Autodesk Maya 2015 and Max 2015 previews

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Strob: Is there anyone who can explain this undo redo button feature to me?... Is this some kind of joke? they decided to put bigger undo/redo button. we already had small ones... Who asked for this? Is there anyonw saying: "I have been waiting for the bigger undo redo button since many years!". Who could predict: in 3dsmax 2015 the first new feature in the pdf will be "bigger undo and redo button".

Ok sorry I'm getting emotional today... Now I understand how softimage user felt the other day. Ok it's not that bad for max users. But still very disapointing.

I really really do not understand how this thing gets into the whats new doc, but in essence it just means, that the undo buttons are put back to the main toolbar , where they where until Max 2010, when the introduction of that "clown button" aka jewel button happened.
Now the buttons returned to their original home, nothing more , nothing less ..
It's a good thing that they are back there in the main toolbar, but that surely does'nt count as new feature in the slightest sense

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by spacefrog: I really really do not understand how this thing gets into the whats new doc

I guess they had to fill those big empty pages somehow...

03 March 2014
Now I watched all the videos about max new features and I have some positive things to say!

The viewport enhancement can go unnoticed in a list of new feature cause it's easy to just say "we made it faster" without the numbers. But when the numbers come out, we see if it is truly amazing or not.

This one looks like truly amazing to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhqeLZteUU

It's the kind of improvement that will allows you to save money by not buying a 5000$ quadro card. (maybe some money we can use to upgrade to an ultimate suite with maya and mudbox (4780$ I think) ).

I really like the new layer and scene explorer editor and the placement tool. Both tools I will use everyday.

And still they fixed a lot of anoying things with the new system they put in place and we have to be patient and wait the next version or next extension to really see wha the new developement team will come up with.

So after some emotional moment when seeing the confirmation about bifrost not being in max, I still have great hope for 3ds MAX!

In fact if the next extension has Bifrost, I see a great future for 3ds max and I see myself still using 3ds max 2055 when I'll be 80 years old...

And I just saw on the FXguide interview that Bifrost in Maya has no viscus fluids or surface tension, no smoke or plume style gas sims, no foam and spray... ( so yes, it's not production ready like someone said). Stuff that has already been implemeted in the amazing Chaosgroup's PhoenixFD for 3ds max (and maya too). So we may get it in max once it is ready anyway... They also talk about Bifrost standalone acrhitecture being also vital if the 3ds Max team want to harness Bifröst. So we may get it in max once it ready with splash and foam and viscous liquids!

Last edited by Strob : 03 March 2014 at 08:41 PM.

03 March 2014
I feel like these releases are starting to really distinguish the two apps from each other. They'll probably all get each other's features, but max will get all the new rendering stuff first while maya gets all the animation/effects stuff first. That said, the new features listed in max seem a little on the skimpy side. There's a lot of blank pages in that pdf

Originally Posted by spacefrog: I really really do not understand how this thing gets into the whats new doc, but in essence it just means, that the undo buttons are put back to the main toolbar , where they where until Max 2010, when the introduction of that "clown button" aka jewel button happened.
Now the buttons returned to their original home, nothing more , nothing less ..
It's a good thing that they are back there in the main toolbar, but that surely does'nt count as new feature in the slightest sense

yeah it's neat that removing a previous "feature" is now a new "feature"

then again, the undo/redo command is hugely important. It needs to be documented in a huge way so everyone knows where it went, hence why they probably wanted to list it first.

Last edited by sentry66 : 03 March 2014 at 08:43 PM.

03 March 2014
I wonder how many people use the actual buttons enough to care what they look like

03 March 2014
New Feature???
Material XML Export (the Material XML Export utility) has been discontinued in 3ds Max 2015.

03 March 2014
I think you can clearly see where AD are putting they're full weight at the moment.. and it's MAYA vs Houdini.. just look at the amount of biFrost videos they released.. I never saw them trying so hard to market something.. (if only they tried half as hard marketing Softimage...)

Looks like Soft was first and easiest to kill.. but it seems Max's days are numbered too...

that is just my opinion..

www.ozadi.com

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Iro: New Feature???
Material XML Export (the Material XML Export utility) has been discontinued in 3ds Max 2015.

