CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
We had a lecture in school before the summer break. I don't remember much of it because it was end of term and if I could have been any less interested, I would have tried my best. But I do remember the lecturer talking about Cloud stuff and he mentioned that the biggest attraction of it for software companies is that it will kill off piracy of their software. He said that at first, prices to use products in Cloud will probably be fairly reasonable, at least until they have it all sown up. Then prices will go up once the majority of users sign up to Cloud to be able to use the latest versions of software like for instance Adobe Suite.

I don't know who the lecturer was, but in the context of DCC the prevention of piracy is probably at the very bottom of the priorities of going cloud based.

The possibilities of cutting down a lot of ancestral distribution organisms, third parties, middle men and the ability to offer and reconfigure an eco-system, and not just stand-alone pieces of software, is the big financially attractive point.

Think appstore/google play for Maya/MAX/Soft plugins with AD getting a cut and distribution (pseudo) democracy before you think getting a bunch of students to pay for the licenses of something they downloaded.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #62
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Think appstore/google play for Maya/MAX/Soft plugins with AD getting a cut and distribution (pseudo) democracy before you think getting a bunch of students to pay for the licenses of something they downloaded.

That's actually a thing that would make a lot of sense to me:
a "Scriptstore/Assetstore" kind of thing, were Autodesk handles all the billings/legalities and direct purchase handlings and takes it's share for it...
They already have done something like that for AutoCAD
http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/home

BTW:
on a different front, interesting ( and IMHO positive) developments are happening regarding a new 3ds Max Product Manager. While other good known 3ds Max people had to go or are changing roles inside Autodesk, this is the first good news in the current situation....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #63
Kabab
Expert

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

Depends at what level of sales your engaging...

That kind of direct sales works really well for simple things like app store style products or highly commoditized things like AutoCAD, max, maya etc etc..

Autodesk is trying now to get into the big boys game PLM which simply put takes all your data be it 3D/2D, pdf's, product specs etc etc and manages it in a Database of sorts to be able to provide companies 1 version of the truth so to speak, then manage this information for as long it's needed...

A really effective way to do this is some kind of cloud solution even more so these days where a lot of outsourcing is involved and there maybe companies working on projects from all around the world..

Pushing these kinds of sales is best done via a highly skilled sales channel..

I think people are getting confused by all these terms ADSK are sprouting they all have very different meanings and implementations depending on what market segment they are targeting...

This post by TIMMYLYNN may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #65
hanskloss
Polynator

portfolio
Przemek Lodej
Poly/Pixel pusher
Detroit, USA

Send a message via ICQ to hanskloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMYLYNN
this kind of thing has been going on with other types of companies in the us AND abroad for years. it's only going to get worse. especially if any of you are silly enough to vote for M.R. if you even vote at all. i guessing most of you are VERY young and that crowd usually doesn't engage in exercising their RIGHT to vote...to busy with job/no job partying and playing video games that kind of thing...politics isn't important...your so wrong...i was the same when i was under 30...i wish i had been different...voting in the us is allowed at 18 same age they'll send you off to war...for real not in a game...i don't use any of their products so i'm hoping for a complete shutdown...they're a major corporation and i'm anti corporate...period...i'd love to see the waltons go belly up...maybe in 3000...lol

Timmy don't bring politics into this discussion. You are too young to realize that all parties are the same. If you think one is better than the other, then you are either very gullible or brainwashed by the ones you support. Stay on topic! Focus!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #66
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskloss
Timmy don't bring politics into this discussion. You are too young to realize that all parties are the same. If you think one is better than the other, then you are either very gullible or brainwashed by the ones you support. Stay on topic! Focus!

Too me this seems like some sort of advanced spam-bot, but i could be wrong of course ...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #67
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog
Too me this seems like some sort of advanced spam-bot, but i could be wrong of course ...

It's Autodesk's attempt to close the thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #68
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
Timmy don't bring politics into this discussion. You are too young to realize that all parties are the same.

i couldn't agree more, please leave politics at the door step before you enter. i really dislike it when politics is brought into discussions that have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #69
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
i couldn't agree more, please leave politics at the door step before you enter. i really dislike it when politics is brought into discussions that have nothing to do with it.

LOL
The major coorporation is laying of 7% of stuff, and politics has nothing to do with it...
In other words economy is not connected to politics... Right?
But , really, you really think that?
That's the best joke I've heard for a while...

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #70
animgiant
portfolio
Kamal Bhattacharjee
Animator
Technicolor India.
Kolkata, India

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
Looking at the last 3-4 years in the exact same product that has been regurgitated with a different interface doesn't surprise me at all.

Yes , You are absolutely correct.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #71
KevBoy
Serious vector deviation

portfolio
Kevin De Smet
CAD Design Engineer
TDE Technologies
Belgium

I'm amazed at the Inforbix acquisition because it really did seem like the kind of young company that might set out to do great things in the coming years, not to unlike the T-Splines acquisition from a few months back. Autodesk does seem to have at least some clue about things.

So M&E went down in revenue, I think most shareholders primarily care about the whole of the business. And the funny thing is that I believe revenue overall was actually up 4% but they had promised 10% so that's why people got upset.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #72
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Riddle me this. It's something i simply don't understand.
http://xsisupport.com/2012/08/31/friday-flashback-85/

Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #73
mynewcat
Feels the need for speed!

portfolio
Justin Dowling
Freelancer
JD3D CGI
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quote:
"I'd say two to three years from now, every one of our products will be used online. The ONLY way to use them will be online."

I wonder how this will affect their future user stream.

The amount of students, learners, dilettantes and small freelancers who start off on pirate software and then become the Autodesk workforce must be pretty high.

Is it possible they are going to reap in shorter term profits for long term losses?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnolan3d
But really in all seriousness, how often does your Internet go down? I don't recall my internet going down ever with my current service. What happens if your power goes out with local software? Do you go bankrupt?

I am sorry do you honestly believe everywhere in the world has your amazing internet service or something?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #75
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
Riddle me this. It's something i simply don't understand.
http://xsisupport.com/2012/08/31/friday-flashback-85/

quite a few upset people there, but i guess you cant blame them. not sure what it means for xsi though.

Thread Closed share thread