Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
If your internet goes down while gaming, you go outside and jog, draw a picture with pencil and paper, read a book (the paperback kind), or have sex with your wife (assuming she's still there after your 12-hour WoW binge).

If your internet goes down while working, you deliver late, lose your job and go bankrupt.

if they have an offline feature then if the net goes down nothing stops you from working

Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #47
monoGana
portfolio
mono
monoGana inc
new york, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
if they have an offline feature then if the net goes down nothing stops you from working

unless the company goes out of business or just stops supporting the product and the licence servers go down.... then what?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
luceric
Frequenter
No longer user this account
Canada

Some of the opportunity behind the cloud stuff is around helping studios deal with the ups and down of the market. For example, when you get a project you might need to add an additional 50 animators seats or processing nodes for a few months, and then you don't need it. So instead of having to have all the infrastructure necessarily to deal with the maximum capacity you might need and leave most of it unused, you have the permanent basic infrastructure, but then use the cloud to expand to deal with the spikes. Lots of things are not necessary to have local.. Autodesk itself is using Exchange and SharePoint hosted by Microsoft instead of running their own servers, something that would have been unthinkable ten years ago; everyone said they would never leave their private mails and documents to a third party. I think in CAD there is a point where the companies are spread across geographies to such a point that the assets are already on a server on another continent and it isn't a great leap to the cloud. Now that doesn't mean there can't be a local application running on a PC and local caches. For example Autodesk's 123D Catch is a mix of the two. But it can mean big stuff could also run on a very lightweight machine.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #49
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
repost from celshader:

Anyone else listen to this part of the video?

From http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7R1BuJYK8#t=02m23s

Autodesk CEO Carl Bass: "I'd say two to three years from now, every one of our products will be used online. The ONLY way to use them will be online."
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #50
HFnord

There is this classic rebuttal by Ken Pimentel. The general consensus back then was IIRC Carl Bass' vision wouldn't come about that easily where "Media & Entertainment" are concerned...

Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #51
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
From http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7R1BuJYK8#t=02m23s

Autodesk CEO Carl Bass: "I'd say two to three years from now, every one of our products will be used online. The ONLY way to use them will be online."

yeah i heard it too when the interview was done a couple months ago.

if you do a search i think you can find the thread about it on here, i think it was said during an interview with max underground. think i got the link

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive.../t-1047012.html

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
online only won't float with me and my 3dsmax unless it's SUPER cheap to maintain/run and nothing like the £620 is will be for subs next year.

hmmm £120 a year for online subs?...okay...but no more!..maybe they'll want it like your sky subscription £40 a month..per channel!

Get your plan b ready...you may need it if you're using maya, max, softimage, mudbox or motion builder.

i can see people sticking with older versions if that the case and looking at cinema4d, modo and houdini for going forward options.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Interesting article about the topic

http://gfxspeak.com/2012/08/23/auto...second-quarter/

Interesting seeing the Media&Entertainment sector's revenue decline over the last four years, while all other sectors are growing ....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #54
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead

not looking rosey for media and entertainment...but that's industry wide..see the recent closures of studio's this month an EA trying to find a buyer.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #55
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

so they don't want to share the number of users on subs anymore eh, is it that bad

Quote:
As of this quarter Autodesk no longer shares the number of its users on subscription. When we asked, a representative responded that a majority of its customers are now on subscription. We can only speculate as to why we won’t be seeing this number anymore.

could there be any truth to the only comment on that link. of course its just this persons opinion.

Quote:
I can see it getting worse for ADSK, a lot worse. They are not positioned for cloud nor mobile. The ‘re-engineering’ costs and time, of current applications, to even approach what competitors both new and old have, will take a massive toll.

The M&E is against cloud, not wanting to risk their ip. The EU (Germany) insists on heavy duty regulations being in place before cloud is allowed.

Socialcam was a overvalued purchase, as its value was already on the decline, and its competitors are increasing.

No, I’m not bullish on ADSK, I see a hard road ahead, with little or no guarantees that they can make it, nor that any of the acq’s will bear fruit…Soon

I agree with your take on ‘blamed the shifting for poor results since’, I believe this is going to be a recurring theme during these calls.

