Adobe Will Only Offer Photoshop CS6 Upgrade Price to CS5 Owners

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Which makes this sudden change to this all or nothing approach even tougher to swallow. Why such extremes? Wouldn’t a gradual increase in upgrade price as you fall further behind be more reasonable?

Agreed. A tiered upgrade path would be a better way to go.

I bought my PS upgrade shortly after this news first came out. Fortunately, the sales prices are a good deal if you plan on sticking with Adobe. It'll be interesting to see how successful Adobe will be with this new upgrade plan. I just hope that this isn't the coming trend for other software makers.

12 December 2011
I have concerns with the Cloud setups. Back in 2004, Adobe had to put Counterfeit measures in Photoshop.

When anyone is using on the Cloud, who is watching what we create?

Will the Counterfeit measures be actively reporting back to Adobe and back to the Eu and whoever else is watching?

Where do our rights end up in all this?

Is Photoshop going to need a constant Internet connection in the Cloud?

How do companies and corporations protect sensitive content with this, pay extra to have a version of Photoshop like we have now?

The subscription model is about $600.00 a year. I know not every user is up to the latest and greatest but for the casual users or part time Photshop users this subscription model I think is interesting.

The other thing is what guarantee that Adobe is going to continue to provide value for that $50.00 a month subscription?
Look most of us need and use Photoshop, but when does Photoshop cross that line like a "Pay for" MMO and the end user goes why?

I dunno, I do not like the current trends of some of the software companies with all this subscription thing. I understand why they are doing it.

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by danielh68: This is disappointing news. I really don't care for the push of cloud technology, either. I like to own my stuff and have it on my hard drive. The subscription based model makes me feel more like an indentured servant rather than a customer.

True.
That whole cloud hype is a sneaky move to get hold of personal and business data. I'll never buy into it. As for Photoshop. I surely won't miss CS6's 3D features. I can live with CS4 for the next decade.

12 December 2011
Building own software

To be frank, this is the time where building your own software is a good idea - there are much too many open source software to incorporate code from (just remember to check the license).

open development is also a nice idea in a way (ptex, collada, etc, etc, etc). So if someone think that the best way, even cost effective (in pipe line ease of use, programmable, etc, etc) then building own software is a good idea.

12 December 2011
A node-based Photoshop would be very exciting... especially if it had a good solid Python scripting back-end so we could actually easily write tools. Photoshop's scripting support is abysmal.

12 December 2011
From the sounds of that, building on top of Blenders existing technology would be the way to go. It already has good node editor for both materials and compositing (a revamped one with opencl support is on the way making it much faster), python scripting and from the sounds of it a robust data format to store scene data. Building a 2d program around it's existing technology would be really powerful.

12 December 2011
The only thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that Adobe didn't inform me about this directly in any way (an email would have been nice) and, as mentioned, their decision to make the announcement at the end of the upgrade cycle is off. Even though I now have to somehow budget an upgrade from CS4 to 5.5 (MC, not just Photoshop) for what I'll be getting to costs involved aren't insanely high.

That all said, I'm no fan of the cloud stuff either.

12 December 2011
Hi as a 3D animator/VFX person I dont use photoshop for any actual original creative work
Only for slight post adjustments/filtering on still renders
I am stil running the CS3 Suite and getting along fine.

This aggressive push for Cloud based computing/apps is bothersome.
but in the long run I suspect that it will create a natural counter market of competing software and hardware that is made to run offline
Unless the sheeple become so spineless& dumbed down that they allow their governments to outlaw stand alone software&hardware under the guise of "nation security"

Cheers

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: A node-based Photoshop would be very exciting... especially if it had a good solid Python scripting back-end so we could actually easily write tools. Photoshop's scripting support is abysmal.

This is certainly very interesting to us here at team Mari.

Having got a scalable 32bit float painting engine, a python scripting back end and some very interesting image processing stuff in the works this sort of feedback is very useful.

Jack Greasley
Mari Product Manager

12 December 2011
I find it interesting that you guys find it interesting.

Well I bet you could fill an email quickly with suggestions.

I think Photoshop is Ubiqutous, but I think PS could be ripe for a competitor.

The thing is that PS has a Core competency that appeals to hard working professionals to the very meager part time casual users. If anyone could hit close to that core they could have a winning thing.

12 December 2011
Quote:
This is certainly very interesting to us here at team Mari.

Having got a scalable 32bit float painting engine, a python scripting back end and some very interesting image processing stuff in the works this sort of feedback is very useful.

That's promising news and definitely something to hope for

HelzerSketch Blog

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by forelle: This is certainly very interesting to us here at team Mari.

Jack Greasley
Mari Product Manager

The time is ripe for a competitor to photoshop. Adobe's got a few chinks in the armor especially after the last few years.

If you build it, they will come!

12 December 2011
I can see a day when we no longer have the option to "own" software but only "rent" it on a monthly basis.

In my opinion this move by Adobe may maximize short-term profits but may also cause significant erosion of their customer base in the long term. I have been a loyal customer of Adobe software for the past 25 years but I cannot continue upgrading at this pace and will look for open source alternatives.

Adobe, you're burning a lot of goodwill!

12 December 2011
Quote: The time is ripe for a competitor to photoshop. Adobe's got a few chinks in the armor especially after the last few years.

Agreed, funny how 3D software seems a lot more complex to write but has tons of competing professional products that are all top class. All Photoshop has for competition is painter, but even then its not really fair to make a direct comparison, since they address different users.

I actually tried using Mari as a 2D paint tool on a flat plane just to see where the overlap was. I think anything that has something similar to the dual-brush engine in Photoshop would be a good start so i can recreate my brushes 1:1. Photoshop has a clunky UI that cant be customized. Even small stuff the 3D apps have had for decades its lacking, like a proper lattice deform for example. I would also like RGB and HSB sliders displayed at the same time, panning the canvas in a window, PS has no flexibility regarding that kind of thing!

Last edited by conbom : 12 December 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo

12 December 2011
I totally support the idea of a node based photoshop competitor.

But the interface should be very clear and easy to grasp for people who never saw a node based app, or get scared when they see one. I've lots of photographer friends who perceive a node editor as pure geekery and start to talk about beautifull layer based apps like PS/AE...

A nodebased photo app should target the prosumer audience if it wants to become mainstream and give adobe a run for their money. There need to be "ditch photoshop and never come back" effect. Cause nobody would buy both apps. Only the popular one. And the only way to do that is to make things "look dead simple".

This is a hard thing to do, cause 10 years later people will probably expect apps to be even simpler then they are today. Blame it on the iPad.

Thread Closed share thread