Autodesk Maya 2015 and Max 2015 previews

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by cresshead: easy to comment on today's announcement:

Maya - yeh!
3DSMax - Boo.

great last year it was the other way around...

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Sil3: Max future is Bright

Yeah, at the end of the tunnel... we all know what that means

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Bullit: No nodebase editor.

Bifrost goes at Auuuutodeeeeeesk pace: slow

So it is a fluid simulator without spray and foam yet. At least it is what fxguide article says.

Which means practically not ready for production.

Maybe in 2018 they can compete with Realflow...

And if someone thinks that ICE version 2 will grow from it, i'll not be so sure. Safer to put your eggs in Houdini.

Yup another half finished release, Its interesting to see Bifrost is supposed to be a standalone app. No doubt due to the poor code base in Maya and the required ability to multithread. The lack of open VDB will exclude it from a lot of the major company pipelines as that's whats everyone is using now.

b

Last edited by mr Bob : 03 March 2014 at 10:29 PM.

03 March 2014
I think Investors on Autodesk stock should file a class action lawsuit...they are doing everything in their power to drive their revenue down. First they never deliver on XBR, then the drop XSI development, now they put out a joke release for max like this...seriously WTF?

I for one am done with Autodesk. I have been using Max for 18 years now and every year for the past 5 years it's nothing but empty promises. Pure ridiculousness that they would call this a release. Why am I surprised? I mean it's been one big epic fail after another for the past 5 years why should anything be different about this year? I mean I am done with them buying up plugins that I have already purchased and integrating them into the package. I mean really Quad chamfer? While it is very useful you can already buy a plugin for like $50. and the new placement tool while cool there have been scripts that are free for years that do this same sort of thing.

The only good thing they managed is the faster viewports, but we will have to wait and see how they really perform before we can say if it's really all that good.

To me it truely just doesn't justify the cost of subscription, while Maya on the other hand got a bunch of cool upgrades... Why...Autodesk....Why?

03 March 2014
Quote: Speaking about roadmaps after the recent SI EOL, I would like to know your exact vision regarding Bifröst. Conctrete things, not tech site interviews.

You will not get any vision regarding Bifrost and even if you got you will be crazy to believe them.

Right now Bifrost is fluid system that is not ready for production except in very specific cases= read almost none...

You'll probably can bet they will add foam,spray and the usual fluid stuff in next releases. So in few years they will have a functional fluid tool.

And it is just that a Fluid System, it is not ICE, and it appears to not be integrated with the mess that currently Maya is (i think they have 4 different hair systems in it).

So no. Don't bet in an alternative to ICE in near term.

For that get a Softimage license while you can or a Houdini one.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Narann: Maya 2015 seems to be a very good version. To be honest, more I see "we choose to get the best modern approach and put the rest to the trash", more I like it! I'm always afraid Maya devs could choose to "don't move" and this rewrite of some commonly used tool is very welcome!

It's a little sad Bitfrost seems to have been "quasi-added" just to have valuable version while it doesn't seems to be truly what we could expect from it.

Now remove the old shitty light-linking tools and create a true procedural lighting workflow!

I'd rather them take a look at what's good in the 3 programs and build a new application based off that, having a system that's modern and gets rid of how programs get bloated over time. Sure it would cost a lot more but they are best suited to be able to do that, and if it's good then it could replace all 3 programs.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by bjoern: But why for god sake... does this look like Duncan's 80's overgrowing long paintFX menues.
I freaking hate it! Move on, jesus

Well things that are still great in Maya are
- PaintFx
- nCloth
- Maya Fluid
And They are all somehow related to Duncan ! i don't want to be an AD advocate, but Duncan is a Jedi of the CGI community even if Dark Vador is paying his bill ...

Anyway now we know that the horse that will not be butcher is Maya. Great release !
Even if i agree with Mr bob , open VDB is a game changer from an FX pov, it's like blu-ray when you test it you can't go back to DVD . Same thing with OpenVDB in H ...

Cheers

E

Last edited by SebKaine : 03 March 2014 at 05:20 PM.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by oglu: great last year it was the other way around...

So why not charge once in two years then?

@Bullit... You are right. I wanted to say the same, but feeling for the poor devs who struggle with a 20 years old jenga codebase, I tried to be nice at this release advent.

Other improvements in maya make up for this release though. Modelling&texturing tools, voxel skinning, opensubdiv are strong. With alembic, there's actually no need for maya to try to compete with Houdini anyway...

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by SebKaine:
Anyway now we know that that horse that will not be butcher is Maya. Great release !
Even if i agree with Mr bob , open VDB is a game changer from an FX pov, it's like blu-ray when you test it you can't go back to DVD . Same thing with OpenVDB in H ...

Cheers

E

lol More like F1 sports car, compared to being asked to drive a 1980's Datsun that was good good at the time but now well past its best.

b

03 March 2014
node based OpenVDB is already in Softimage thanks to a talented Oleg Bliznuk, who has converted many of the OpenVDB functions into individual ICE nodes. You can procedural model volumes, advect fields , add noises as well as IO / Meshing etc as per the OpenVDB documentation I'm doing this inside of Softimage 2013, but according to Autodesk's latest and greatest 2015 releases, am I assuming its only Houdini and Softimage can do this? (node based OpenVDB programming)

OpenVDB inside Softimage ICE

03 March 2014
this may or may not be true, but this is how i'm feeling today....cast your minds back to the whoo har on previous releases that were awful from 3dsmax..enter well known 'celebrity' name...hire him...everyone say ohh...about time too...phew we're saved...3dsmax will be cool....then he stays for a couple of months and moves sideways out of the 3dsmax spot light...then we get max 2014...lack lustre edition....

and another hoo harr erupts...even spreading to old timers in other areas on the net...enter celeb number 2.0...now he's on board it's all gonna be cool...

and yet here we are 3dsmax 2015 feature list with a list of stuff that could be free scripts of 20 euro plugins.....

have we been sucker punched twice?

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

03 March 2014
Wow, even the egg spline release of Max was better than this. All I can say is, what a turd of a Max release. AD should be ashamed.

03 March 2014
can someone check the date for me...it's not April 1st today right?

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

03 March 2014
Bob Dylan comes to mind :

'Don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows'..

Cheers,
Brian

03 March 2014
I was just thinking that this is exactly why AD did away with upgrades this year and forced everyone to subscriptions. Looking at Max 2015 no one in their right mind would pay for it.

reply share thread