Dreamworks "The Croods" Official Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Dreamworks "The Croods" Official Trailer

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Gee ... I don't know about this one. Every time they use Nicklas Cage for voice over, all I see is a character with a moving mouth and the detached voice of Nick.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Wow! Seems a bit "Brave"ish (willful girl with red hair ) but I loved it!

And the forest remind me a lot of Nausicaa of the valley of the wind
Shape from that thy work of art.
-Longfellow

Last edited by halfPintMike : 10 October 2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Wow! Shes pretty agile considering she has never left the cave! ; )
Can`t say too much yet. Looks ok.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Stoneage or not: No dreamworks movie is complete without fireworks

Old 10 October 2012   #6
So if they never left the cave how did they get foods or the hides they are wearing? Kinda silly...

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Looks kinda fun, but very derivative. Feels like a mashup of Brave, Ice Age, Incredibles, Avatar, & Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. One thing that really stood out to me was the almost creepily real animation on her toes as she's on the rock ledge. It almost seemed like too much articulation for a doughy cartoon character.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
I don't say this often about Dreamworks films, but I was completely blown away at the quality of the lighting! What a gorgeous looking world!

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Looks utterly terrible from a character/story point of view, utterly uninteresting character design which looks like a first year student film....scratch that, I've seen better first year films with more interesting character design that this. Not even going to bother wasting the hour and a half of my life sitting through this. I'd rather stare at the ceiling.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
My nieces are gonna LOVE it!

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBowman
...Not even going to bother wasting the hour and a half of my life sitting through this. I'd rather stare at the ceiling.
Geesh, harsh. haha. Well maby some kids will like it, the ones that aren't professional character designers. But yeah I agree the story seems pretty derivative.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBowman
Looks utterly terrible from a character/story point of view, utterly uninteresting character design which looks like a first year student film....scratch that, I've seen better first year films with more interesting character design that this. Not even going to bother wasting the hour and a half of my life sitting through this. I'd rather stare at the ceiling.

i'd like to see some follow up examples please. for animation science.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
I enjoyed the trailer, not blown away, but interested to check it out.

I just wish sometimes on movies like this they'd actually use good voice actors (maybe guys like Billy West, Jon Benjamin etc) rather than just someone known as a big Hollywood star. I know that's never going to happen as you don't take risks with budgets this size but still, would be nice to see. With a good voice actor the audience might find the characters more unique rather than just 'hey it's a character with so-and-so's voice'.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
I enjoyed the trailer, not blown away, but interested to check it out.

I just wish sometimes on movies like this they'd actually use good voice actors (maybe guys like Billy West, Jon Benjamin etc) rather than just someone known as a big Hollywood star. I know that's never going to happen as you don't take risks with budgets this size but still, would be nice to see. With a good voice actor the audience might find the characters more unique rather than just 'hey it's a character with so-and-so's voice'.

Cheers,
Brian

Couldn't agree more. There's a huge gap in quality between voice actors and normal actors trying to do voice work. A lot of people just don't realize it, but voice actors aren't just actors who don't make it to live action, it's a whole craft in and of itself.

As far as the trailer, didn't really do anything for me. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the character design, and the hair really bothers me, feels like hair from a poser model. Can't put my finger on why... Plus the lighting didn't really blow me away. I don't know, I really think it's just me cause so many other people are impressed with it.

But story alone looks bland. Assuming this will be the every other dreamworks movie I don't like. They go back and forth for me with movies I absolutely love and movies that don't do it for me.

But we'll see, could surprise me!

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Well ... I don't think it was that bad. But then again I'm interested in the technical aspect/animation and sometimes I don't mind "reused concept" movies. It looks fun so ...
Depends on my mood. It doesn't give me enough to watch it on the big screen, but it could be a fun little film on DVD.

Thread Closed share thread