As of this quarter Autodesk no longer shares the number of its users on subscription, this is a great cause for concern for investors. Hard data being capped is NOT what i want to hear.

Given all of the above I think a low 20′s high teens is about where it should be, with all the unresolved issues that surround it. At this point in time, valuing it at anything more is a very risky business.

Maybe its also because I cant see ADSK surviving in a fast and ever increasing rapid deployment to market, it never has been that, I doubt if the culture can survive or manage the change. It’s starting to feel like a 4pm dinosaur.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #56
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Companies are build by vision of people who are among the best talents in the industry, but they understand how money and markets work. They can steal the idea and make them their own.
Companies are runned down and ruined by CEO's who's business is making money.
They don't create, make jobs, nor build anything. Their one and only interest is taking money, and making you as depended on them as possible, so they can make more money. This is how it works.

Everything on the Cloud? What Cloud? Heaven? The whole term "Cloud" computing is hoax.
It's not a cloud. It's a server computer sitting in US, made in china, sitting in some bunker, in the middle of nowhere, they have full assess to it, you don't. And it's YOUR data.
It's like BANK. Give me your money, I will keep it safe for you, and you pay me for it, while I'm making money with your money.
Or in UK there is long list of leeks in databases, due to negligence.. All your data in hands of who? Cloud 9?
Your data is not in a clouds, your head is.

Al

Al

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #57
hanskloss
Polynator

portfolio
Przemek Lodej
Poly/Pixel pusher
Detroit, USA

Send a message via ICQ to hanskloss
I've been through and ADSK cut some 5 years ago...wasn't pretty. Lot's of disgruntled employees, lots of great talent lost, lost of management "tools" left.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #58
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahr
If your internet goes down while gaming, you go outside and jog, draw a picture with pencil and paper, read a book (the paperback kind), or have sex with your wife (assuming she's still there after your 12-hour WoW binge).

If your internet goes down while working, you deliver late, lose your job and go bankrupt.

But really in all seriousness, how often does your Internet go down? I don't recall my internet going down ever with my current service. What happens if your power goes out with local software? Do you go bankrupt?

The real challenge is getting your files in and out of the server, you can't just save the file out of the app and it lands on your own hard drive. OnLive Desktop does it via a website where you go and transfer your Giles to and from the server, then load the app and use them which can be a little cumbersome. The other issue is security not only keeping your files secure but making sure users don't uploaded malware and screwing up th server.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Last edited by philnolan3d : 08-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #59
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This might be of interest:
Autodesk Continues Strategic Investment in Product Lifecycle Management with Acquisition of Inforbix

"SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 28, 2012-- Autodesk, Inc., (NASDAQ: ADSK) a world leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software, continued its strategic investment in product lifecycle management (PLM) and has announced it has acquired certain assets of Inforbix, LLC. Inforbix is a software company focused on cloud-based SaaS solutions aimed at increasing the value of product data, productivity, and improved decision making for manufacturing-based companies. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. As a part of this acquisition, Autodesk also announced that it appointed Oleg Shilovitsky as Senior Director of PLM and Data Management. Shilovitsky is a co-founder of Inforbix, LLC.
“Oleg Shilovitsky is an established PLM thought leader who brings deep industry experience and a history of innovation to his new role at Autodesk,”¯ said Buzz Kross, senior vice president, Design, Lifecycle and Simulation at Autodesk. “Since the launch of Autodesk PLM 360 last year, we have introduced thousands of new users to the power of cloud-based PLM. We are thrilled to welcome Oleg and under his leadership look forward to continued innovation and driving greater adoption of Autodesk PLM 360.”¯

Autodesk plans to incorporate Inforbix technology for indexing, search, personalization and data visualization into Autodesk PLM360, which will help to accelerate the vision for the Autodesk 360 cloud services.
"http://investing.businessweek.com/r...DSK&ticker=ADSK
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #60
Kabab
Lord of the posts

portfolio
babak sanayei
Director
Vizual Element
Australia

That is actually a decent purchase for Autodesk but they are really playing catch up to Dassault they are atleast 10 years behind..

Thread Closed share thread