Autodesk Lays Off 7% Of Entire Staff

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Wonder what it'll mean directly for for M&E releases now. Surely with the price hike announcements and the recent release history, it can't be any worse? ...Right?

Old 08 August 2012   #17
Whenever people were complaining about Max development, Ken always seemed quick to point out that their sales were good, and it wasn't that long ago.On the M&E side, it always seemed a bit ridiculous that they have 3 DCC products in Max, Maya and Softimage. You really can't sell people expensive products which at most levels do exactly the same thing.

Your right, the talk of sales numbers does get mentioned in certain situations among with the vast amount of users and subscription holders.
As far as 3 tools that do the same thing you are on point, at the end of the day some type of consolidation will probably have to take place i guess. First the big giant ea and now issues with ad, i guess something like this would have happened sooner than later. I hope the 500 employees who got let go will find other jobs in a short period of time to continue providing for there families.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 08 August 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #18
I'm guessing they cut staff because the amount of projects and products they have, means they can easily just redirect staff where they are needed and react to development in a more agile way. It would not surprise me if this was the plan all along.

Acquire company, make the development process more efficient, lay off staff, profit

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: I hope the 500 employees who got let go will find other jobs in a short period of time to continue providing for there families.

Absolutely.

Old 08 August 2012   #20
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Well XSI with it's newer codebase would have been the most likely candidate, but they probably would have lost their Arch/Viz clients if they'd done that.

I think it was a mistake buying them in the first place - by all accounts Maya doesn't have massive sales, but it does have that Hollywood glamour... I didn't really see the point of buying XSI just to have it as another DCC tool.

Seems like their spending spree has left them with products that they don't really know what to do with. At least Adobe's suites don't have the same overlap as Autodesk's.

A big company acquire a company for various reasons. Sometimes they do that for just tech or people, not for the product.

I'm sure $35m were very good price for the tech and patent. I dont think Autodesk wanted to have XSI. Autodesk did not even wanted Maya. They wanted Alias Studio and Maya came with it.

Honestly I have been surprised to see them keeping all 3. Maybe finally the time will come.

Old 08 August 2012   #21
These are sad news but hardly surprising.
What's worse is the new mobile and cloud computing vision of ADSK's CEO.
Someone should tell him that the ticket to the future is gpu computing.

Last edited by mustique : 08 August 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #22
Hardly a surprise. Cloud computing I can see working for some firms doing certain tasks with engineering software but 3d applications, that will be a dead end road as there's no way of earth a firm with 300plus seats of maya will want it on a cloud when everything is so customized and then reliant on an internet connection.

b

Old 08 August 2012   #23
Wow if autodesk is really going into cloud and mobile computing, they will go bankrupt.

Cloud and mobile computing is for gaming not working!

Old 08 August 2012   #24
Side note

Originally Posted by Strob: ...Cloud and mobile computing is for gaming not working!
Which brings me to my next question here

Old 08 August 2012   #25
Originally Posted by Strob: Wow if autodesk is really going into cloud and mobile computing, they will go bankrupt.

Cloud and mobile computing is for gaming not working!

let me fix that quote!

Cloud and mobile computing for gaming is not working!
SEE onlive news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19329690

Bankruptcy alternative

OnLive's new backer is the Silicon Valley-based venture capital group Lauder Partners.

It bought the original company's technology, trademarks and patents after the OnLive's board used a technique known as "assignment for the benefit of creditors" - an alternative to bankruptcy.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 08 August 2012   #26
"let me fix that quote!

Cloud and mobile computing for gaming is not working!
SEE onlive news:"

When wireless Broadband 24 hour internet service Miraculously becomes as ubiquitous as indoor plumbing (running water etc)

Only then will all of these "Cloud based" schemes become viable.

Cheers

Old 08 August 2012   #27
So 7% is 500, which means that AD employed roughly ~7,140 people? Is this surprising to anyone else? I know AD has their hands in a lot, but that's an incredible amount of employees/salaries/benefits. And they plan to "create that many new jobs over the course of the year"? Hopefully it's restructuring that will actually "meet the needs of our customers", and not their shareholders.

I hope everyone who lost their job can recover quickly and I hope this somehow helps AD become a better company for the customer.

Old 08 August 2012   #28
I think Autodesk needs to get more in touch with is user base.

Old 08 August 2012   #29
Id be greatly surprised if anyone fired was actually someone who made the stupid decisions that leaded to this

Old 08 August 2012   #30
Someone like Marc Petit?

Thread Closed share thread