UV tiles?

ie Head is 0,1, Chest 0,2....

Can you paint across those surfaces and save those separate maps? Im searching to know if this features exists and i can't find it.

Thread Closed share thread