Adobe Will Only Offer Photoshop CS6 Upgrade Price to CS5 Owners

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2011   #31
Originally Posted by mustique: I totally support the idea of a node based photoshop competitor.

But the interface should be very clear and easy to grasp for people who never saw a node based app, or get scared when they see one. I've lots of photographer friends who perceive a node editor as pure geekery and start to talk about beautifull layer based apps like PS/AE...

Once you realize that a layers stack is a simple linear graph with very rich nodes (a layer is a blend node with a mask input, an adjustment layer an hsv node with a mask,layer set as a sub tree off a masked blend node) we think it should be possible to build a layers system on top of a node graph.

That way you can use either metaphor or a mixture of the two.

I'd love to know what the top 5 killer features in a PS replacement would be.

Old 12 December 2011   #32
Quote: Once you realize that a layers stack is a simple linear graph with very rich nodes (a layer is a blend node with a mask input, an adjustment layer an hsv node with a mask,layer set as a sub tree off a masked blend node) we think it should be possible to build a layers system on top of a node graph.

That way you can use either metaphor or a mixture of the two.

feeble brain has not understand wot u say >_<

Saw a few Youtube vids of CS6 the middle gray UI is totally welcome! Looks like an improvement in that area at least

Old 12 December 2011   #33
Originally Posted by forelle: This is certainly very interesting to us here at team Mari.

Having got a scalable 32bit float painting engine, a python scripting back end and some very interesting image processing stuff in the works this sort of feedback is very useful.

Jack Greasley
Mari Product Manager

This is amazing. Seeing threads like this really opens my eyes.
"How about a little fire, Scarecrow!" (fire meaning Foundry, Scarecrow meaning Adobe)
I've got to upgrade my OS so I can actually use Mari though.

Old 12 December 2011   #34
Quote: Is Photoshop going to need a constant Internet connection in the Cloud?

How do companies and corporations protect sensitive content with this, pay extra to have a version of Photoshop like we have now?

hopefully this FAQ page will answer most of your questions

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Old 12 December 2011   #35
why not just start outlining what would be the perfect movie industry photoshop? what are the necessary elements that make a good photoshop replacement?

gimp is nice although lacking direction (and fell behind), blender doesn't focus on 2d although there are some features that could easily cross.

The only issue that i've seen with companies and free software is the use of GPL, but would another license like BSD better attract production companies? would said companies contribute code or just run their own branches?

Here's to the new CGPaint!

Last edited by h3llbl4z3r : 12 December 2011 at 08:15 PM.

Old 12 December 2011   #36
Originally Posted by forelle: Once you realize that a layers stack is a simple linear graph with very rich nodes (a layer is a blend node with a mask input, an adjustment layer ...

Sure that's the definition of node based workflows and it is actually easier to grasp if you wouldn't have learned a layer based painting app before. But sometimes thinking simpler is actually harder

The truth is, both approaches work fine to a certain degree. Nodes tend to get really confusing once the node tree becomes huge. And yes, there could be a better approach.

1- Take the layer window of Photoshop, and turn it into a mini " layer node " for example.

2- Try to mimic selection tools of photoshop in the viewer, but let the app itself generate the associated nodes in the editor. I like softimages render tree, it looks very clear and helps you out when you try to connect incompatible values.

3- Present interesting effects as digital assets where you can dive in and see which combined nodes make that effect work. The same might be cute for the "mini layer node" itself. (houdini/ICE) diving visually into / out of node networks is actually much better than the nuke style node editor IMHO.

4- PS has funny 3D and motion graphic tools, so show them how it is done. That could be a strong selling argument.

5- integrate a fast and simple photo/asset browser. Everybody hates adobe bridge.

Did I say keep things simple?

BTW, Designers hate browsing their files with linux fonts.

Ok that's what popped up to my mind.

Old 12 December 2011   #37
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: ....two wrongs don't make a right "here buy something else you don't want or need instead/on top so it's all good" seems supremely arrogant and out of touch.

QFA Isn't that the truth! I love how "they" listen to user input. Was there a survey I missed?

The exact reason why I, personally, didn't fall prey to the silliness that is the CS suites. This for some is a great product, for me, no. I don't want 8 products when only need/use three and only two of the three regularly. So I stay with individual perpetual licenses and I upgrade every 3rd version, sometimes earlier if a feature truly appeals to me, only later if I am going to loose the ability to upgrade. I know I am not the only way with this behavior.

I would still be using AE7 if it weren't for fact it finally came out with 64-bit support.

The subscription model takes the "failure" indicator pretty much out of the picture, it makes it more difficult for the consumer/user to slap-the-hand for a lousy development cycle, only by cancelling the subscription. If the cost is low enough most users might just endure a crappy release cycle.

