Lagoa Multiphysics :: Technology Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2010
So am I getting this right? They released "some" of their ICE nodes to Autodesk and kept the rest for a separate product SlipStreamVX?

09 September 2010
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes: So am I getting this right? They released "some" of their ICE nodes to Autodesk and kept the rest for a separate product SlipStreamVX?

Sort of. Lagoa Multiphysics, which was created by Thiago Costa independently, was licensed to Autodesk. SlipstreamVX is a separate ICE simulation project (which focused on simulating different physical phenomena) that resulted from collaboration between Exocortex Technologies (my company) and Thiago Costa.

If you want to try out SlipstreamVX and its GPU-accelerated point renderer (which is similar to a previous project of mine, Krakatoa) you can download a free trial here:

http://www.exocortex.com/simulation/slipstreamvx

-ben

09 September 2010
Originally Posted by CiaranM: I think this is quite an old release as they've added some nice ICE related stuff to the SDK since then. The latest demo might be best, if you can manage on only 30-days.

Very true, but my idea to recommend the Mod Tool was merely a suggestion to "get your feet wet", to find out if ICE even works for you, without the 30 days restriction of the demo version. That demo would have been the next step after you "get your feet wet": "diving in", so to speak...

09 September 2010
The multiphysics teaser is very cool!

Last edited by TheGrak : 09 September 2010 at 10:19 PM.

10 October 2010
Question

I've asked in a few places and heard nothing, so here goes one last try...

Will this article ever be restored? Anyone know?

10 October 2010
Works for me. Seems to be back online.

10 October 2010
i find it funny that the article was substantially changed.
even funnier is that the whole part where thiago said
he was looking forward to implementing the tech in other apps
got scrapped. wonder why....

10 October 2010
And still not a single word about runtimes, although itīs even already released. Well, I have the feeling I shouldnīt wait for it.

10 October 2010
Congratulations, Thiago. It is very much fun to work with it. Softimage is so ridiculously underrated (or rather under-represented I should say) - I hope this helps change that a little

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by Designer: And still not a single word about runtimes, although itīs even already released. Well, I have the feeling I shouldnīt wait for it.

I think you must give people some time to test Lagoa.

//I'm running simple fluid test with 3 million particles, 300 deforming rigid bodies acting on it and it's simming stable at 15 minutes/frame / 30 substeps.

10 October 2010
yeah, Lagoa is awesome and very inspiring to me!

A few weeks ago I created a custom SPH fluid plugin for SideFx Houdini: http://vimeo.com/15536503
aprox. Release: December 2010, of course FREE

It is running on the GPU through OpenCL. Lagoa runs only on the CPU (if I'm right), so there is huge potential for future versions. Congratulations and many awesome simulations to XSI community.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by Designer: And still not a single word about runtimes, although itīs even already released. Well, I have the feeling I shouldnīt wait for it.

Not everybody (in fact nobody I know of in any FX department) is that obsessed with pure numbers that are close to impossible to compare and contextualize anyway. User experience is all here.

Why don't you just wait for a demo and try it yourself, since I suspect even if people posted something you would spend countless posts arguing how those numbers were obtained and in what context

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Not everybody (in fact nobody I know of in any FX department) is that obsessed with pure numbers

Well, I donīt know if anybody asks this in a production environement but for a researcher in the cg fluid dynamics field, statistics of the usual scenarios (double-dam breaking simulation would be a good example) is the most normal thing in life.

Quote: that are close to impossible to compare and contextualize anyway. User experience is all here.

Of course they are comparable. If you know the amount of particles and the system specs then you can compare it just like that. No interpretation or anything necessary or contextualisation. I am not sure what you mean or where you derive this argument from. You may not be fully able to compare the results, this is absolutely down to the algorithm but thatīs about it. I donīt see a reason one cannot compare the standard fluid scenes in terms of performance.

Quote: Why don't you just wait for a demo and try it yourself, since I suspect even if people posted something you would spend countless posts arguing how those numbers were obtained and in what context

As I wrote before I am interested in its speed. Itīs been talked about a lot and the results look great (maybe you should read the whole thread beforehand?) and please stop getting sarcastically harsh. You donīt know me so please stop pretending I would react like this or like that. Either you answer constructively or you leave it alone but donīt judge my possible personal reaction. you donīt know me.

And if you had read the thread before you would have seen that I am not the kind of person who wants to argue but simply shows interest in the technology behind it, without any judgement. If you have read the thread then I must conclude that you are stirring on purpose and then this is discussion is over. I want to discuss constructively not personally.

Last edited by Katachi : 10 October 2010 at 11:18 AM.

10 October 2010
Those granular examples look real pretty, as do all the other solvers.

My biggest worry would be rendering the stuff. Changing topology has been a tough nut to crack in situations like that, or at least not many people have presented truly production-ready solutions. And although meshing functionality was shown, I'm not too sure how well it scales to millions of particles. I'm itching for a demo version

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by noouch: I'm itching for a demo version

Might have to wait until v2012 then. Since its a subscription advantage release-those with subscription get it anyway. So they don't need to 'demo' it.

Thread Closed share thread