Pixar Renderman Pro Server 17 and Renderman Studio 4.0 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Pixar Renderman Pro Server 17 and Renderman Studio 4.0 released

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/Pre...ease_RPS17_RMS4

Can't believe nobody posted this yet

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Saw it earlier, too. What I cannot believe is that we don't hear about more people using Renderman Studio - it's cheaper than vRay, isn't it? When did their pricing get axed like that?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
about 4 years ago this feature release + price strategies would have been interesting...
now... still behind the competition

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by vsPiotr: http://renderman.pixar.com/view/Pre...ease_RPS17_RMS4
Can't believe nobody posted this yet

In the world of tablets and smartphones, where realtime is the king, CineBox and UnrealEngine 4 that will allow making 3D animated movies in realtime is beyond the corner, who cares about yestarday world that Renderman represents ? Only DD, and you saw last month where it led them.

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Old 10 October 2012   #5
This is a great release and Im really enjoying the new features and speed increases.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by tonytrout: This is a great release and Im really enjoying the new features and speed increases.

Same here. This release is the most user friendly out of all RMS releases and has an incredibly robust physical shading system. I've been doing production work with it for months with the betas and it kicks ass IMHO.
One of my favorite things is rendering physically plausible paint fx without poly conversion. There's a new physical hair shader, fluids, caustics, gi, etc. So many more built in tools with the new unified shading system. It's still a TD's playground at heart, but it makes it so much easier for newcomers.

Also, the pricing strategy is way more simplified and cheaper, and the student pricing is amazing this time around. I think you can get RMS and RPS for $200 as a student.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by mantragora: In the world of tablets and smartphones, where realtime is the king, CineBox and UnrealEngine 4 that will allow making 3D animated movies in realtime is beyond the corner, who cares about yestarday world that Renderman represents ? Only DD, and you saw last month where it led them.

Hold yer horses dude, realtime rendering is not near the quality or flexibility of a good off line renderer.

At least not for a few years to come

Old 10 October 2012   #8
the GP material is amazing.

Even though this release is very realism focused I really love renderman for the illustrative work, when you want that "Incredibles" look ....and needed it at 10 sec per HD frame with DOF and SSS.
With it's current move towards more raytraced techniques things are changing a lot though.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Originally Posted by vsPiotr: the GP material is amazing.

Even though this release is very realism focused I really love renderman for the illustrative work, when you want that "Incredibles" look ....and needed it at 10 sec per HD frame with DOF and SSS.
With it's current move towards more raytraced techniques things are changing a lot though.

Not entirely true. Yes, there is a new shift towards raytracing and photorealism, but the whole framework of what makes a reyes pipeline great is still intact in this release. Point based workflows for the gp shader are available and deep shadows are better than ever, they even work in area lights and environment lights, etc...
In fact you can still use it like any other release, it's just better accelerated for hybrid workflows.
Stylized looks are still very much possible!

Old 10 October 2012   #10
I agree Leif, I wasn't very articulate though
This release is far from a step backwards, there's a lot of great new workflows but the old ones still rock!

I still use mental ray as my primary renderer, I only started using RfM recently but with this release I'll definitely be ramping RMS usage as so many more things became accessible to a novice like me.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
The future is realtime yes, but Renderman was there at the beginning and will probably be the last offline renderer standing as long as Pixar will make films.

I tried RfM in the past and while it has amazing features, the hybrid renderengine workflow looked horrible to me. Nailing displacement, DOF and Motionblur is easier than anything out there, but the rest was rocketscience.

Why the hell aren't there any videos on the web, that showcase anything about recent&new RfM features? Re-rendering speed, PPshaders, raytracing power...

I'd buy into it, but I'd have to see and testdrive first.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by wizzackr: Saw it earlier, too. What I cannot believe is that we don't hear about more people using Renderman Studio - it's cheaper than vRay, isn't it? When did their pricing get axed like that?

When Arnold stole the show, but dont mix renderman studio with PRMan.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Wink just a little...

Just a little bit of watching arts...

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: ... but dont mix renderman studio with PRMan.

Not sure what you mean by this. The renderer is still PRMan and has been for several versions. In previous versions however the entry level version of Renderman For Maya didn't give you access to the executable - so you couldn't run PRMan as a standalone process. It also prevented you from exporting RIBs, custom procedurals and a few other more advanced features.

This version they've simplified it from three packages into one package called Renderman Studio.

I haven't used the new Maya plugin so I can't comment on the Maya integration in this new version (new shader, lights, etc), but the volume rendering performance (both in terms of speed and memory usage) in PRMan 17 is amazing, in the few shots we've tried it, we're getting getting 8hr frames down to 1hr.

While it still probably isn't the best choice for a small studio, as a rendering framework for larger studios it's still up there. Even among studios switching the majority of their rendering over to Arnold, they're keeping PRMan around for more esoteric problems that they may face.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
I didn't use it for a while and I made a mistake, I was thinking about Renderman for Maya instead of Renderman Studio.
Last time I checked it was quite limited in comparison to PRMan, but either way I wont be looking back now with Arnold.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 10 October 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Closed share thread