Old 12 December 2011   #38
Well for me the trouble isn't the product, it's that it's a future they haven't sold me as a consumer on. It just looks like something that's better for the company and they've assumed that the rest of the world care or feels the same way.

It's just bad pr and marketing and doing things the wrong way around. It's obvious stuff, soothing the savage beast, they should have started out by selling the new, and then changing the old, rather than the other way around, which has resulted in starting out with alienating the existing customer base and then trying to push changes that seem bound purely out of self interest down their throats

It's just so arse about face and clueless, and yes it just invites competition. Best of luck to any that give it a shot though as it's a seemingly trivial task with a very obvious set of requirements, yet no-one has so far managed to get it even semi-near right, just look at Gimp *shudders*.

Old 12 December 2011   #39
I dunno why someone hasn't really tried to make a Photoshop replacement??

Surely some VC firm could throw $10 million~ at some talented developers and let them go nuts for a year or two...

Everyone knows what a good image editing program needs, the algorithms are not black magic and the outputs/inputs are standard formats..

Photoshop is really expensive @ $1k so there is a lot of room to undercut and just sell directly online to keep sales costs down..

I think there is a serious opportunity here give the right team/developers..

Old 12 December 2011   #40
Actually there have been lots of attempts over the years, and not just Gimp. There was Deluxe Paint, PC Paint, Photo Paint, Corel gave it a decent shot (and some might consider Painter an option too even though that came from outside), then there were a number of very specific hardware locked tools like Quantel and so on, every so often someone gives it a chance but tends to fall flat for all sorts of reasons.

The thing is I doubt there are any venture capitalists for such an endeavor. Outside of the problems with people who just don't "get" what's required somehow and keep on churning out stuff that you can't imagine how they thought that would be a suitable replacement (probably because they don't start off with an understanding, just a business desire), Adobe holds a hell of a lot of patents that would likely become a heavy sticking point if you're not extremely careful, also it takes a madman or a genius to attempt to enter an already filled up market rather than just trying to find a new niche and push that open, and while individuals may fit that bill VC's are not as a rule quite as totally insane or far sighted as you might have been lead to believe back in the day by the dot com bubble. Still if there are any out there with a handy $10 mil to spare, feel free to get in touch!

Old 12 December 2011   #41
A project worth to support in the vector-graphics area
http://www.freefreehand.org/
A group of people who want to free freehand from Adobe by buying the code and giving it a future, maybe in a similar way as it was done with Blender.

Old 12 December 2011   #42
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Actually there have been lots of attempts over the years, and not just Gimp. There was Deluxe Paint, PC Paint, Photo Paint, Corel gave it a decent shot (and some might consider Painter an option too even though that came from outside), then there were a number of very specific hardware locked tools like Quantel and so on, every so often someone gives it a chance but tends to fall flat for all sorts of reasons.

No one overly innovates but..

If someone made a photoshop replacement which used a layers and nodes based workflow nicely integrated (i got some idea's on this) and had a full vector tool set as well (i think its crazy you need 2 programs for this PS and illustrator)... I think you could make real traction, there is no reason you couldn't have 1 application that does what illustrator, photoshop and afterfx does and you could do it all much better since its in an integrated environment...

The patent bit would be interesting though...

Old 12 December 2011   #43
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: A node-based Photoshop would be very exciting... especially if it had a good solid Python scripting back-end so we could actually easily write tools. Photoshop's scripting support is abysmal.

If I were looking to make a node based photoshopish program this project would be on my shortlist of starting points.
http://gegl.org/
Which is currently getting some love from AMD.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...item&px=MTAyMDg

Last edited by KayosIII : 12 December 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 12 December 2011   #44
Originally Posted by Kabab: No one overly innovates but..

If someone made a photoshop replacement which used a layers and nodes based workflow nicely integrated (i got some idea's on this) and had a full vector tool set as well (i think its crazy you need 2 programs for this PS and illustrator)... I think you could make real traction, there is no reason you couldn't have 1 application that does what illustrator, photoshop and afterfx does and you could do it all much better since its in an integrated environment...

The patent bit would be interesting though...

Well for the Photoshop/Illustrator integration you have this: Autodesk SketchBook Designer

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...9&siteID=123112

I've not tried it so I don't know how good it is...

Old 12 December 2011   #45
I'd also like to know why adobe keep on insisting on a steeper pricing structure for UK residents.

On the subscription program you can get the Creative Suite Design Premium in the US for $95 = 60 approx in the UK it's 85 = $135. I don't get this when the software is a download?

it's not like they have to worry about shipping costs or customs???

Thread Closed share thread