The Sony Bravia ad recreated in CryENGINE 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
The Sony Bravia ad recreated in CryENGINE 2

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=19173

Quote: The video is not pre-rendered and shows off the physics capabilities of the CryENGINE2 in realtime. The engine can handle several hundred "teapots" at once including dynamic shadows which you can see ingame.

The video is based on a level that has been created especially for this showcase. It also can be played live at the Crytek booth on the machines that are provided there. This provides full interaction with the level itself while the physics demonstration is proceding.

Watch the video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30965.html
Download: http://www.gametrailers.com/downloa...pt2_gt_h264.wmv (right click > save as)

Shown and demoed at GDC08.

Last edited by -SD- : 02 February 2008 at 09:48 PM.

02 February 2008
Oh my god!
It's been a long time since Superfrog and Alien Breed..

02 February 2008
oh wow!

i wonder if their next video will be the other commercial, the one with the paint explosions!!!

02 February 2008
Looks damn nice but I would really like to know what machine that was rendered on. Crysis does look bloody gorgeous with maximum detail and speed and gives some hope towards realtime rendering becoming a reality. GFX card rendering would be a real benefit to those who make animations at home but not too worried about the final output being 100% photoreal - just so long at it looks good.

But we shall have to wait and see.

02 February 2008
Hmmm, this did nothing for me , I noticed a few times teapots would suddenly disappear. The teapots just didn't look right to me, overly washed out!?

Website
Life in Black and White

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by samartin: The teapots just didn't look right to me, overly washed out!?

If you pay attention to the ending that shows the CE2 logo you'll notice that this video is an offscreen one so the washed-out look might have something to do with it.

Can't wait for the high-bitrate direct feed version of this video, and the possible real-time version.

02 February 2008
Ya know, I think it is indeed impressive, but I would be quite interested in seeing more on how it was made... flat polygons mapped with photos look mighty impressive and require little to no calculations. Still impressive though with all the physics and shadows, etc.

Of course this is one more insult as to why game engines like this can do all this in realtime, yet programs that cost thousands of dollars would probably take minutes/hours to calculate just the bounces - let alone actually displaying all this in realtime.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by Szos: Ya know, I think it is indeed impressive, but I would be quite interested in seeing more on how it was made... flat polygons mapped with photos look mighty impressive and require little to no calculations. Still impressive though with all the physics and shadows, etc.

Of course this is one more insult as to why game engines like this can do all this in realtime, yet programs that cost thousands of dollars would probably take minutes/hours to calculate just the bounces - let alone actually displaying all this in realtime.

You know the cost of CryEngine and Unreal Engine 3 is FAR more than the combined cost of all vfx software in the market now. A royalty free version of UE3 is not afordable for most mid-size game studios. Although the pricing options have gotten better now, still not for the average game development studios.

That aside, the only thing that I can say that is really aswesome is the city and the physics itself. The characters are not really that great. But considering it as a demo mod for physics and interation, I think it is awesome

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by -SD-: If you pay attention to the ending that shows the CE2 logo you'll notice that this video is an offscreen one so the washed-out look might have something to do with it.

Can't wait for the high-bitrate direct feed version of this video, and the possible real-time version.

I did notice that the 2nd time round that I watched it, I'm still not impressed! The contrast of the video is great and the teapots are lacking in contrast, they don't look like they belong! It's quite impressive having the soft shadows, physics but have you seen the UT3 engine for GoW2 on the 360? A lowly 360 running hordes of animated "walk-cycle" locusts with semi-intelligent physics sat behind it...

Website
Life in Black and White

02 February 2008
In case you're interested, the Crysis mod SDK is now available:
http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=19181

Crytek also released a free plugin for XSI that exports to the Crytek Sandbox Editor. This is the same plugin that Crytek are using in production they are using XSI.

5 minute getting started tutorial
http://community.softimage.com/showthread.php?t=250

XSI CryExporter video
http://leonardteo.com/cryexporter/

Last edited by Leonard : 02 February 2008 at 03:35 AM.

02 February 2008
I downloaded this video demo the other night and it took me a second to realise what they were doing. It made me grin.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by rakmaya: That aside, the only thing that I can say that is really aswesome is the city and the physics itself. The characters are not really that great. But considering it as a demo mod for physics and interation, I think it is awesome

This is a bog ordinary particle engine with geometry instancing at work. That, or a rigidbody simulation with a spherical collision envelope (= basic collision distance check to other geometry). Either way, the spouts of the teapots aren't in the simulation. Neither is the less than perfectly spherical teapot body. A teapot shape will never bounce as evenly as a rubber ball. It will deflect sideways at strange angles when it hits something.

The city is all photo textures. Aside from closeup stuff its very low poly. A DOF shader hides that.

Same with the UT3 tech demo the other day. The water and softbody effects in it have been done in other demos. The flocking used a very simple algorithm. And the environment destruction was done 7 years ago in Red Faction.

Its not horrible stuff but it just isn't what gamedevs were promising would be possible around now. Take the GPU shaders away and these demos will look like they were done in 2000.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by bluecanvas: This is a bog ordinary particle engine with geometry instancing at work. That, or a rigidbody simulation with a spherical collision envelope (= basic collision distance check to other geometry). Either way, the spouts of the teapots aren't in the simulation. Neither is the less than perfectly spherical teapot body. A teapot shape will never bounce as evenly as a rubber ball. It will deflect sideways at strange angles when it hits something.

You might want to watch it again. Yes, it's a geometry instancing particle system, but it's handling the geometry the way you would expect. Watch the irregularity of the spin and it's clear that the mass is offset by the handle and spout. Imagine if you actually threw a teapot of that size made of rubber down a hill. The overall pot mass would still propel it forward like a rubber ball, but would have an irregular spin and bounce due to it's non uniform shape, just like the simulation is doing.

Not to mention the fact it's handling motion blur, dof, softshadowing, HDR and translucency.

At the end of the day, it looked pretty damn good, regardless of what it was doing technically.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by erilaz: Not to mention the fact it's handling motion blur, dof, softshadowing, HDR and translucency.

realy impressive !

but i'm somehow suspicious about the motionblur

having a complete moving teapot mblured - yes okay -
but the chicken near the end of the clip where the faster moving wingtips are mblurred more than the chickenbody itself - looks unbelieveable good for relatime.
This means the engine does handle motionblur on a per-pixel-base then - i guess
or is it vertex-speed based ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

02 February 2008
I'm pretty sure its per pixel...

I think the technique they use is calculate the motion vectors then blur the images based on that..

So its a 2D blur...

Thread Closed share thread