Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to JamesArndt
The Defense of St. Augustine - iOS Project

Lately I've been working a day job, and doing other experiments for games....but the one that has stuck and is getting the focus is this project. I have evenings and weekends to get this thing together and have been making progress on assets. Below is a screenshot from an iPad2. This project could loosely be classified as a tower defense game, but is a little more elaborate in player control, and in the game mechanic. Most of the defense will take place on the shoreline (near town) with enemies coming from an inlet into a harbor. You will be attacking targets from the sea and on the shoreline. Not only will you defend from a fort on the shoreline itself, but you will also have control over defense from the sea within the harbor. This means control over Spanish Galleon ships over the water, as well as artillery from the Castillo De San Marcos fort itself.

I'm targeting the iPad at first, then will port to the iPhone and possibly some kind of desktop application as well. I am sharing the progress as I develop this project. Here are a few Youtube videos of some of the assets so far:

18 lb. Spanish Cannon

18th Century Spanish Mortar

Olde Spanish Dock

Florida Palm Trees

Powder Keg Barrels

Florida Needle Palms

Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

SHIP BLUEPRINTS

I've added a bunch of 16th, 17th and 18th Century ship blueprints up on my blog. They are extremely high resolution in .TIFF format, and they took me days to gather up and compile together. I wanted to share them with others to help make finding references for these types of ships much easier. Enjoy.

fatBOX Software Wordpress Blog Blueprint Links

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Here is a screenshot of the first character for "The Defense of St. Augustine". His geometry is currently 3,004 triangles and the model is currently untextured. This is an early representation of one of the cleaner, more lean pirate variations.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

DELETED FOR REDUNDANCY - For some reason my post would not submit last night, so after several attempts I gave up and closed the site. This morning I check on the thread and it has multiple duplicate posts. These are what I've had to delete below.

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02-16-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

DELETED FOR REDUNDANCY

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

DELETED FOR REDUNDANCY

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
chillnlikeamug
Frequenter
portfolio
John-Michael Le Baron
3D artist
Freelance
Orlando, USA

Send a message via AIM to chillnlikeamug Send a message via MSN to chillnlikeamug Send a message via Yahoo to chillnlikeamug
Great idea! I'll be following your progress. I'd love to be a part of something like this. Being a Jacksonville, Florida native I have a lot of interest in St. Augustine, our country's oldest city.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

Added in another set of blueprints, this time it's for the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides).... follow the link to grab some ship blueprints.

http://fatboxsoftware.wordpress.com/

Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
JamesArndt
Banned

portfolio
James Arndt
3D Artist
fatBOX Software
Ormond Beach, USA

This is my take on developing something that is for historical educational purposes. Here is a very early look at it, and there is an interactive Webplayer. Roam around, check out the Spanish soldier AI patrolling and the two cannons firing at a "cube" enemy ship out in the bay. Now this is VERY early, so I am aware of some things that just aren't right in the build. Collision is missing in several places, animations aren't final...small details too, like the smaller mortar cannon will fire different type of shells and will make a different type of sound while firing. Of course the cannons will not intelligently move themselves to aim at an enemy. This will all be player controlled in groups...very similar in RTS games where you might select a group and give them a command. In this situation I see you being able to command spanish soldiers to do tasks, defend sections of the fort, etc. You will also be able to adjust fire with the cannons in groups.

The Spanish soldiers have more work to be done as well: proper armor, proper helmets and then a couple texture variations. I'm considering firearms as well for AI. Basically this will be an in depth tower defense demo, the large frigates will come into the bay area, you will destroy them, the small rowboats will abandon ship and the enemy will come ashore. Once ashore you play it as if it were an FPS game, using your sword or musket to repel them from the fort. The AI will help repel enemy as well.

Here is the link to the webplayer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/De.../WebPlayer.html

Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread