Nintendo expects limited losses from Wii launch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by sheppyboy2000: Nintendo then, due to market dominance, began shipping a larger and larger amount of defective consoles to stores and unlike trends at the time, refused to take the defective returns as credit towards future purchases. Store then had one tough decision, either such up an occasional $300 loss or risk losing the ability to sell NES games.

when did a nintendo console ever cost 300 dollars?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: For all of you Nintendo lovers let me remind you (how quickly we forget the negatives of the past) blowing on and popping up and down NES carts if you even wanted to play a game....

How quickly we forget...? That was 20 years ago!! Heh. Since then, we've had the Game Boy, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, and the DS, none of these with this problem. Yeah, we expended tons of energy to suppress that one. Hehehe.

Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: While yes it is entirely true that Nintendo has made pretty sturdy systems since they came out of the stone age and ditched the Cart system (so that would be gamecube only) they still havent had an original title in about 20 years.......they made about 5 titles and remade it over and over and over and over and over again.....HOW MANY MARIO GAMES CAN YOU MAKE??? or Metroid, or Yoshi (a spin off of freakin mario) or megaman, castlevania, donkey kong.....the over played and way too overdone Zelda series is the only thing they've done in a while that at least had a story.......COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL FOR GODS SAKE!!

Yeesh. Almost not worth going into this one, really. Super Mario Bros. != Super Mario 2 != Super Mario 3 != Yoshi's Island != Super Mario 64 != Super Mario Galaxy, yadda yadda yadda. It really isn't worth calling those games remakes. Compare those to say the Sonic series, and you'll get a little more about what I mean. Nintendo also gave us Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Wario Ware, Mario Party, Mario RPG (admittedly, that might have been 2nd party...), Nintendogs, yadda yadda yadda. If you were talking about Mario Kart, I'd be more inclined to agree. That was more of an evolutionary series.

Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: Wow, Wii is motion control.....woohoo....DS has a touch screen.....ooooo, awesome gimmick that wears very thin after about 20 mins of gameplay.....nintendo has become the Flash Arcade of consoles.....kinda reminds me of high end graphics versions of those little tiger games we had as kids.....no substance, no story, just a way to kill some time while waiting for the bus.

Erm, okay. I could take the cheap way out and point out that the DS kicked the rear of another portable system that is essentially a PS2, one of the most successful consoles in gaming history. Afterall, at some point you really cannot consider it a gimmick anymore. But thre's more to the story. They made a game machine that plays... games. Some people define that as 'killing time'. Okay. You're using fun to kill time. That's what any game is, story or not. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, no problemo. It's not Nintendo's fault that lots of people want to play quick simple games.

Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: Instead of coming up with a new and creative time waster, why not come up with something really inovative....where you are actually immersed in a story....an original story....with characters that arent as played out and cliche as freakin Ronald McDonald...

Been done before. That's not 'innovative'. Lots of games attempt this, not all of them succeed. For every Zelda game there's a ton that drift into the mists of time without anybody really remembering it. In the mean time, Nintendo's given you better human interaction devices. This is a Good Thing TM. Ask anybody who ever played San Andreas on the PS2 or XBOX.

Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: But it sells more units and makes more profit, and really thats all its about is selling a product, no matter how disapointing.

Dissapointing products don't sell. Ask Sony about that.

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by JohnD: What's a fanboy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy good description.

Like i said before in another thread it would seem that Nintendo is going a different route from the competition. They are not interested in making multimedia centers to attract casual gamers, rather they want to attract them by showing them innovative gameplay. They seem like the game industries Mcgyver (minus the mullet), they have existing technology and use it to create something inventive, they are quite resourceful in that respect.

06 June 2006
People need to realise that many gamers are attached to the Nintendo characters and this gives the games a better feel. Thhere is no reason to come up with different worlds if the ones they have now work just fine. Imagine if every Mario game had a different character, with a different, look, proffesion and name. That would be silly. ikewise with their other franchises.

If you still don't understand, how about Metal Gear Solid with a different commando everytime game?

