John Carmack's 500$ VR Headset

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
John Carmack's 500$ VR Headset

Not sure what to think... It sure sounds like they will deliver a great experience, but look at how big that thing is. Hopefully that gets 'fixed' at some point.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/j...terview-inside/

Old 06 June 2012   #2
He should integrate it with Kinect, then you could be full-body tracking. Kinect isn't the greatest hardware for that, but it can easily be improved.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
it´s an early extremely prototype, but looks very promising.
The FOV is 90° horizontal x 110° vertical. At least, someone gets it right.

this technology stalled out for far too long... it´s been almost 20 years since i tried the VFX1... not much changed since then

Last edited by raffo : 06 June 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
It's interesting to see this kind of thing coming back, I wonder just how they're dealing with the motion sickness this thing causes, that's one of the reasons why the VR devicest didn't take off with consumers.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Originally Posted by 3DMadness: It's interesting to see this kind of thing coming back, I wonder just how they're dealing with the motion sickness this thing causes, that's one of the reasons why the VR devicest didn't take off with consumers.

One thing he was talking about was how the technology has been pretty terrible, his work is focused mainly on improving the speed issues--so it will be able to track the motion much quicker so there isn't lag, and on top of that he's wanting to have support for 120hz for even smoother performance.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
I remember years ago here in the UK when a British company set up a few virtual reality cabinets in UK arcades. I couldn't wait to part with my £5 to have taste of this cutting edge technology.

It was crap. Full on crap.

Since then VR seemed to have died a death. I must say though, this has got me excited again.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Originally Posted by grrinc: I remember years ago here in the UK when a British company set up a few virtual reality cabinets in UK arcades. I couldn't wait to part with my £5 to have taste of this cutting edge technology.

It was crap. Full on crap.

Since then VR seemed to have died a death. I must say though, this has got me excited again.

You are thinking of these

Look at those specs... it was running on an Amiga 3000... what do you expect.

I've tired some of the newer VR experiences and they rock. I think the main problem is creating depth involves trickery which can generate headaches.

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Sounds very cool, really looking forward to him getting it all "on there". Interesting and intelligent guy, I suspect that if anyone in the gaming industry has the reputation and wherewithal to make it happen it's him.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
How does it differ from this kind of tech.

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Field of view and response time.

The vuzix and other similar ones have only about 30-35° of field of view, while Carmack is shooting for about 90°, 3 times as much.

He also states he wants high refresh rate between movement to pixel to avoid motion disorientation.

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Besides that the tracking speed, so that there's not lag from when you move your head to when it can update the motion in the game

Old 06 June 2012   #12
Been following this for a few weeks now, its quite an interesting project, done by Palmer Lucky, and on loan to Carmack for demo purposes. original thread is here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14777 along with carmacks initial impressions and suggestions for the device: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14967

It's definitely more set up for 'power users' and tinkerers, being as there is no software support as of yet that you don't create of your own... but regardless, Can't wait to play.

It's somewhat a shame about the wrong attribution in 90% of the articles online about it, but thats bound to happen with the relative name recognition. (At least CNN got it right eh?!)

Last edited by Vsai : 06 June 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread