Apple update Mac Pro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Apple update Mac Pro

I think people holding out on a new Mac Pro will be disappointed, it has received a minor spec bump. According to apple it features "faster processors, twice the memory and new configuration options" I spent some time chatting to them and they gave me this comparison.

***OLD BASE MODEL***

Originally released August 2010
One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor
3GB (3 x 1GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
1TB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 memory

***NEW BASE MODEL***

£2,049

One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor
6GB (3X2GB)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
One 18x SuperDrive
Magic Mouse

new base model CPU

One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3565 processor
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz

Advanced Intel micro-architecture

Integrated memory controller
128-bit SSE4 SIMD engine
64-bit data paths and registers
Optimised for energy efficiency

The 12 core model is £3,099

Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 2.67GHz
Hyper-Threading technology for up to 24 virtual cores

Advanced Intel micro-architecture

Integrated memory controller
128-bit SSE4 SIMD engine
64-bit data paths and registers
Optimised for energy efficiency

There you have it guys, the 12 core model seems like the better deal to me I don't know how much the old models used to cost. If anyone knows do feel free to chime in. The 12 core model seems a lot cheaper than it used to be. No thunderbolt, no USB3, no new graphics card. That is very disappointing indeed. It seems like the Mac Pro is being killed off for sure.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
obsolete

I was pretty dissapointed with the refresh.
I was expecting USB3, 8Gb of DDR3-2133, a Radeon 7870, etc... in the basic model.
For a half what it costs I can get a much better overclocked PC. And if you don't like Windows you can use Ubuntu or a hackintosh.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
they put a whole lot more in the mbp even though they killed the 17"

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Ah, it's not really an update. It's a price drop. It's all the same on the inside.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Not a worthy update. Shame on Apple.

Queue the anti Apple trolls...

Old 06 June 2012   #6
RIP MacPro

Yeah I think its done with. I would have expected a 16 core Mac Pro, latest graphics and 4K cinema displays. I think some film guys could have got on board with that. I couldn't afford one anyway

MacBook Pro sure is nice though.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
They might as well cancel the mac pro line with how they are treating it.

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Disappointing. Posting this from a mac pro, I can tell you these are dead in the water. I am buying a PC with specs that are impossible in a mac(Four GTX 580's) and still cheaper than a mac pro.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
No wonder they didn't even bother mentioning it during the keynote. The new Retina MBP looks amazing though.

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Originally Posted by tuna: No wonder they didn't even bother mentioning it during the keynote. The new Retina MBP looks amazing though.

Yeah, it sounds nice, but the price is also "amazing" just in a different way. I also wonder about that GPU at that resolution when it comes to CG or really anything that isn't iPhoto and browsing the web, it's not exactly the beefiest mobile GPU out there.

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Yeah, it sounds nice, but the price is also "amazing" just in a different way. I also wonder about that GPU at that resolution when it comes to CG or really anything that isn't iPhoto and browsing the web, it's not exactly the beefiest mobile GPU out there.

They showed Diablo 3 being played in full retina resolution so I'm sure it can handle itself for semi-intensive tasks, even if Diablo 3 isn't that demanding. It is strange how they didn't go for something like the 680m.

Old 06 June 2012   #12
There's lots of chatter in various corners of the internet about there actually being a proper Mac Pro update in the works. Supposed email responses from Tim Cook to disappointed Pro users, David Pogue from the New York times talking to executives, as well as this article from Ars Technica. What to believe...? The optimist in me hasn't given up hope yet, but with another potential delay Apple is losing Pro clients in droves.

Old 06 June 2012   #13
Quote: There's lots of chatter in various corners of the internet about there actually being a proper Mac Pro update in the works. Supposed email responses from Tim Cook to disappointed Pro users, David Pogue from the New York times talking to executives, as well as this article from Ars Technica. What to believe...? The optimist in me hasn't given up hope yet, but with another potential delay Apple is losing Pro clients in droves.

if users have to do that it just means they probably had no interest in updating it to begin with, similar to what happened with that last final cut they came out with.

Old 06 June 2012   #14
Originally Posted by tuna: It is strange how they didn't go for something like the 680m.

Heat and power most likely. I had a 580m in a notebook and it was super powerful but the fans were always blasting to cool it. Cards like that take a lot to power (less battery life, bigger AC charging unit), take a lot to cool and produce a large amount of heat which isn't good for a small unit like the MBP.

Old 06 June 2012   #15
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: There's lots of chatter in various corners of the internet about there actually being a proper Mac Pro update in the works. Supposed email responses from Tim Cook to disappointed Pro users, David Pogue from the New York times talking to executives, as well as this article from Ars Technica. What to believe...? The optimist in me hasn't given up hope yet, but with another potential delay Apple is losing Pro clients in droves.

That's not much consolation to people like me who could've used a new workstation two years ago. Looks like I'll be building another PC desktop this year

Thread Closed share thread