Tom Hudson proposes Autodesk!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by hotknife: People don't use state sets because they still don't work. Used them in a number of simple scenes lately and they still bum the project out, it's a shame they could be really useful.

Save yourself the hassle and get RPManager. It's got more features than AD could ever hope to develop and it works great.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by bjoern: My Message (wish) to Autodesk.
Please Kill all 3 Apps!! Or leave one alive and kill the rest.
I'm a Maya user mainly (12 Years plus). But I don't care if I have to switch to Max or XSI.

I do care if I've to switch to Maya and I guess many other users care too.
It takes time, money, energy part of your life to learn a new 3d app. So, definitely I do care.

08 August 2013
I use statesets a lot and works quite well actually.. it had a bit of a bumpy start but I haven't had any problems with it for a while now.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by cresshead: We give Max, Maya and Soft the same priority.
Maya for instance has terrible poly reduction tools so we look at Max and Soft, Soft has the best. We look at Softs code and see how it works and then implement it into Maya.

Another example is Max has the fastest view port they see how that works and translate it into Maya.

So 'prioritizing' Softimage means taking all the good stuff from it and implementing nothing? It very much looks like it given the terrible releases of 2013 and 2014.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by hotknife: People don't use state sets because they still don't work. Used them in a number of simple scenes lately and they still bum the project out, it's a shame they could be really useful.

It said 'Scene States'. This is something different.

So.....we are cross-financing Maya development with our subscriptions?

Well, well.....

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by MGernot: It said 'Scene States'. This is something different.

So.....we are cross-financing Maya development with our subscriptions?

Well, well.....

State sets are supposed to be 'scene states' 2.0. From what I gather. RPManager still much better than both...

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I realized with Autodesk it is always "oh you just wait! something amazing is just around the corner!" yet that never seems to come out.

The 'corner' is really a 'roundabout'.

08 August 2013
If Max is not the "kind of application" that requires OpenSubdiv then there is clearly a major disconnect between Max developers and Max users. The second most popular request on the modeling Max feature request feedback forum is Catmull Clark Subds with 649 votes.

What is the point of a Max feedback forum if the developers are going to independently divine if not outright ignore our needs. This seems to confirm all of the latest laments on Max development. Why can't Autodesk keep a focused, coherent development team together? Where is our subscription money going? Where is Max going? Does anyone know?

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by fez:
What is the point of a Max feedback forum if the developers are going to independently divine if not outright ignore our needs.

Because it makes you *feel* better. It's the same reason Obama has these public petitions available... but the funny part is that the executive branch doesn't have the power to enact them. It's theater.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by cresshead: comment from MAXunderground:

One Guy asked about Open subdiv.
ADSK explained Disney paid us to put it into Maya. It took 18 months to integrate it. Asking if it was going to be implemented into Max the answer was no ,“Max is not that kind of application”

Another guy asked about Ptex.
ADSK said they put it into Maya but wouldn’t be putting it into Max.

Alembic was mentioned.
ADSK said they just put it into Maya but were not putting it into Max. Max has FBX so it does not need it. We were told again how interoperable all there products were now compared to 4 years ago.

Not that kind of application?

There's a lot that I still love about Max, but hearing this is really disheartening. FBX and Alembic don't even really serve the same purpose. I don't know much about open subdiv, but it sounds like a great thing for character/creature work. Ptex would solve a big problem that we've been fighting for years. OpenVDB and some tools to put it to use would be LOVED around here.

08 August 2013
With regards to #180 , arch-viz, yes there are a lot of tool aimed at arch viz that are just plain flawed or full of bugs. Yes a large % of the tools available work good enough for what we do, but it doesn't mean we are happy with the progress of development or the quality of implementation.

For a lot of us we rely on plugins for stuff that should be in the core package, Marvelous Designer is a good example, if Max's cloth simulator was fully developed (as we have been asking for for years) then we wouldn't need to a plug-in to create realistic sofa's and un-made beds .

Mentalray is fantastic, and if it received the proper loving and implementation it deserves then I would have to spend more $$$'s and vray.

If FBX is the recommended method of transferring Revit models, why does it suck so much?

BB is essential, why isn't it being further developed?

So what if Max is be directed to Arch-Viz then ADSK has a very different idea of what tools we need/want than we do. Arch-viz is no longer just about building models of buildings and is more about creating worlds.

