Heart String Marionette :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Very interesting work and article. Pulling off a feature length irrespective of genre and style is intriguing. I have to ask though, do you have a day job or you are full time on this? And if you are full time on this how do you earn your living?

Great questions. How do you overcome the financial barriers that often times leave us all unable to do our projects.

What encouragement would you give other artists?

What would you say to naysayers?

Going to try to ever branch off to do some weird kid movies or g rated crazy stuff? I mean Takahashi mike jumps around creatively from ultra violent, to family fare, to romance. You seem like that type of guy with depth in differant directions.

Old 09 September 2012   #17
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Very interesting work and article. Pulling off a feature length irrespective of genre and style is intriguing. I have to ask though, do you have a day job or you are full time on this? And if you are full time on this how do you earn your living?

I used the profits I made on my 2007 film We Are The Strange to fund this current film and formed a corporation for all my projects- Outside of what I make for animation gigs, selling films, music and books I have a few investors who fund my corporation and allow me to live and work on my films full time. So I'm extremely lucky to be in the situation I'm in so I work really hard as to not waste the opportunity.
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: Great questions. How do you overcome the financial barriers that often times leave us all unable to do our projects.

What encouragement would you give other artists?

What would you say to naysayers?

Going to try to ever branch off to do some weird kid movies or g rated crazy stuff? I mean Takahashi mike jumps around creatively from ultra violent, to family fare, to romance. You seem like that type of guy with depth in differant directions.

Answered your first question in my reply before this up there ^ ^

Encouragement? There's NEVER been an EASIER more accessible or CHEAPER time to make films than NOW... if you want to make a film now and are making excuses as to why you cannot then you probably never will... so start on it today! Don't make excuses, don't look back! Just move forward at whatever speed you can and do the best with what you have now and don't stop till its done! If you don't no one will cry for your film that was never made..instead they'll cheer the other people who overcame the obstacles and finished. Its never been easier or cheaper at such a high quality so don't wait...

Say to the naysayers? Hmmm... Haters gonna hate ^_^

Yeh I'll keep trying everything and see what works best... I'm reading up on game design now as that's the next thing I'm going to get into. Yeh I'd like to try all those different things... but when working alone in a dark room for months tends to cause me to produce dark stuff...if I lived on a beach somewhere maybe I would make brighter things haha
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Wow nice, good to see this on this site! Great read. <3

Old 09 September 2012   #20
I used the profits I made on my 2007 film We Are The Strange to fund this current film and formed a corporation for all my projects- Outside of what I make for animation gigs, selling films, music and books I have a few investors who fund my corporation and allow me to live and work on my films full time

So a quick question and you don't have to answer it.

Given your 2007 "We Are the Strange" what kind of profits did you make?
What opportunities did your efforts lead to?
And how did you find investors to help you?

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Talking

Hey M dot,

As a huge fan of your work, I am absolutely thrilled to see that you've got a new film out! I'm going to buy it the second I get home - and I can't wait to show people.

A few questions for my curious brain:

What is the primary force that drives you? And what do you do to remain motivated and focused?

On the We Are the Stange, you had the 1337 speak subtitles. Did you types those out by hand?

You obviously love video games. What are you favorite games of all time?

Thank you for taking the time to answer people's questions, and more importantly - thank you for making your films.

Matt

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: So a quick question and you don't have to answer it.

Given your 2007 "We Are the Strange" what kind of profits did you make?
What opportunities did your efforts lead to?
And how did you find investors to help you?

It made about $20,000 profit
I got plenty of opportunities but I was too inexperienced/naive to capitalize on most all of them- a more savvy person would have made a lot more money and would have used it to launch a career in the business as there was lots of interest- long story short I got into making films because I like making films not for anything else.

A few people who have been following my career for a long time just decided to take help me, and I'm grateful that they did! So they found me through the things I have finished and put out.
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 09 September 2012   #23
Originally Posted by allergyseason: What is the primary force that drives you? And what do you do to remain motivated and focused?

On the We Are the Stange, you had the 1337 speak subtitles. Did you types those out by hand?

You obviously love video games. What are you favorite games of all time?

Thank you for taking the time to answer people's questions, and more importantly - thank you for making your films.

Matt

I'm glad you're excited about the new film! ^ ^

The force has changed over time- now its really about the challenges- the challenge of trying to take some abstract principles or philosophies and turn them into visual metaphors- so I'm motivated by new challenges- they used to be technical challenges but now its all conceptual and creative challenges....

I made the english subs publicly available and some nice person made the 1337 translation ^ ^

Hmmm would have to be a tie with Metal gear Solid 1 and Resident Evil 4

Thank YOU for watching my friend! ^_^
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 09 September 2012   #24
Well if Metal Gear Solid is your favorite game then here is something for you.

I love Zac Gorman's style. I wanted to do a 3d but 2d rendered movie in his style.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
I am so impressed with this guy and his "one man show" method to animation.

I'll be checking out the film soon. thanks for the story.

Creature Academy Kickstarter: http://tinyurl.com/93rxf7s

and

personal: http://frogchildren.com/Samples.htm

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Originally Posted by frogchild: I am so impressed with this guy and his "one man show" method to animation.

I'll be checking out the film soon. thanks for the story.

If you're interested I made a free ebook sharing my one man show workflow that you can get here

Also I came across your graphic novel whilst working on this film- looking forward to the film! Best of luck!
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Originally Posted by Ryonosuke11: I've been selling it myself through my site using the service DPD - So I've been selling an HD download of the film + the soundtrack for $5 and have sold 800 downloads so far in 3 months- The difficulties have been in marketing/advertising, driving traffic to the site/trailers etc- I do everything myself and I'm not very good at marketing/advertising so I can only hope word of mouth and articles like this will help me move more copies of the film.

Have you considered that maybe your pricing structure is not a good fit for your content? I mean, selling your years of work for $5 may be fine if you're Warner Bros., releasing dozens of films per year, having a back log of thousands of hours of content with nearly everything family friendly and gear to appeal to mass markets, but that is not you.

Is it possible that the 800 who have download your film are the same who would gladly pay $20, $40 or even $50 for your specialty content, content they can't get anywhere else? It's not like the typical action movie, where there are fifteen more just like it sitting on the shelf in the video store.

Is it possible these fans would be willing to pay $100 for this content, bundled with how-to material and other extras?

When the Broken Saints web series was put on DVD, I believe the price was around $120. In Japan, niche market content is such that a single 30 minute episode is about $30. They only sell a few thousand and that is success for them, and they keep making them.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 12 December 2012   #28
This is actually going to be my philosophy too I think, to try and give people a package deal for like $50 when my film is done. I have plans to do 2 documentaries that will go into the package as well, one is a "making of" style doc, the other is a "methods you can use" style doc. Also figure on outtakes, PDF of the script, all that good stuff.

I would happily pay $120 for like an M.Strange megasuperbundle.

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread