Naiad sold to Autodesk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
When their buy big packages where hundreds of people work it's one question.
But what is bad happend when their buy a Naiad with 3 developers?
And other question what it need to add? Sph or grid based ?
I don't think AD integrate it in some their package.
It's just been another app and it will be included in new FX creative suite cos AD i think wan't to compete with Houdini hardly.

Old 08 August 2012   #17
I was planning to buy naiad soon. As a max user i hope they will better integrate it with max. But still it's always a bit sad when a small inovative and creative company is swallowed by a huge corporation.

Last edited by Strob : 08 August 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Strob: I was planning to buy naiad soon. As a max user i hope they will better integrate it with max. But still it's always a bit sad when a small inovative and creative company is swallowed by a huge corporation.

If rf 2013 will have a flip then naiad position will be not so strong

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Strob: As a max user i hope they will better integrate it with max.

Naiad is integrated in max already. The port existed for some time (iirc pixomondo developed something). So that won't need any further time to be released.

Yet history has shed a rather bad light on most things Autodesk put its fingers on.
My guess is, Autodesk is afraid of Houdinis constant growth in the pro vfx market.

Old 08 August 2012   #20
Originally Posted by J-Bond: If rf 2013 will have a flip then naiad position will be not so strong

RF2013 has HY-FLIP, which is also partly capable to use GPU computing to speed up Simulations.

Yet I hope Next Limit doesn't take these news about Naiaid for a reason to lessen the own pressure and postpone their initial release plans for the coming months to the end of the year...

Old 08 August 2012   #21
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: RF2013 has HY-FLIP, which is also partly capable to use GPU computing to speed up Simulations.

Yet I hope Next Limit doesn't take these news about Naiaid for a reason to lessen the own pressure and postpone their initial release plans for the coming months to the end of the year...

nah.. Next Limit will keep jacking up their prices with each release due to less commercial competition from 3rd party devs.

This is great for the consumer as who knows when Naiad would have gone under without someone buying them. You never know the finances of these small companies developing a single specialized product at a high price. It's a tough market. Even larger products like SI were bought at a steal. Crap happens.. use the products with less whining about who owns them. All is right with the world.

Last edited by inguatu : 08 August 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #22
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: Naiad is integrated in max already. The port existed for some time (iirc pixomondo developed something). So that won't need any further time to be released.

Yet history has shed a rather bad light on most things Autodesk put its fingers on.
My guess is, Autodesk is afraid of Houdinis constant growth in the pro vfx market.

Well then they should understand that its growing because its "ONE" solid product...
and not a clutter of bought stuff together.... Autodesk will never get ground back that Houdini took unless they ditch 1 of there 3 packages and focus on 1.
Nobody wants to live forever in this unsure lala-land that autodesk created where you never know what is gonna happen next to your tool.

Old 08 August 2012   #23
Monopolization is never good. All we can do is hope.

Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: Yet I hope Next Limit doesn't take these news about Naiaid for a reason to lessen the own pressure and postpone their initial release plans for the coming months to the end of the year...

Sorry to stray OT I heard that too from straight-from-the-horses-mouth and was definitely put back when I heard it, I would prefer a more stable functional app, but the "Free" in "Free with Maintenance" really sends me off. Call it like it is a $1500+ upgrade.

Old 08 August 2012   #24
I wish somebody would explain to an autodesk Exec... that you can't do with 3D
what adobe did with there products... the concept of a suite does not apply...
And will never be as appealing as 1 tool where you have the feeling the company & there devs stands passionate behind it.

Old 08 August 2012   #25
which basically sums up my first reply:

Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durden: well, this is bad news in every possible way.

Old 08 August 2012   #26
Címon people, I know there is a tendency to place any kind of leftover blame on Autodesk. And disturbingly often quite rightfully so. But if this rumor turns out to be true, it will just be one more investment by Autodesk and probably a wise one. And if this rumor turns out to be true, you could equally argue the owners of Exotic Matter have sold out, placing the blame on the other side for once. As we do not know yet, what the deal is (and if such a deal actually exists), it might just as well turn out to be a wise business venture for both companies involved. There are situations concerning Autodesk where pitchforks might be appropriate, this, IMHO however, is not one of them... yet.

Old 08 August 2012   #27
Originally Posted by HFnord: this rumor turns out to be true,

not a rumor anymore, its confirmed by some legit people from the industry...

Originally Posted by HFnord: a wise business venture for both companies involved

..but not necessarily wise for the customers/users..

Old 08 August 2012   #28
Originally Posted by Mr.Tyler Durde: not a rumor anymore, its confirmed by some legit people from the industry...

Is there any reliable source for this, until then I'm personally treating it a rumor
(albeit a increasingly credible one)
..but not necessarily wise for the customers/users..

Indeed...

Old 08 August 2012   #29
Originally Posted by HFnord: Is there any reliable source for this, until then I'm personally treating it a rumor
(albeit a increasingly credible one)

Indeed...

An email from Exotic Matter stating the fact that Autodesk acquired Naiad tech, as well es confirmations from people who work for the studios is enough for me...

Old 08 August 2012   #30
At least Naiad will finally get a viewcube.

Thread Closed share thread