08 August 2013
Sorry but I have to do it one more time. Donate to Blender! Seriously! Be it 10-20, heck even 5 bucks month is A LOT less than MAX subscription and what you will get is FAR more rewarding. It's not about donating lot's of money, but lots of people donating a little bit of money.

About MAX now, sincerely IMO it would be quite naive to believe in the "We are listening" talk. C'mon, they think we are blind? For how long are we hearing the same thing, 4/5 years? Why are we all still mad? What kind of proof is needed for you to understand that "MAX is not that kind of application"? For Christ sake this sentence tells EVERYTHING. Can Tom's proposal change their view about it? HARDLY I say. I bet it will happen the same as always have been: They say they listen, people calm down, and nothing changes.

Anyway, just for the sake of comparison, below is a list of some of the projects being worked on for Blender:

1. ViewportFX: A viewport refactor designed to handle complex scenes and effects.

2. Despgraph refactor: Refactor of the scene graph evaluation system with support for multithreading.

3. OpenSubdiv: They worked out with Pixar and they changed OpenSubdiv licence system to so it could be implemented in Blender. Now they are working on it.

4. Alembic: Plans are to make alembic the default cache format for Blender. And of course IO with it should be expected once you have that.

5. Particle Nodes: Particles are just a first step, it's main inspiration and goal is to be much like ICE in style and power.

6. OpenVDB: They want to implement it as basis file format for volume data.

7. ...and what I love the most about Open Source, here's the roadmap for the next few versions http://code.blender.org/index.php/2...2-8-and-beyond/

This is MUCH closer to what I want than MAX have been offering and ever will, since it's "not that kind of application". I find it impressive because those guys are not afraid to work. What frustrates me to death though, is seeing that many fantastic projects (including these) often don't see the light of day because lack of funding. Everyone wants Blender developers to give their free time, for free. No one want's to pay yet complain it's not complete. Don't even try using it in production yet complain it's not production ready. This while paying *big* amounts of money on packages sometimes with similar problems.

Arguably one of the most important aspects of the open source nature is to be able to start a fundrising project to a specific feature if there's a wide interest from the userbase. You can put your money exactly where you need it. But we want them to do it for free, right?! But paying for max and see the money probably going everywhere but max development is fine.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to Blender or to suggest using it as your main package (not now anyway). You may realize if it's more useful than you think once you dig into it. My main goal here is to open your minds that you can help Blender be more "complete" and "production ready" if you donate (even small bits) and give feedback. Blender's user base is composed mostly by hobbyist and non professionals, particularly lack studios using it. So if more pro users get involved adding feedback, willing to pay to get the feature they need, I truly believe we get a great software rather soon. It's not too far to fulfill my needs and possibly of many others here too.

Last edited by Eugenio : 08 August 2013 at 05:56 AM.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Eugenio:
OpenSubdiv: They worked out with Pixar and they changed OpenSubdiv licence system to so it could be implemented in Blender. Now they are working on it.

AFAITold the license was changed for the port-over to OGL, and Apache happened to be the easiest hop from MS.
Blender accidentally, being GPL v2+, suddenly benefitted from it (Apache) being GPL 3 compatible.

The rest is also a bit on and off.

08 August 2013
Quote: We give Max, Maya and Soft the same priority.

yes, how can doubt about this statement? For these reason softimage is the only without a SAP in 2013 and without a "extension" in 2014 release...
Yes... future is bright and we are all full of faith in ADSK.

Also the ADSK statment after the acquisition was all respected:
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/Int...e_of_Softimage/
yes, we can trust adsk words...

About blender, it's really funny how all those who are involved in some way with the big names in the industry tend to disqualify or downscaling Blender.

What I see is a suite (blender is a suite) well equipped for freelancers or small studios.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Ciuccio: About blender, it's really funny how all those who are involved in some way with the big names in the industry tend to disqualify or downscaling Blender.

What I see is a suite (blender is a suite) well equipped for freelancers or small studios.

Are you talking about me?
If so how did I disqualify it? I can link you articles where Pixar engineers outline the importance of an initiative like Blender if it makes you happier.

I simply corrected what I believe to be an untrue statement, as the license change when discussed at Siggraph was outlined as OGL driven (and part of the answer to the concerns that the tessellation part was always shown on DX11 only).
If enabling Blender as a side effect was intended or not I frankly wouldn't know.

reply share thread