All these games use the same characters and worlds but they innovate in gameplay. The main exception would probably be Final Fantasy but taht is a very story driven game so no ned to continue characters. I personally don't find the games open enough due to their focus on story but meh.. that's just me

Tomek

06 June 2006
And i suppose Metal Gear solid 4 and HALO 3 makes sony and micorsoft uncreative?

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: For all of you Nintendo lovers let me remind you (how quickly we forget the negatives of the past) blowing on and popping up and down NES carts if you even wanted to play a game....and how many times did you really wanna get back to a saved game and just gave up cuz the thing wouldnt even start.....I remember those days.....thats why as soon as PC emulation came around i retired the console.....never had an emulated cart fail on me.

While yes it is entirely true that Nintendo has made pretty sturdy systems since they came out of the stone age and ditched the Cart system (so that would be gamecube only) they still havent had an original title in about 20 years.......they made about 5 titles and remade it over and over and over and over and over again.....HOW MANY MARIO GAMES CAN YOU MAKE??? or Metroid, or Yoshi (a spin off of freakin mario) or megaman, castlevania, donkey kong.....the over played and way too overdone Zelda series is the only thing they've done in a while that at least had a story.......COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL FOR GODS SAKE!!

Wow, Wii is motion control.....woohoo....DS has a touch screen.....ooooo, awesome gimmick that wears very thin after about 20 mins of gameplay.....nintendo has become the Flash Arcade of consoles.....kinda reminds me of high end graphics versions of those little tiger games we had as kids.....no substance, no story, just a way to kill some time while waiting for the bus.

Instead of coming up with a new and creative time waster, why not come up with something really inovative....where you are actually immersed in a story....an original story....with characters that arent as played out and cliche as freakin Ronald McDonald...

But it sells more units and makes more profit, and really thats all its about is selling a product, no matter how disapointing.

Nintendo does come up with innovative titles. Geist, Pikmin, Brain Age, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Disaster Day of Crisis, Animal Crossing, Chibi-Robo, DS Air, Elite Beat Agents, Magnetica, Meteos, etc.

It's just because there's only one or two in these series why you've been "left out in the cold" about their existence. Nintendo keeps making Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong games because they're popular. Convince people to stop buying those games and Nintendo will stop creating sequels. Personally I still want another StarTropics sequel.

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Womball: Is it me, or does anyone else also find the size difference hilarious?

Well, you now what they say about a guy with a big console, right?

06 June 2006
The gamecube can still be broken by the spirit of a hateboy, and so can the heart of a kid lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfmx4sZNhXU This reminds me of the time my electronics teatcher killed my tamagotchi

back on topic, we will see how this turns out of nintendo, they seem to really be getting popular these days.

06 June 2006
Strange... My experience is quite the opposite... I have a 4, 2, and 1 year old all throwing, dropping,a dn palyign with my wavebirds, and standard without a problem...

Originally Posted by psyop63b: Wish I could say that my experience with GC controllers showed them to be just as durable... but alas, drop one on a hard surface and you'll be lucky if ANY buttons work afterward.

06 June 2006
Not to brag or sound like an idiot but... I will be totally honest...and sort of off subject...

Products I usually buy or am attracted to, end up winning and being the most succesful in the market (in the medium time window, that usually matters most).

I have not purchased the 360.
I will not purchase the PS3.
I will buy the Nintendo.
Wii wins.

oh and I didn't even own a game cube. So don't go off on how I'm a fanboy...

06 June 2006
Pikmin, Odama, DK Jungle Beat, Kirby Air Ride, Eternal Darkness, Wario Ware, Nintnedogs, Brain Age, Tetris DS...
Seems to me Nintendo is the only company actively looking to innovate. Unless you want a generic FPS or a GTA clone, you will be buying a Nintendo game.

Originally Posted by Gentle Fury: they still havent had an original title in about 20 years.......they made about 5 titles and remade it over and over and over and over and over again.....

06 June 2006
i think nintendo is the most creative of them all. it seems the other titles seem to mostly be making cliche games that strictly fall into a genre. like fps and rpg seem to be the big ones. but i do like oblivion.

