The 3D-Coat team has been working it's way towards version 4.0 in huge ways and on October 1st the 4.0 beta has finally been released. In fact since then two additional beta updates have been released.
The download and updates can be found here:
You may use this beta as an unlimited 30 day trial as well. You may need to look under Edit > Preferences and check the box "Show Beta Tools" in order to get the latest features.
New features include:
- A new interface with many options for displaying icons, text, or both and menus that can now can be dragged and move with momentum so you can just toss them up or down.
- Painting directly on voxel models
- Live Clay tools that allow sculpting with real time decimation on polygonal models.
- New retopology tools, such as Extrude, which make it possible to do polygonal modeling in the Retopology room.
- New tools for creating and closing large holes in meshes (Perfect for 3D scanning)
- Ghosting of layers, which locks them but they can still be seen transparently.
- Export to Collada (.dae), file type.
- And much much more!
Purchases made during or after August will receive a free upgrade to version 4.0!