Jules123
Expert
portfolio
Julian Bushell
Non-Multiplex Cinema
Croydon, United Kingdom

cgiCITY event summary so many highlights

Hi Folks,

Hope it is okay to bump this up here as I wanted to make sure more read this rather than it being tagged on the end of the old thread.

Want to say big thanks to anyone who came down to our first cgiCITY event (details in the other thread here). Being the first, like the audience, I didn't know what to expect.

N.B.: Flash photography is why the image on-screen is blown out

It was really enlightening to see how Will Rockall and John Sellings, who gave the talk, broke down scenes in their films, going through some quite detailed steps. They were like the masked magicians.

For example, in their film Metamorphosis they would take a scene, explain the workflow. First starting out in ZBrush, importing into Luxology modo, then producing a whole load of rendering passes; diffuse, specular, ambient occlusion, normals, depth, etc. Actually the workflow reminded me of the stages used to render a frame from a 3d computer game engine. Then NUKE was used to composite all these passes along with the acting performances etc.

They also went through the pain they had to go through on a particular scene that involved the actress Maureen Lipman just opening a window. Apparently look an age to fix in post. They had to hide the wind machine, all the wires used to flap the window frames about (which was difficult due to the dress pattern she was wearing), the reflections of the crew in the window panes etc.

They also went through taking quite a busy street scene, to remove people and cars, they were even asked to close the door to a building as it ruined the aesthetics of the shot. Leaving just the main actor and apparently keeping pigeons in shot was important.

Actually much more was talked about in the presentation. I certainly downloaded the information in my brain the best I could.

Some of us went to the pub after for a bit of networking, some stayed to closing time. I know that there were a lot of possible collaborations going on. All and all a fantastic informative evening, in my opinion. A big thanks to Will Rockall and John Selling from Rockkiss DME for their excellent presentation.

On to the next one, which we can't promise when that will be yet. If anyone feels they would like to do a presentation in front of a captive audience then do please let us know, or send me a message or email cgicity@nonmultiplexcinema.com

All the best,
Julian
(Non-Multiplex Cinema)

Last edited by Jules123 : 10-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread