Psygnosis, aka Studio Liverpool shut down

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08 August 2012   #16
I don't think it was really Psygnosis anymore. I didn't work at the Liverpool studio but the London (Camden) studio had become very Sony by 2002.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #17
Noooo.....
I used to kill so many joystick on Amiga with their games IMO Shadow Of the Beast series is one of the best games ever made. Actually been listening the soundtrack today at work...
 
Old 08 August 2012   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattoo
I don't think it was really Psygnosis anymore. I didn't work at the Liverpool studio but the London (Camden) studio had become very Sony by 2002.


There were a handful of people left in the Liverpool studio (properly speaking Runcorn) that went all the way back to the days of Imagine.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #19
Thats really sad news, i enjoyed working there (rather a long time ago now). I suppose the way it lost its 'Psygnosis' name a long time ago means it wasn't really the same company more ...but....
 
Old 08 August 2012   #20
Here's an article that's just appeared on the BBC website about the closure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19350856
 
Old 08 August 2012   #21
Ah, the heady days of 8bit computing and midi soundtracks. Brings me back. No 'emotional' drawn-out cutscenes; just joystick-destroying, pixel-perfect jumping fun. (aside from when the tape deck got stuck at 999!)

shadow of the beast intro C64.

a fitting tribute....
 
Old 08 August 2012   #22
__________________
SKETCHBOOK
MDI
moonjam.com
 
Old 08 August 2012   #23
 
Old 08 August 2012   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattoo
I don't think it was really Psygnosis anymore. I didn't work at the Liverpool studio but the London (Camden) studio had become very Sony by 2002.


Camden sadly kinda died even before that. After '98 many of the separate Psygnosis studios outside of Liverpool were wound down and closed. Those that remained were merged into the existing Sony studios and the Psygnosis name just faded away.

A sad day really, as this closure is the end of the direct Psygnosis bloodline. Psygnosis was my first job in games and at that time they were almost ruling on the Playstation.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsey
Camden sadly kinda died even before that. After '98 many of the separate Psygnosis studios outside of Liverpool were wound down and closed. Those that remained were merged into the existing Sony studios and the Psygnosis name just faded away.

A sad day really, as this closure is the end of the direct Psygnosis bloodline. Psygnosis was my first job in games and at that time they were almost ruling on the Playstation.

There's a good promotional video from 1996 for Psygnosis that mentions that 25% of all game sales for the PSOne was from Psygnosis.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
There's a good promotional video from 1996 for Psygnosis that mentions that 25% of all game sales for the PSOne was from Psygnosis.


And if they had made modern games like those for the PS3 I'd have bought one.

Why can't we just have polished modern versions of the games that used to entertain us? Must every game now be of studio-betting magnitude? I'm can almost imagine the curve of their output diminishing with each generational leap.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #27
They made a wipeout and a large expansion for the ps3 early in the ps3's life cycle. The traffics we're pretty top notch. There was rumors of colony wars going up in the psone classics section a while back. I would have been all over that!
__________________
I like to tell people my scars from my CTS surgery are actually stigmata scars.
 
Old 08 August 2012   #28
Brataccas !!
 
Old 08 August 2012   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddgit
They made a wipeout and a large expansion for the ps3 early in the ps3's life cycle. The traffics we're pretty top notch. There was rumors of colony wars going up in the psone classics section a while back. I would have been all over that!


I recently played colony wars on my ps3 with my old PS1 copy. I realized a couple of things:
1) Few studios were making games as grand as that at that time
2) The space combat is still rock solid
3) I used to be WAY better at video games!
 
Old 08 August 2012   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I recently played colony wars on my ps3 with my old PS1 copy. I realized a couple of things:
1) Few studios were making games as grand as that at that time
2) The space combat is still rock solid
3) I used to be WAY better at video games!


haha did they blow up your homeworld?
__________________
I like to tell people my scars from my CTS surgery are actually stigmata scars.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.