06 June 2006
Innovation for once...

It's funny when when people sometimes talk about how the 360 and Ps3 have great graphics and that's the future, but it isn't. Graphics are nice, but innovation will make a system really shine. I'm loving the WII because it did something new. It's controller. I like how it acts as a light gun with the stick controling movement. If you tilt the remote, your hand in game will tilt(Red Steel). In the Tony Hawk game coming out for the WII, you hold it like a tech deck in a way and shake it when you need to boost. I mean, it has great potential to make games more interactive. Just my two cents.

06 June 2006
saying that because there are loads of mario games means nintendo make sno innovation is stoopid. they re-use famous characters to allow them to make new and different games, the character carries the game in relation to marketing, but the underlying game is often quite inventive. while alot of other companies tend to do the opposite, new IPs in the same old formula. Why is it that Nintendo has some of the most recognisable IPs because they re-invent them.

a bit like madonna :-Z

06 June 2006
Quote: Geist, Pikmin, Brain Age, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Disaster Day of Crisis, Animal Crossing, Chibi-Robo, DS Air, Elite Beat Agents, Magnetica, Meteos, etc. Pikmin, Odama, DK Jungle Beat, Kirby Air Ride, Eternal Darkness, Wario Ware, Nintnedogs, Brain Age, Tetris DS...

Hmmm, okay. This should be fun. And possibly get me more flames than a "pimped out" Honda Civic....

Geist, if if it wasn't just another FPS clone with the stolen gimmick from Messiah, it was still a crapfest.

Pikmin, oh, gee... great. I always wondered what would happen if Nintendo made their own Realtime Strategy game. Thank you for taking the view of Sacrifice and reducing the entire concept of RTS games to primary colors...

Brain Age, nothing bad to say here. I love it. Aside from the whole "draw africa" start up sequence each day.

Project HAMMER. I dare someone to say this doesn't look like a generic action game.

Disaster: Day of Crisis. Disaster Report. If you never played this game, you're an idiot in need of education.

Animal Crossing. What happens when Nintendo makes The Sims?

Chibi-Robo. Not made by Nintendo. Published....

DS Air.... wha? Seriously. What is this game?

Elite Beat Agents. Once again, not made by Nintendo. Published. And considering the bang up job Nintendo did in song selection for Donkey Konga 2, I have little faith the music won't suck. "Oh please, Nintendo! I totally want to motivate a horse to capture a thief on a motorcycle to Good Charlotte."

Magnetica... if you've never seen this game before, you live a sheltered life. It's pretty much a popular online puzzle game brought to console.

Meteos... Not Nintendo... published.

DK Jungle Beat. Okay, you got me here. Good game.

Odama. Instead of giving us lame Pinball adventure games, just rip off the best one, Pinball Quest, and call it quits. Hey Nintendo, 1970 called, they want their pinball popularity back.

Kirby Air Ride. Eight years late on delivery and 20 years late on design.

Eternal Darkness. Umm, yeah, even if you never heard of Alone in the Dark, there is still Resident Evil. Good game, but about as innovative as Warioland 3.

WarioWare. Okay, so we have this great series we've been running into the ground called Mario Party. People love the minigames. So let's just make a game series that's nothing but minigames. Incidently, 2 of the 4 Warioware series has been good. The rest have been rushed crappiles.

Nintendogs. Go back 10 years to Dogz. Same thing, but better graphics and more to do. Just because it's a gameplay style dusted off from long, long ago doesn't make it innovative. Oh wait, Nintendo fans also believe Famicom Wars was the first turned based strategy war game too sooo....

Tetris DS. Wait, your arguement for innovation comes from Tetris? BWA HAHAHAHA HA

Look, I love Nintendo but most of the game designs come from the "something borrowed" category. And while I WISH I couldsay Nintendo is the king of innovation, so far with the Wii, Nintendo has only answered the obvious questions on how to use the new technology. Just as they have done on DS. And DS currently remains the ONLY area of Nintendo quality right now. Most of your Gamecube games suck compared to their N64 counterparts.

I want a return to the only Nintendo. The one that demanded I play it loud while offering games like Unicycles without some line about how "everyone of every age can enjoy this innovative title."

Thread Closed share thread