Maya 2013 Support
MentalCore now supports Maya 2013, along with a range of new features and shaders only available in 2013:
- New subsurface shaders: core_simple_sss2 and core_fast_skin2. These improve upon the original subsurface shaders by adding a separate scatter radii for red, green and blue components resulting in a much more realistic effect.
- Exr metadata. Full camera information is now automatically embedded in exr metadata, as well as the ability to add custom metadata. Custom metadata can be defined in the MentalCore render globals, or on individual render passes. You can find a free python script for Nuke on the downloads page of our website which you can use to scan a exr sequence and create a Nuke camera from the embedded metadata.
- New Mental Ray 3.10 options. New options available for Mental Ray 3.10 can be found in the MentalCore render globals.
- Icons and UI Templates for new shaders. Icons and Attribute Editor templates have been created for the following shaders:
- mib_ptex_lookup - Includes the ability to specify relative paths for ptex textures.
- abcimport - Includes the ability to specify relative paths for alembic files.
MentalCore is now compatible with SprayTrace, the interactive, Mental Ray compliant renderer - http://www.spraytrace.com. This will be available as of SprayTrace version 1.3.
New Subsurface Scattering Shader
New subsurface shader - core_sss_color_bleed. This shader excels at producing realistic subsurface color bleeding effects and is a lot easier to setup then the standard skin shaders. A single overall color map maybe all thats needed to achieve realistic results. Available for all Maya versions that MentalCore supports.
New Light Shader
New light shader - core_physical_light. This is a improved version of the standard physical light, it has built in support for color temperatures, color temperature presets, improved spot light attributes, and color management.
New Material Shader
New material shader - core_chameleon. This shader allows you to blend together two separate surfaces as if they were one, by smoothly blending the shaders and normals.
New Displacement Shader
New displacement shader - core_displace. This is a simple Mental Ray displacement shader that retains the size of the displacement as a object is scaled.
New Data Conversion Shaders
New data conversion shaders available for converting between data types:
New Texture Shader
New texture shader - core_bump_flakes. This is a variation of the mi_bump_flakes shader that is compatible with the core_material.
The following bugs have been fixed in this release:
- Fixed a possible crash with the core_fast_lmap shader when batch rendering multiple frames with light passes.
- Fixed incorrect light passes when using core_mia_material with Mental Ray area lights.
- Fixed issue with core_texture_lookup modifying uv coordinates.
- Fixed issue with core_texture_lookup when elliptical filtering was enabled, placement options would be ignored.
- Fixed a bug where alphas would be incorrect when using cutout opacity on various materials.