20 Times Faster ? No Kidding !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
20 Times Faster ? No Kidding !

article written by Edwin Braun, moderated here by Cedar Thokme, Social Media person.

(please read the full article on LinkedIn:https://tinyurl.com/y7a6243n)

How does the AI-Denoiser help me in gaining rendering speed?The most time spent when creating renderings, with an unbiased path tracing renderer, lies in the reduction of noise in an image. Due to the very nature of unbiased rendering, random rays are sent into the scene to collect information about lights and material properties. If enough random rays are sent, the result will slowly converge into a photorealistic image that will actually represent reality like no other rendering technology would be able to achieve. This is when the AI-Denoiser comes into play, the sooner the noise disappears the faster the final image can be seen and used.Lets have a look at some rendering examples - see those difference in rendering time :

So, in the Illustration above, you can see how much of an impact the AI-Denoiser can have on render times. This scene is a benchmark created by Edwin Braun to test finalRender's ability to render complex lit scenes. This scene uses no lights of any kind, the only source of light comes from a HDRI environment map. Such scene setups are problematic for any kind of renderer, the illumination has to be sampled from a HDR image, which is by definition high in dynamic range. A dark pixel in such an image can easily be right besides an ultra bright pixel which can causes extra noise due to the high dynamic range found in smaller areas of the picture.

please read the full article on LinkedIn:https://tinyurl.com/y7a6243n

03 March 2018
Currently using the nvidia denoiser in an beta app, not incredibly impressed, the results remind me of PRmans denoise, and can produce a watercolor filter look. I would compare it to NEAT denoise post filter, except it does not require a special gpu, which I prefer, not having to have super specific hardware all the time, especially a GPU. The one benefit I can find, unlike NEAT, it does not require multiple frames for good DE-noising results. Personally, I would prefer something that can quickly reduce noise while rendering, not a post effect, but that may be something totally different.

I wish it was more magical . I would say for scenes without much surface detail, smooth surfaces you will see a strong benefit, as for high frequency detail, environments with high amounts of detail, thin geo, reflection noise, nans, not so much.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Last edited by ambassador : 03 March 2018 at 06:50 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
Very interesting, thanks for the info. It's a big leap forward to the real-time work in Viewports. But if the plain surfaces get artifacts, maybe it should be more adaptive? Does it just denoisethe whole image with the same precision?

4 Weeks Ago
Precisely WHAT in the very simple 3D scene on the left would take 12 HOURS to render? Did you render it on a Pentium 1 CPU? Or is it a 18,000 x 12,000 pixel print-resolution render or something?

How is 35 minutes fast for the same very simple 3D scene on the right?

Have you seen the new realtime GPU ray tracing and GPU path tracing videos?

4 Weeks Ago
not to being mean but that 35 images on the right takes like 8 minutes on Redshift or any other gpu engine.. if not lower.

reply share thread