Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiles
Yes you have. They ask for a proof.

That's correct. Our student ID works for this and they verify it quickly, so no long wait to get the software.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Its a good way to get a couple of thousand new people around the world interested & trained in C4D.

Good move by Maxon!

I just wish there was a free "Enthusiast" version for the rest of us who aren't students to play around with...

Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Bullit
Lord of the posts

Meh.

A real change would be you get a free license for freelancers, paying when start to make paid work, , this could be achieved requiring web connection to verify.

I am sure many persons wouldn't have problem paying a % of work if they don't have to make the investment upfront and also to make available the work for the software house promotion.

Besides with Blender being better every year i don't think they can escape from something like this.

Also another issue is the complete useless 30 day demos for professional people. Everyone that works sometimes have 1 or 2 weeks full work or more and haven't time look to the demo in that period but the clock is ticking.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Besides with Blender being better every year i don't think they can escape from something like this.

C4D has a much better UI than Blender, unfortunately. So while Blender is improving every day, the workflow speed doesn't match C4D's. (Unless, maybe, you know the keyboard shortcuts for Blender very well, which I personally don't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Also another issue is the complete useless 30 day demos for professional people. Everyone that works sometimes have 1 or 2 weeks full work or more and haven't time look to the demo in that period but the clock is ticking.

C4D's demo gives you 2 options. Use as much as you want, but save-disabled. Or fully functional, but 42 days trial only...

Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by*BullitBesides with Blender being better every year i don't think they can escape from something like this.C4D has a much better UI than Blender, unfortunately. So while Blender is improving every day, the workflow speed doesn't match C4D's. (Unless, maybe, you know the keyboard shortcuts for Blender very well, which I personally don't).Quote:Originally Posted by*BullitAlso another issue is the complete useless 30 day demos for professional people. Everyone that works sometimes have 1 or 2 weeks full work or more and haven't time look to the demo in that period but the clock is ticking.C4D's demo gives you 2 options. Use as much as you want, but save-disabled. Or fully functional, but 42 days trial only...

I just realized that c4d did that, it isnt a bad option at all.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
That's correct. Our student ID works for this and they verify it quickly, so no long wait to get the software.

Then you would have to explain how a non-student, that doesn't have a student ID can have an account to download and use the software. So, unless something changed in the last 6 months, which could be the case, what I stated as being the reality, is a fact.

Quote:

A real change would be you get a free license for freelancers, paying when start to make paid work, , this could be achieved requiring web connection to verify.

I don't agree with this, I think there should be some amount of investment made, like Houdini Apprentice HD or some restrictions on the software, like Houdini Apprentice. I think that's fair from the company's perspective. We all want free stuff but sometimes that comes with negative unintended consequences.

Last edited by eworc : 09-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Ciuccio
Veteran
portfolio
Giovanni
Palermo, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
C4D has a much better UI than Blender, unfortunately. So while Blender is improving every day, the workflow speed doesn't match C4D's. (Unless, maybe, you know the keyboard shortcuts for Blender very well, which I personally don't).

C4D's demo gives you 2 options. Use as much as you want, but save-disabled. Or fully functional, but 42 days trial only...

This is not true, at all. Blender GUI is one of the better I ever tried (more flexible of modo one and very well organized).
Please, explain why blender GUI is worse for you. IMHO is all a matter of habits: you are used to other GUI blender sound to different for you. I can say, one of the most acclaimed GUI is modo GUI... I hate this.

Some people want see in blender a clone of their favourite commercial application. Blender is not a clone, is a software with its logic and resolve the some problems in a different way, and is the same for Maya, 3dsm, Softimage, Cinema etc.

with the rising of 2.5 release, the complaint about GUI is only made for habit from people who have never tried (seriously tried and studied) Blender.

As for speed, believe me or not, I don't know software more fast than blender (only Silo modelling more fast and only Softimage is fast, in general, like blender). Try it seriously like you trying some commercial software, blender is not a toy. The only things lack (for my need) is a bit more power (viewport is very weak, my hope is on viewport FX google summer of code).

I think blender will cage the balance of many software. I will not surprised if a day Brad Peebler said the move of Foundry acquisition upon Luxology was made for save Modo by blender gain ground little studios and freelancers fields.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Guys, software comparison threads are frowned upon for a reason (see posting rules). Please just stay on the topic of the thread.
Thanks
Björn

Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiles
Yes you have. They ask for a proof.

There´s a "Homestudent" option. No proof needed because that one is intended precisely for that..learning it auto-didactically.

Select it and proceed to download and activate with a serial number right away. While I don´t really like their softwares , I always considered that a good strategy.

PS: That´s about the AD edu versions.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Rikof
PRO

Rick (4)F. van Koert
Retired Illustrator
4F-Creations
Wang-Bang-Rotterdam, Netherlands

So why doesn't anybody asks the question you should ask after reading this: " the free student edition of CINEMA 4D differs only slightly from the package used by professionals worldwide".

What is that 'slight' difference?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink its in the product page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikof
So why doesn't anybody asks the question you should ask after reading this: " the free student edition of CINEMA 4D differs only slightly from the package used by professionals worldwide".

Maybe because there is a product page with the difference being ticked and untick between the two versions? The answer is there and therefore no need to ask?

I mean, that page was even linked in the original post.

Last edited by fablefox : 09-29-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add more info

Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:

In a tough economic climate it pays to create new clients. Give students a chance to learn the software so they can carry that knowledge on to their professional positions. The more clients Maxon has the more they can spend on development. More development means improved products for paying professionals. Paying professional don't need four years to determine if a product fits into their workflow.

It doesn't pay better to distribute hobbled software to potential clients.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
bravmm
Expert
rob wu
3D Animator - Post Production
NL

will there be a difference between scenes created in the student version and the professional one?
or said differently, can you open up your old scenes when upgrading to the commercial version?

really important i guess..

rob

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
SaphireS
green machine

Phil Gosch
Graz, Austria

Already got mine, they are really fast with approving requests, thanks Maxon.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #30
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:

No network rendering, no plugins support, no helpline use, no discount when upgrading to full commercial version. It says it all here:

http://www.maxon.net/products/gener...t-versions.html

Thread Closed share thread