Autodesk Lays Off 7% Of Entire Staff

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Autodesk Lays Off 7% Of Entire Staff

Rob note: saw this news on another thread, but it deserves it own thread.

Quote:
"Digital design giant Autodesk laid off 7% of its workforce Thursday, sources tell Mashable.

That totals around 500 employees — including a number of 3D developers and several product managers.

Many of the layoffs were handled on a one-by-one basis throughout the day, following the company’s disappointing earnings report.

“Our own execution challenges, combined with an uneven global economy, resulted in disappointing revenue results for the quarter,” said Carl Bass, Autodesk president and CEO. “The changes better position Autodesk to meet the needs of our customers. We are focused on working through our internal challenges as rapidly as possible.”

Autodesk’s fiscal second-quarter profits fell 9.3%.

An Autodesk representative tell us that while the company eliminated close to 500 positions Thursday, it plans to create that many new jobs over the course of the year.

“As part of today’s announcement, Autodesk shared plans for a restructuring related to executing on the company’s strategy including its continuing shift to cloud and mobile computing, “ the company said in a statement.

”While Autodesk is reducing its overall staffing levels in the near-term, the company will continue to invest in key development areas. In addition, the company intends to consolidate certain leased facilities.”

The restructuring is focused primarily of the company’s shift to cloud and mobile computing.

"
http://mashable.com/2012/08/23/auto...f-entire-staff/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2012
I'm sure they kept that little guy in the basement getting all of our crash reports. (as he gets one, and runs up from the basement to the superiors and they say,. "hey,.. what are you doing up here!?"
... and then he sheepishly walks away, and say,.. "its a big bug", under his breath....

Or perhaps, he runs up and says,. .. "Hey!, we have a new feature request for viewport 2.0!",.. and they stop and look at him. Then start laughing under their breath saying, .. " lol.. he didn't know it was a joke for the users?".. "hahahhaahah".
As they all turn around and say,. "ok guys,.. we need to add more features to the viewcube"

Ok. sorry Autodesk, I just had to make a little fun at some stuff that needs to be addressed... I know you guys all work hard.

Last edited by refract : 08 August 2012 at 07:40 AM.

08 August 2012
Looking at the last 3-4 years in the exact same product that has been regurgitated with a different interface doesn't surprise me at all.

08 August 2012
An interesting snippet of wisdom, not mentioned by the mashable article, you can gather from reading the actual press release:
Quote: Revenue from the Media and Entertainment business segment was $49 million, a decrease of 10 percent compared to the second quarter last year.

The Media & Entertainment "business segment" apparently being the only one, of the one's mentioned in the press release, that showed a decrease of revenue over that specific time frame.

I don't know how much importance one should give to this, but as we are mostly "Media & Entertainment" clients here, AFAIK, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by HFnord : 08 August 2012 at 09:11 AM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by HFnord: An interesting snippet of wisdom, not mentioned by the mashable article, you can gather from reading the actual press release:

The Media & Entertainment "business segment" apparently being the only one, of the one's mentioned in the press release, that showed a decrease of revenue over that specific time frame.

I don't know how much importance one should give to this, but as we are mostly "Media & Entertainment" clients here, AFAIK, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's the detailed table

In the podcast, Carl Bass stated that Central Europe, Brazil and India were the regions which were especially disappointing
Attached Images
File Type: png revenue.png (12.7 KB, 1257 views)

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 08 August 2012 at 09:24 AM.

08 August 2012
Please ignore, my original response was written for the unedited version of the previous post...

Last edited by HFnord : 08 August 2012 at 09:46 AM.

08 August 2012
Watch that M&E revenue continue to sink with lack luster releases price increases and strong competition.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by HFnord: Please ignore, my original response was written for the unedited version of the previous post...

Ahh - thanks & sorry

Yes, i edited my post, because i initially simply compared Q1 to Q2 values, and that looked like a drop in each segement ;-)

08 August 2012
It would be interesting to see where the losses were within the M&E section.

Does Max Design live within AME or considered separate?

People have said that the Arch/Viz sector is hurting especially badly.

Whenever people were complaining about Max development, Ken always seemed quick to point out that their sales were good, and it wasn't that long ago.

On the M&E side, it always seemed a bit ridiculous that they have 3 DCC products in Max, Maya and Softimage. You really can't sell people expensive products which at most levels do exactly the same thing.

08 August 2012
Well, well, well... First Electronic Arts goes on sale. Then Autodesk slashes a few hundred jobs.

Both companies have something in common... They exist purely to make profits, and are not know to listen to their customers, or care about them.

Perhaps its time for a re-organization based around what customers really want?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Steve Green: On the M&E side, it always seemed a bit ridiculous that they have 3 DCC products in Max, Maya and Softimage. You really can't sell people expensive products which at most levels do exactly the same thing.

Indeed, I've been saying it for years: Autodesk should kill off Max and Maya...
(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

08 August 2012
What a PR disaster. First announce a 15% price rise that make them look like bad, then lay of 500 staff on top. My sympathies lie with the workers who got laid off and their familes.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Dillster: What a PR disaster. First announce a 15% price rise that make them look like bad, then lay of 500 staff on top. My sympathies lie with the workers who got laid off and their familes.

The layoff is directly targeted at the shareholders. This is no PR desaster, it's the usual handling of such things with public traded companies. The previous things you mention (and the other few things you did not ) were indeed PR desasters.
But that layoff announcement is exaclty there to deal with the fact that they have not met their revenue goals and to keep shareholders happy over the next quarter despite missing their targets they announce this big layoff
The stock dropped about -15,63 % in the US on friday because of the Q2 numbers

Last edited by spacefrog : 08 August 2012 at 12:47 PM.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by HFnord: Indeed, I've been saying it for years: Autodesk should kill off Max and Maya...
(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Well XSI with it's newer codebase would have been the most likely candidate, but they probably would have lost their Arch/Viz clients if they'd done that.

I think it was a mistake buying them in the first place - by all accounts Maya doesn't have massive sales, but it does have that Hollywood glamour... I didn't really see the point of buying XSI just to have it as another DCC tool.

Seems like their spending spree has left them with products that they don't really know what to do with. At least Adobe's suites don't have the same overlap as Autodesk's.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Steve Green: On the M&E side, it always seemed a bit ridiculous that they have 3 DCC products in Max, Maya and Softimage. You really can't sell people expensive products which at most levels do exactly the same thing.

+ third party plugins to make it friendly & useable.

Thread Closed share thread