Releasing RigMesh v1.0

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by AsaMovshovitz: This is great, how would you export this to an FBX? trying this on one of my characters

Cheers,

Asa

Hi Asa,

Thanks a lot for your interest.

To save the shape as an FBX file:
When you save the created shape (Ctrl+s after the shape is selected) a dialog will pop up. In the "Save as type:", use the drop-down list and select "AutoDesk FBX (*.fbx)" option before clicking on "Save".

So excited to see what you can make using RigMesh

-RigMesh Team

Last edited by rigmesh : 05 May 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo

05 May 2012
Releasing RigMesh v1.01

Dear artists,

Thank you for your interests in RigMesh. We've received a lot of inspiring comments and suggestions. Your feedback is very important to us. We will try to integrate that into our research tool

We are glad to release RigMesh v1.01. It can be downloaded here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4964558/rigmesh_v1.01.zip

The main changes are:
- The merging interface is now "mode-less": it is suggested based on the proximity of the shapes.
While dragging one shape, press and hold Shift, and the system will suggest either:
1. Merging the two shapes by snapping them on a joint:
The closest joint pair on the two corresponding shapes will be highlighted, the grabbed shape will be translated as a preview, suggesting that the grabbed shape will be merged to another by snapping onto this joint when the user releases the mouse.
2. Merging the two shapes by splitting a bone:
One joint on the grabbed shape will be highlighted, together with a "suggested" splitting point on another shape and a cylinder connecting them, suggesting that a joint will be introduced on the other shape and the grabbed shape will be merged by snapping onto this newly added joint when the user releases the mouse.
3. Merging the two shapes by connecting two joints on different shapes (and inserting a bone connecting the two joints in the resulting shape)
When the snapping/splitting bone preview is highlighted, drag the grabbed shape away from the target shape. The closest joint pair on the two corresponding shapes will be highlighted. Meanwhile, a suggested bone insertion will also be highlighted.

- The shapes generated from sketches are improved by using a more robust algorithm

Thanks for your interest in RigMesh!

-RigMesh Team

Last edited by rigmesh : 05 May 2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: minor changes of wording

05 May 2012
holy bananas! this is very cool! I'm giving it a spin :]

05 May 2012
this is great

I've been imagining exactly this process for years and to see someone make it is awesome! please keep it up!

05 May 2012
Smile Some questions on the use of RigMesh

Dear artists,

We are thrilled to see so much interest and participation in trying out RigMesh!

We have a couple of questions to ask. We would really appreciate if you could provide some feedback on these:
1. Do you like always being able to pose the model to see its motion while modeling? Are the skeleton and skin weights created using RigMesh good? If not, where do you feel the results are being awkward?
2. How often in the course of making an animation do you need to go back and change the model itself, necessitating some re-skinning/re-rigging?

Thank you so much for your time

-RigMesh Team

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by rigmesh: 1. Do you like always being able to pose the model to see its motion while modeling? Are the skeleton and skin weights created using RigMesh good? If not, where do you feel the results are being awkward?
2. How often in the course of making an animation do you need to go back and change the model itself, necessitating some re-skinning/re-rigging?

I think it's too early to think of a technology like this changing the way people work, but maybe sometimes in the future, with a much more stable and feature-rich software, yes, I'm sure it would be a technology that would inspire people to work differently.
For now, the skinning is great, but the software itself can't be used as a modeling software, I think, because its modeling toolset is more than minimal and there is very little control over the output.
So to reply to
1: automatic skeleton creation might not fit something like... modeling a human, where you need to set joints accurately, maybe anatomically correct, but not automagically. but for having fun with simple shapes... it's perfect. in general, I think that being able to pose the model is, indeed, very useful for a modeler. but you need to be able to work with symmetry and to have precise control over the values you input, for example... you might need to reset the rotations, to go back to the initial pose.
2:it happens, and it's always a pain. in a very well organized production though, it shouldn't happen too often, or at all. it totally depends on certain creative [or less creative] people who make important decisions... more often than not they don't know what they want. :[ anyway, yes, it would be ideal to work in a non-linear fashion, generally speaking. with nowadays technology... not really possible in most case scenarios [that I can think of].

05 May 2012
I cant understand exactly RigMesh philosophy:
wont it be possible to import OBJ files to rig in this software?
The RigMesh tools to modelling arent enough powerful to produce profissional work
and the main point imo would be to import OBJ made in another softwares
to be rigged.

No plans about that? Or RigMesh will work just opening its own models
(*.shape)?

Thanks.

05 May 2012
Very cool looking tool. The drawing and shape creation is actually exactly like 3D-Coat's voxel shape drawing tools. In fact this seems a lot like a cross between 3D-Coat's sculpting and JimmyRig's rigging. I'm very interested to see how I can use it in conjunction with 3D-Coat.

What would be 100% ideal, would be to use this to start a character model, bring that into 3DC for further detailing, texturing, retopo, etc, then somehow retain the rig when exporting back out.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Last edited by philnolan3d : 05 May 2012 at 10:02 PM.

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by philnolan3d: What would be 100% ideal, would be to use this to start a character model, bring that into 3DC for further detailing, texturing, retopo, etc, then somehow retain the rig when exporting back out.

Thinking the same thing, only about MeshMixer or Sculptris (though I do have 3DCoat). Anxious to see how well this works with Messiah and iClone...

Would even be cool if you could just export the mesh for detailing and then re-import back into RigMesh to have the rig transferred from the base mesh to the detailed mesh.

Might also be neat (though limiting) to have some kind of UVMapping auto-generated so that the models could be painted as Curvy3D allows, or something similar to Archipelis which would allow drawing the shapes over a photo with the image then applied to the created form.

05 May 2012
You know what this would be perfect for? Running on Android. It would be a quick way to do some modeling on the go and it seems like the sketching and moving joints around seems perfect for a touch screen. It also doesn't seem very processor intensive. There are a number of other modeling and sculpting apps I wonder if it would be difficult to port this.

Either way I hope to see an interface soon with some buttons instead of just keyboard shortcuts.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Last edited by philnolan3d : 05 May 2012 at 01:00 AM.

05 May 2012
Looks interesting.. I'll see if I can find some time today or tomorrow to give a more detailed feedback. So far it seems very simple but straightforward.

FonteBoa has some good points there.

Regards

05 May 2012
This looks amazing! Congratulations on the good work :-)

05 May 2012
I can't wait to check it out! Sweet!

05 May 2012
Nice concepts ! sounds sweet, i see great potential and could be especially interesting for some simple animation art for the web. I like the base concept of drawing shapes which become 3d this means more freedom into 3D creation.

As other said the most important thing is being able to better edit the mesh in some way, deforming it, maybe booleans, and even working with other apps like Zbrush or 3D coat.

Production still needs optimized meshes for animation, with edgeloops good for nice deformation at the end of the process. So, through your program and/or other apps for retopology this could be made.

good possibility would be being able to also rig pre-existing models, with quad mesh optimized for deformation.
Last thing would be being able to work with multiple object , to rig complete characters with eyes, accessories, clothes...

Last edited by Nemoid : 05 May 2012 at 11:26 AM.

06 June 2012
This tool is just awesome !!

One thing could be useful : merging with only moving one joint instead of the whole mesh (does it make sense?)

I do not manage to have jpg in the window background. Is there an issue?

Congrats !

reply share thread