Did they not know what a massive insult this PDF was before they wrote it out?

They've had long enough to look it over?

Where are Autodesk - here and Max underground are flabbergasted by the shite we've been dealt and they are silent on the matter.

03 March 2014
They won't kill Max when it's got a large user base.
Their tactic will be to try and make Maya appealing so people swap on their own accord.
Until they have succeeded in reducing the user base to the point where they can pretend they tried their hardest, but it just wasn't selling like it used to and they want to refocus efforts on one solution for all.

( from a bitter Softimage user)

03 March 2014
easy to comment on today's announcement:

Maya - yeh!
3DSMax - Boo.

I'll phoning my reseller asking to migrate to Maya as Autodesk have abandoned 3dsmax.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 03 March 2014 at 09:31 PM.

03 March 2014
That article about Bifröst over at fxguide, is sure to raise some eyebrows. Not because the current implementation is limited, but there seems to be a "standalone" vision, of Bifröst, that is mysteriously different than the vision of ICE in softimage and the procedural nature of Houdini.

Hey ADSK. Think integrated.
Read a FEM testimonial of a Houdini user and see why you still seem to not get it:

Houdini 13 offers more than just Finite Elements," says Fabiano Berlim, FX Animator at Vetor Zero. “It is Finite Elements connected with the rest of Houdini. Now I can emit particles, that generate heat based on friction, which lights a fire, that causes a solid object to expand and break using the new Finite Element solver."

Speaking about roadmaps after the recent SI EOL, I would like to know your exact vision regarding Bifröst. Conctrete things, not tech site interviews.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by pooby: They won't kill Max when it's got a large user base.
Their tactic will be to try and make Maya appealing so people swap on their own accord.
Until they have succeeded in reducing the user base to the point where they can pretend they tried their hardest, but it just wasn't selling like it used to and they want to refocus efforts on one solution for all.

Exactly this. Max still has a large userbase that Autodesk will gladly collect money from for the next 5 years or so. But unless 2016 has some KILLER new stuff like a UI overhaul and major revolutionary new tools - I wont be surprised if there's no 3ds Max 2020.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

03 March 2014
This is what all the maya people were saying when the pitiful Maya 2010 was released while max was getting all the good stuff. Max even got free unlimited MR network licenses - maya users had to (and still do) pay for them.

Maya is obviously getting all the XSI tech and AD probably expects most XSI users to jump to Maya. Max is going to probably continue to get the new rendering features first to please the arch/vis crowd

Originally Posted by Iro: New Feature???

Yeah, but not as awesome as what's on pages 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 16, 18, 25-26, 28, 30, and 32

32 pages, and 12 are completely blank
The rest have either 1 sentence or a single image listed, except for page 11...which easily could have fit the contents from page 12 onto if they wanted to. The whole thing could have been collapsed into about 6-8 pages.

The maya pdf is 26 pages, packed with stuff on each page, with only the last page being blank - what's the real point of these last pages being blank anyway?

Last edited by sentry66 : 03 March 2014 at 10:02 PM.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by mynewcat: Did they not know what a massive insult this PDF was before they wrote it out?

They've had long enough to look it over?

Where are Autodesk - here and Max underground are flabbergasted by the shite we've been dealt and they are silent on the matter.

Welcome to the party, pal..

Max 2015 kinda reminds me of Softimage 2014... http://download.autodesk.com/global...Number=d30e4770

New Undo/Redo kinda reminds me of the installation new features! http://download.autodesk.com/global...Number=d30e5382

New feature! We've removed 32bit version!

RIP Softimage. F.U Autodesk!

03 March 2014
Maya 2015 seems to be a very good version. To be honest, more I see "we choose to get the best modern approach and put the rest to the trash", more I like it! I'm always afraid Maya devs could choose to "don't move" and this rewrite of some commonly used tool is very welcome!

It's a little sad Bitfrost seems to have been "quasi-added" just to have valuable version while it doesn't seems to be truly what we could expect from it.

Now remove the old shitty light-linking tools and create a true procedural lighting workflow!

reply share thread